Forums > Social Chat > Excellent substitute for lighters/matches!!!

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
He guys, I've been meaning to mention this for ages but keep forgetting.My mum's husband gave me this awesome little doohicky for xmas.It's a giant piece of machined flint, with a small handle. Looks a little bit like a big key.Theres a hole in the little handle which has a string tied through it and on the end of the string is a little oblong of metal that looks like a small stretched dogtag (army style, not pet style grin ).You scrape the the metal along the flint with a lot of pressure and you get these ENORMOUS sparks, up to a foot long, but usually about 5-6 inches!It's brilliant for lighting my staffs, it doesn't mater if it is covered in fuel or soaking wet from the rain, and the sparks don't last for any more than half a second,meaning it will only light something flammable.It really has brought a new dimension to my performances...Neville got it from a travelling salesman at a fair, just wondering if anyone else has seen these things or knows of a manufacturer?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Flambabemember
16 posts

Posted:
Here is another cool idea that I got from a friend of mine who is a stunt man (he does pyrotechnics too)For a staff, get an ignition apparatus for a propane BBQ grill. Put the switch on the grip, and run the wires so the flint piece is just under the wicking...when the button is pushed the spark ignites the fumes of the fuel.I will be trying this myself when I am less broke and can aford to start making new toys again.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree both are excellent ideas. Flambabe if you want to see an example of self-igniting baton's (not staff) you can see them in the movie "Miss Congeniality". It's the same concept.However, do you think or know if the sparks will work with a high flashpoint fuel, like lamp oil, where the fumes aren't combustible? Or does this have to be a low flashpoint fuel only thing?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I have though about self igniting staff before but that was when I was making home made squibs (things that go bang) and thought that I could do it. Saying that, I have lots of ideas but never make anything of them due to time and money. My flying suit should be a success though. Well, more of a gliding suit really.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I find a chef's blowtorch is the most fun way to light up.It fits in your pocket and is totally reliable and has no trouble lighting stuff in the wind, looks pretty cool to an audience too (and the flame is hot enought to weld with (and caramelise sugar for your creme brulees!)).Axis

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Personally I like outdoor bamboo torches you can keep them going for the performance and weave around them, they can be cut to a variety of heights, set a tribal atmosphere, more flame equals more coolness, and even better than that they're cheap. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Wow, sparks......I don't think it'll work for me. I have a hard enough time getting my wicks lit with a full on flame.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
By all accounts, Puppy, Charles has similar wicks to you.I may be wrong though (that crazy old witch woman said the day would come......)------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sick Puppy, I would have thought the same too, but it really works, sometimes it take 2 or three strikes at the most, even when it's windy and the fuel is cold.It realy is cool, and the huge flash of light gets people's attention really quick too.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

141 posts

Posted:
I just got a pet dragon, complete with fire breath so I don't need the outdoor torches anymore, if anybody want's them they're going cheap $2 NZ O.N.O. Ha ha ha.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Does that thing have a name?Nomad------------------Anthelionwww.anthelion.org

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I can see where sparks would work masterfully for white gas or similar fuels. But I only use Kero if I can possibly help it, I would have to see it to believe it.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Neither do I, SickPuppy, kero or Pegasol 3440 Special (virtually the same flashpoint).Bear in mind, the actual size of the sparks themselves is usually 1/3 to a whole foot in length...there's a lot of heat for that split second which heats up the kero and makes it evaporat efaster, lowering the flashpoint for a very short space of time and allowing the sparks to light it (well, this is what i think happens anyway)...If I ever get my A into G and get myself on video at some point, I'll light the staff with the flint to show you.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 29 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

141 posts

Posted:
I don't have a name for my Dragon just yet I'm thinking of calling her Mum.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's interesting Phuzzie, because I'm hoping someone out there will know of the name of my flint thingee, so I can order some more or letyou guys know the brand name...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
charles, those little blighters are sold usually in survival or ex army shops. they are called flints, or some times striking flints. u can also get them with a block of magnesium attached, which u can try to set alight with the sparks. as i remember them from my days, i think they were relatively cheap. another idea for lighting is to pour a bit of parafin on the ground (if ur on concrete/tarmac), and then u can light it. u get little pools of fire which u can either light from ur poi/staff with a flourish, or light the pool beforehand, and light yours toys from that. someone in the COL video did that.thats the contents of my little mind spilled for the night...........------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498113)