Forums > Social Chat > very cool cirque de soleil flaming thing at the academy awards

Login/Join to Participate

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
Did anybody watch the academy awards? The best part of it was cirque de solei's performance. One of the performers used some kind of giant flaming ball that looked like a single poi. He swung it around for a bit and then he spun it in a circle around him on the floor and made a huge circle of flames! Did anybody see it? Does anybody know what it was or how it could be made? I'm sure that some of the amazingly creative minds on HoP must be able to figure it outThanks,Bart

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Just make a poi with an extra large wick.He didn't do a lot and we've seen him do better in his actual circus performance.It was nice to see a fire performer in the public eye like that though.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Essentially....Take a short stick, add a chain to the end of it, add a large wick to that.Saturate the wick and set it on fire.When rolling along the ground the excess fuel will create a circle of fire. Keep spinning over it and the extra air will fan the fire making it bigger.While I was overall impressed with the awards show, and I always love Cirque, I was kind of disappointed in that particular part. He could have done ****so**** much more with it.For similar effects do a search on some of the Hayabola vids, one of the girls did something similar but in two strainght lines.You can also "draw" pre-exsisting designs on the ground and ignite them as well.***Special Note***Never do this on dirt, it bleeds and absorbs.This should be done on a large, FLAT (otherwise you have fire that moves downhill) concrete/macadam space away from buildings, vehicles, etc. Never use water to put out something like this as water spreads fuel fires. If you are going to attempt anything of this nature, make sure to have extra fire extinguishers handy.In the show, if you noticed, he had a special spot with an off color covering on it to do this, that had a circle kind of engraved by fire into it. Once he was done it was removed from the stage.I was wondering how long it would take for this to come up. Three days was longer than I thought! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
yeah, that was really cool. i was watching it with my brother and started shouting straight away, i was just anticipating a really great fire artist... but he kind of let me down. no fancy schtuff whatsoever.they should hire some hop ppls. ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!**squeals in anticipation of next oscars**

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
all he was using was poi with a gaint monkeys fist on it and a circle of per-poured fuel. i have to admit tho...he could have done alot better....but then again he could have done alot worse too....jokker------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
I guess we can all agree the fire guy from Cirque could have been a bit better. Just imagine what a few of you can do for their show. Wow...But looking on the bright side (no pun intended), some of their performers were really cool, such as those guys on the trampoline that looked like they were walking up the wall that was put next to them. And that guy who was walking around with an umbrella, but kinda lost his head somewhere. The rest of the show was mad neat! Wish I could do some of that stuff.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The umbrella guy is from QuidamThe acrobats/gymnasts are from QuidamThe hoola hoop girl is from Saltimbanco and one other.The wall jumpers are from O and one other.THe bunjee cord acrobats are also from Alegria and are used as background in a couple other showsThe silk aerialists are from Dralion, Alegria and SaltimbancoThe fire is O and AlegriaIf you care to see more of them, and other phenominal acts...just check them all out. Shows are touring live and are also available on video. It used to be my goal to work Cirque...but things have changed a bit over time.And there is no fuel set ahead of time on the stage, otherwise the acrobats and such would've slipped on what didn't evaporate. The fuel would also corrode the stage after use after use. Low flashpoint fuels also have a high evaporation rate. What he did is a ****really**** common effect, and quite simple. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK