Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I attended a large belly dance convention last weekend in south fl .They had a class on fire for belly dancers presented by Luna the Fire Goddess. if anyone gets the chance to attend one of Luna's workshops I highly recomend it . She even taught an old dog like me a few new tricks .I was very impressed by her extreme knowagle of the fire arts
saftey fuels tools etc. I love listening to some one present a fire workshop who can let go of their ego and let the passion for the flame take over.I was even lucky enough to get to dance with her later that night on the beach ubbloco

It was a weekend of heavan for me beatiful belly dancing girls running all over the place in thier little harem girl costumes and the way they moved i am sure this will expand my range of dance with poi alot .

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
fire... belly... dancing... * Starts to have flash backs to a video which was made to watch by force...* frown

(Sorry Riz... now, back to topic...)
Is this only in the U.S. or are they a traveling group???

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Arsn,

What Riz is talking about is actually called Spirit of the Tribes, and it is an annual event put on for tribal based bellydancers from all over the world om Florida. Workshops, vending and one of the longest dance shows you will ever sit through.

Luna was a workshop teacher, among many there.

There are, however many, many fire performers who bellydance....Luna (one woman, not a troupe), me, arashi, Fyrae, Urban Gypsy, Ultra Gypsy, to name but a few...and yes, they all travel and some of us even teach! wink The whole bellydance with fire thing is quite old really, with humble beginnings in the beautiful candle dancing..and just moving up from there. Finding a safe and knowledgable teacher (even in Oz) is not hard, mainly because I think belly dancers are more careful with fire. We have costumes worth hundreds of dollars, and usually with some form of melty material involved! wink

I also have to say that this is the first of more than a dozen Tribal Bellydance conventions this year, and over half will have fire as a presentation point, so if anyone is US-side and is depressed they missed it, there will be many more going on through out the year!

P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Pele
Yes there were many troupes at the tribes I got to meet alot of them .I do believe
Luna the Fire Goddess does head up a troupe she had two of her stundents perform with her in the all tooooooooooooooo longggggggggggggg show.it was like 3.5 hrs my ass is still flat from sitting that long .
They were the only troupe that used spinning arts (no fire was allowed ) It was real interesting to see how they combined spinning moves with bellydance the best part was how they introduced the spinning tools i would have never thought of how they did nor would have any one watching when they pulled it off.
It was at the beach that fri night after the show is when the fire dancers came out to play you are right with how they handle fire much different than fire dancers per say
they all freaked when I spun off on the sand leaving a trail of flames then standing in the middle of it dancing away.

all the hair and the costumes they wear not good for big fire candles and hand held stuff seems to be par for them.Well anyhow it was a great time for me .I was just so impressed with Luna the Fire Goddess's presentation i thought I would share it .

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFL@Arsn ... i still have to send you pictures hhun wink

Riz beautiful angel friend .. why is it that those exciting things happen as soon as shibaki and I leave town ??? umm
I cannot wait to see you dance now ,bro , and will keep an eye open for that lady Luna cause she sounds pretty spcial biggrin
has she gotten jennifer to get back into dancing her amazing dance ? smile

missing you incredibly
shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

in the all tooooooooooooooo longggggggggggggg show.it was like 3.5 hrs my ass is still flat from sitting that long .

If I had have thought about it sooner I would have warned you to bring one of those inflatable seats. Though 3.5 is not bad. Johara had one year where it went close to 5 hours! Just think of it as your initiation! wink

Quote:

They were the only troupe that used spinning arts (no fire was allowed ) It was real interesting to see how they combined spinning moves with bellydance the best part was how they introduced the spinning tools i would have never thought of how they did nor would have any one watching when they pulled it off.

When and if you get more into the dance community you will see some incredible stuff. What is shown at Spirit Of The Tribes is actually small in comparison, since most of the west coast people tend to not make it there and most of this stuff is west coast based. You might want to look into Rakasah West, Tribal Quest North West and Tribal Fest, just to name a few. There are far more fire peeps at those who dance, and you will see stuff that is truly amazing, both with fire and without.

Quote:

It was at the beach that fri night after the show is when the fire dancers came out to play you are right with how they handle fire much different than fire dancers per say
they all freaked when I spun off on the sand leaving a trail of flames then standing in the middle of it dancing away.

Being part of both fire and dance communities I have had the chance to see the cross overs and reactions, and it is funny. There are things the dancers would not conceive of doing, and then the same in return for spinners. I see it alot with sideshow stuff too.
It is amazing when you start to cross these subculture boundaries to experience, learn and share what is really out there vs. what we know within our own "world". I love that exchange personally.

Quote:

all the hair and the costumes they wear not good for big fire candles and hand held stuff seems to be par for them.Well anyhow it was a great time for me .

Funny isn't it? We will put hair spray and even fake hair on, slap on a silk based costume (though tribal has alot of cotton and velvet) and wave candles around as if it doesn't matter at all. I never even thought about fire safety as a candle dancer, until I crossed into fire arts presentations. lol Ahhhh...what we do for art! lol

Glad you had a good time. Does this mean you will be taking up some bellydance? It's becoming not so uncommon thing for men. And think of it this way, you will be outnumbered by women in the class at least 5 to one, if not more! Stand in the back and wait till you learn the lower body shimmies! wink lol

hug
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Cass sweety

Life is real sweet here getting adjusted to my new life of being single.and so you know that inner light is burning again full force
biggrin I have been stuying the footage shibaki made of you and I am stealing your moves one by one ubbloco I cant wait for you both to get back state side I miss you guys so much

Yes I am going to take up some bellydance so many of the the moves would work well with my style whatever that style may be :::::::::::laughs:::::::::

Jen is doing good she is sexy as ever she is slowy kicking that rave dance crap she fell into there for a while and getting back to her normal self .I will see her this sunday and send her you love

be safe and stay in touch I will send some pics of the burn in south fl as soon as I get them

Riz

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Riz!

Yo man wave

that is so good to hear... i can hardly wait to see your cheesing smile as you dance. you say you been stealing those moves from cass's vids? then i know that smile is getting stolen very first thing!

we are going to see you SOON of course not soon enough. until then, keep setting your life on fire, and i will do the same...

Shibaki peace

Wow

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Jeff

Bro good to hear from you . I didnt need to steal the chessy smile It came back on its own after the housecleaning .I even get that dazed look now when doing fire isnt life great.
hey I loved the pics of mount doom bro a tip Hiking boots not flip flops your feet were tore up ::::laughs:::::
Be safe in your travels see you both very soon

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I really, really want to incorporate some fire into my belly dancing, in the future...but I want to go past candle dancing into something a bit more dramatic.

I've tried dancing and spinning poi, and I'm just not that coordinated...I'd set my skirts on fire!!!

What are some alternatives that I could work on that would work well with the snaky arm movements...I know I've seen fire orbs, but I don't know alot about them.

Suggestions, please?

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
fire fingers...!! hug

Non-Https Image Link

ummm, that old chestnut, the fire fans... fire fan shopping ... although I think, without having actually used either, that the fingers will probably be more maneuverable than the fans

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
*giggle*...leave it to my sweet hippie to make the first suggestions...and actually, they might be quite fun...will have to ask Caroleena if she knows where I can get some...or make some, myself, I guess...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
hey baby... while she's not around, posting on HoP much, I think bunny lurks some; and she belly dances and uses fire fingers:

6351greenandyellowfingers

bunny was the lucky girl that got to do the rachel brice workshops, when she was over here (in melbourne only *grumble, grumble*)

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
*pout*...I know...been begging Rachel, on her tribe page to make a trip to Brissie...seems quite a few people want her in other parts of Oz...

Oh, Bunny lady...how's to makes the fire fingers?

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
*confused*
In the first photo what are the fire blobs at her waist?
Is it some kind of fire skirt?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
It's probably just a base around her hips with the spokes attached...I've seen those, before...they just look a bit cumbersome, to me...I'd be doing good to just deal with one set of fire implements, much less more around my waist... rolleyes

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin