Forums > Social Chat > everybody wants to learn poi

Login/Join to Participate

Ferdinandmember
1 post

Posted:
Since last summer I've been teaching myself poi with the help of H.O.P. and am quite proud that I can do all the moves shown here. Now that I did several shows on parties and in disco's, loads of people ask me to teach them. At first I loved to do it but after a while there where so many that I concentrted more on the talented ones. But now I find that there are also a lot of people who have more talent then when I started. My problem is that I am not comforteble with the situation. I'd really love to teach them all but don't have the time to do it, nor do I like to disappoint them and put them through the pain and trouble of teaching themself. How do others deale with this?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Tell them to come to the HoP board!It's what I do!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Peer tutoring. smileI had the same issue at my school when I was teaching poi. I did the same thing I do in my chem classes when there are too many questions for little old me... I let the ones who get it teach the ones who don't.If, once you teach someone a move, you say "Great, now go teach that guy!" Everybody wins, the newbies get to learn from the ex-newbies and the ex-newbies get to show off their new tricks and gain confidence. If you allow one or two of the better newbies be your "aprentices" they'll probably gladly fill the role, in exchange for a tip or two later. Works for me. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I used to get this all the time when I was out. So much that I would spend my entire time teaching/doing poi and no time with my mates. What I did to combat it was set up a spin meet every weds night. If you have no time to do this your self you could encourage one of the other more talented poi-ers in your area to give it a go. When people ask me to teach them poi now when I'm out, I politely say no and give them a flyer with details of the spin meet (and direct them to HOP of course!). I don't take poi out anymore when I go clubbing, unless I am perfofming with fire. With the exception of the Arches at Sheffield, but that's kind of like a spin meet there's so many poi-ers.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?