Forums > Social Chat > deposits and contracts

Login/Join to Participate

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
just a quick question for the professionals out there...I agreed to do a large scale performance for a concert in a month or so. this is our 6th paid show, but its a much bigger performance(and bigger paycheck) than all the rest, so i was wondering if i should set up some sort of contract to sign to make sure we'll get paid, or maybe ask for a bit of a deposit, to make sure we're all serious about the show. what do you guys normally do? the event producer and i agreed to a $700 show, so should i ask him for 100, 200 up front? any ideas? we're in different cities, but should i mail him an informal contract just to make sure it all goes thru? any help would be greatly appreciated....yours in swinging,heph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Heph, nice to hear ya again!Informal? Nope. Go formal all the way, with a deposit. With that much on the line, if you don't feel comfortable asking for half up front then ask for about 1/3, $250, especially if you have never worked with this promoter/organizer before.Take care and break a leg!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Hey, Heph! Haven't seen you around much lately. I will tell you from unrelated experience that it is always best to secure a contract, regardless of if it is even $50. A lot more promoters/event organizers than not are usually cut-throat businessmen/women. They expect lofty turn-outs for their events, and when things don't go as well as they planned, they will shit all the people that they can get away with out of their money, just to cover their butts on the stuff they *have* to pay for. Especially if you are doing a professional performance, get a contract. The deposit is entirely up to your level of comfort. Like Pele said, if you don't know them or anyone who has worked with them, it might be best to seal the deal with a deposit. If they are for real, then they shouldn't have any problem with that. Of course, use your judgement. If it is a couple of rookies just getting started at this, and they have a lot of overhead start-up cost, you might give them a break. Whatever's clever.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
And just out of curiosity...What in the *HELL* are you going to be doing to get paid $700!!! shocked I would love to know, so I could try it. wink

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I agree.... go for at the very least a written contract (of some sort - even just the significant details + cancellation agreement and make sure they sign it), but then it is very reasonable to expect a deposit of at very least 20% - as Pele said it is quite normal to ask for half up front (and then expect the other half straight after the gig...) ...and depending on who is paying, sometimes they will even be happy to pay you in full before you get there, especially if you and they have both signed a contract to say you will be there...We've only ever been not paid for a gig once (and this one was organised by someone else) - and with nothing but a verbal agreement we could do nothing about it... (well, we tried but eventually gave up since it wasn't worth it -long story - the twirler who had organised it *did* get paid frown and we haven't seen him since!).. but if you have a written agreement it is perfectly clear exactly what is expected and when ... and it just adds to how they perceive your professionalism too - they can count on you turning up and doing the job as much as you can count on the stage being there and the cheque at the end of the day...All the best!