• Все покупки, сделанные в этом месяце, немедленно переходят к розыгрышу, чтобы выиграть USD $ 100.00 к вашей учетной записи HoP.

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:Has anyone played around using lasers in their poi?

Now this is something I'd not recommend to anyone unfamiliar with the precautions required, and the laser classes and associated safety risks - BUT... I can't help but feel it has a lot of potential - imagine spinning great sheets of light!

I'm aquiring a decent power laser source (green at about 5mW) and can get higher, but sticking there for the moment - that's class IIIa, where it's still hard to hurt anyone with it. thinking about mounting the laser near the finger grips and pointing to either a diffusing ball on the end of a cord, or just letting it fly free

Won't be able to play with it properly for a while, and I'll only have the one laser so limited fun - but had to ask if anyone else had tried this and had any success

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete Topic

Chiron

Chiron

back after 5 years...

Total posts: 35
Posted:mmm tricky one that, lasers need a medium to shine through or at, i.e. smoke, a gauss etc. give it a go and see what it looks like!
probably wouldn't be too dangerous as it would be constantly moving or pointing downwards so unlikely to hit people in the eyes for a sustained period.

Wizard of LED poi !

Delete

Twisthem488

Twisthem488

Total posts: 187
Posted:your right ussualy, but green lasers are so much more powerful that they can shine withough dust, or water spray, or fog or anything like that. But along with that fun comes a lot more danger, they are much more powerful, and therefore can cause more damage quicker. be safe with them.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:I would not recommend using any laser items as poi or performance gear without getting them independantly tested, as sometimes, they are mislabeled as 3A when they are in fact 3B!

Quote:
Class 1 lasers are deemed eye safe under any conditions - they have a maximum output of 0.4 microwatts and even if viewed for prolonged periods of time, they do not produce eye damage.

Class 2 lasers emit no more than 1 milliwatt and are eye safe because the intensity of the radiation is such that if the beam enters a person's eye, he will blink and turn his head away. This is called the aversion response and typically limits the exposure to about 0.25 seconds during which time the radiation will not produce irreversible damage in the eye.

Class 3 is split into two: Class 3A which has an upper power output limit of 5 milliwatts aand Class 3B which has a limit of 500 milliwatts. Class 3A is confined to lasers that emit visible radiation and the beam diverges in such a manner that when it reaches the eye in any likely exposure conditions, sufficient energy to cause damage to the retina cannot enter the eye pupil. Class 3B lasers are very likely to cause damage to the eye before the aversion response operates.

Class 4 lasers emit more than 500 milliwatts and are capable of causing serious irreversible damage

Laser pointers are, or should be, class 2 or 3A, but some imports that come from poorly regulated sources have turned out to be inside the class 3B rating whem marked class 3A. These are obviously potentially hazardous. How can one be sure that one has not got a rogue pointer? Short of testing it yourself on calibrated test gear, you have to rely on the integrity of the supplier just as we all do with other technical products likes powerful drugs, household chemicals and electrical devices for the home. If you have any doubts, the local trading standards people should be able to help. But we don't get excited and ban all electric fires just because some unsafe ones are occasionally imported....

The rest of this article can be found HERE

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:Quote:
your right ussualy, but green lasers are so much more powerful that they can shine withough dust, or water spray, or fog or anything like that. But along with that fun comes a lot more danger, they are much more powerful, and therefore can cause more damage quicker. be safe with them.

Oddly not true... though it seems self-evident

the eye is 5x more sensitive to green light so a 1mw green laser will appear 5x brighter than a 1mW red laser.... with no change in how dangerous/harmful they are.

part of why I'm using green wink

charles is right about some of them being misclassed so will be testing it - thank god for having a lighting&sound production guy as a flatmate biggrin

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

Geeza
GOLD Member since May 2006

Geeza

addict

Total posts: 694
Posted:How would you diffuse the light at the end? Seems like a great idea. Something on the lines of this (but nowhere near as powerful)

Delete

Geeza

Geeza

addict

Posted:shining it into a diamond at the bottom would look amazing when spun around i think

Delete

Geeza

Geeza

addict

Posted:frostypaw - I have just bought a true green 30mW laser. Any idea about how safe they are as oppose to IR?

Delete

*HyperLight
BRONZE Member since Dec 2003

*HyperLight

old hand

Total posts: 1174
Posted:I've not played with one myself, but I've often thought about it as a potential upgrade for my toys. For a commercial product though, lasers add another level of danger over high intensity LEDs so please heed everyone's warnings and take care if you spin them in public. Sounds like you're already well aware of that though wink

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! biggrin

Cake or Death?

Delete

Geeza

Geeza

addict

Posted:Well my laser came, its safe to say its not really safe to be used as poi! If you get a deflection off a window you see a nice spot for about 10 seconds.
A very good 'diffusing ball' would be needed on the end as its pretty god damn powerful. (can see the beam clearly at night for miles)

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:if you click the video on the bottom right you get a wicked short video they have something like laser poi although I thing they are swing clubs... they have the best glow props ever wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Geeza

Geeza

addict

Posted:Video at the bottom right? Who is they?

cheers

Delete

wheim42
SILVER Member since Jun 2011

stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:What if you were to put them in a poi head facing towards your hand, at least 3, (bear with me) so that the beams all focused on your hand. I was just thinking if you did that, though it wouldn't be as cool as facing outwards, it'd be safe and look pretty cool I'd think

Delete

wheim42
SILVER Member since Jun 2011

stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:Oh dude, just buy a diffraction grating. If your laser is powerful enough you can get a few varieties that split the light into different beams

Delete