ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
and by wookie i mean my newest favouritest contact stick, i havnt twirled fast for soooo long as ive been playing with contact for the last 6 months or so, last night i suddenly got the urge to have a speed spin and it all ended in tears when my stick struck the ground rather fast. this made me wonder what sort of core i could have to the staff so that it would be light weight and strong. i was thinking maybe fibre glass, that or finding somewhere that i can get the aluminium hardened but im yet to find anywhere that does parts bigger than 20cm. has anyone played with fibreglass centers?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I know it's off topic but I went to Wookey Hole last weekend!! (No it's not chewbacca's poop shoot) It's a place of natural beauty here in the UK, full-o caves, a ye-olde paper mill and even has a witch!! *cackle cackle* And is only a stones throw away from Glastonbury ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh and as for strong & light staff, I have little experience of them but perhaps an aluminium core covered with fiberglass would give the hard and lightweight properties you need? And wouldn't be overly expensive either and drillable for the attachements you need.

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
frown poor staffy.

Can u bend him back ?

I have no thoughts on design, just my condolences. Oh and I have your hackysacks........................................ ha ha ha....................... biggrin

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
um, wood is pretty good innit?

er, there's different types of it.
one of them should be ok.

i think you get it from trees, but you'd have to ask someone with a real brain.

i traded mine for a pint of guiness. long story...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I would get concerned about having fiberglass near that much heat. of course the sctuall glass threads can take it, but the cured polyeurothane or epoxy would still be suseptable to considerable heat damage.

all you really need is something inside to provide rigidity, not strength - the aluminum is strong enough, just not rigid. If there were not heat involved, I would suggest just using polyeurathane spray foam, but that won't work if you are going to be using fire. What would work is a balsa wood dowel that fits snugly inside the aluminum tube you are using. people have suggested using wooden cores before, but balsa is much lighter than the pine or oak I think most peope are thinking of, and will still provide all the rigidty you need. And it won't melt like fibreglass resins would.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ive found wood either burns cos of a lack of a enough metal protecting it or the metal protecting it heats up heaps cos it doesnt disipate through the whole staff. i shall have much *fun* trying to straighten it out. ta for the idea vanize ill definately give it a try

EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1076416378)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I know it's off topic but I went to Wookey Hole last weekend!! (No it's not chewbacca's poop shoot) It's a place of natural beauty here in the UK, full-o caves, a ye-olde paper mill and even has a witch!! *cackle cackle* And is only a stones throw away from Glastonbury ubblove

You could have visited little me! smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Pretty much everyone i know in the uk uses aluminium tubing with a wood core.

No probs with heat dissipation at all

Slight wood burnage at the ends, but not much if the fit is snug.

Depending on the wood this can make it stronger? (uninformed unscientific not to be trusted opinion)

And fine as long as the wick screws are an inch or so down the length.

Oak for really heavy b*stard contact single staff

ummm lighter wood for others.

Ask mr Bleuchat, he makes lovely sticks.
EDITED_BY: simian (1076419817)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ummm can they tell me where to buy aluminium tubing and nice wood please? The usual homebase/b&q suspects are crap, and indepedant hardware shops just don't exist in my town frown

3,149 posts

Posted:
Homebase and B&Q crap?

whyforeso? they do tubing and wood don't they?

i have some matching four foot dowels and alu tubing (property of bovril)

i'm sure he wouldn't mind me giving you a pair.

although i'd imagine a strapping lad like you would probably want a big heavy five foot, no?

3,149 posts

Posted:
and have you tried yellow pages?

(paper or "e")

edit (x2 rolleyes ) - perhaps this thread will get more responses if brought particularly to the attention of staffing types by moving it to the staff forum.
EDITED_BY: simian (1076420430)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Pretty much everyone i know in the uk uses aluminium tubing with a wood core

i worded myself poorly i ment that only the end 20 cm or so have aluminium on em so that the wood is exposed in the middle.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Hmm, thinking about it, my earlier statement about everyone in the UK using fully alu tubed, wood cored sticks was wrong...

The immensely popular (in the UK) Mushy Pea Steve Staffs use that same a metal ends wood middle design as yours. i think... they're always covered up with flashy holographic paper so its a bit hard to tell.

They don't break often in my experience. Definitely not bend...

which bit of yours has bent? The wood? confused

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I know it's off topic but I went to Wookey Hole last weekend!!

You could have visited little me! smile

D'OH & DOUBLE D'OH!! Sorry Star I forgot all about you living near there
*smacks self on wrists as I had all my poi and meteors with me*
Although I was put off even thinking about it as I was taking my Girlf on a driving lesson going from Bristol to Exeter. It was an interesting experience to say the least!

Next time we go out that way I'll let you know and we'll meet up beerchug

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

which bit of yours has bent? The wood?

my current stick is a hollow 25 mm diameter 1 mm thick 1.5 m aluminium rod with 2 ft of 10 cm wick either end. i really really like the weight cos its so light but the weighting of the end seems to make it nicely balenced.

i tend to make a new staff every few months rolleyes what can i say mmmmm yeah i like new toys biggrin

the other reason i had moved away from the wooden core was cos i like the 25mm diameter and finding 23 mm diameter bits of wood here has proved quite hard and even harder to find one that is 1.5 m the only ones ive found are 1.2 m. the first one i did i have two sticks joining in the middle which bent ubbangel mainly cos i had a 2 ft by a ft wrapped on each end and the heat it gave off made the stick really bendy like so when it got dropped being twirled fast it warped

one day ill find that perfect design .......... one day

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Told you, there's a cheap and cheerful builders yard right near me!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.