Forums > Social Chat > What's been your best improv spin?

Login/Join to Participate

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
So, what's the most interesting thing you've used as a staff or as poi when you didn't have your normal toys with you (or you did, you just wanted to try something new)?Or, if you'd rather, what would you most like to use as poi or a staff (besides poi or staff, of course)?*Specify if it's something you've used or if it's something you'd like to use.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I've used a stick I found in the canyon on my way home as a staff. It's about 2 feet long and maybe 5 mm in diameter and weighs less than a tenth of a pound... so uhh yea

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I was doing some staff twirling over New Years and the dog got in my way so I cartwheeled over her!

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
In the oh'so boring office where I work we have these little key fob thingies that you swipe over a pad.. and as if by magic, the door opens.. you get the picture..Well, these electronic key thingies are on a loop of thin ball chain about 18 inches long.. need I say more..? (apart from the fact they WHIP like hell if you get it wrong!!)Thats something I do all the time, but THIS is something I definately want to try..ZERO GRAVITY POI !!!Yup.. take a flight in the vomit-comet doing its parabolic descents with my feet secured to the deck.. and when the plane goes doooooooowwwwnnnnn.. start spinning a pair of small water balloons (in thin white socks) and see how the laws of physics behave.. ...just for the sheer hell of it.. hmmm.... yeah.. smile------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 23 January 2002).]

Kato

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I work for DNA-IT so they gave us this key ring that is an elastic dna strand about 3 inches long... heavy keys on the end = poi elastic = chains and got some good finger and wrists wraps going with that

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Magic staff that can split and change into double staves, poi or flags whenever I want it too. Kind of like a twirling lightsabre but better. That's my fantasy toy - I haven't actually made it yet but I'll keep you posted...------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i was drug into shopping with my wife one Sunday. We were in the clothing store Old Navy. They had these chew toys for dogs that were made of rope. On one end they had a loop, and the other end they had a ball a little bigger than a baseball. They were about 3 feet long. So i followed her around the store spinning these dog toys. They were actually pretty cool. Thats when i learned "Thread the needle" and "reverse thread the needle"Again looking to entertain myself while i was drug into Walmart, i went looking for some chewtoys, but instead i found chain dog leashes work pretty well. They have a good weight, just dont hit yourself..needless to say, when i go out with my wife, i am not allowed to go onto the dog toy aisle anymore."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
i was visiting grandma one weekend and needless to say got really bored so my little cousins had these rubber fish about 7 inches long i figure, i put a bolt with a ring on it and screwed it in the top of the fish-- i think the were tuna--haha,anyway some black yarn and keyrings and i was spinning those fuckers all weekend-- since i attached them at the top it looked like they were flying-- my brothers thought i was nuts well they're probably right---- well i loved my flying tuna poi---ok ok let me stop!!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I was at a party a little while back and there was a great request for Poi, but no poi...Anyway, the seed had been planted (we all know how that goes,) so I made some out of empty beer cans and shoelaces. 2 things about this:1. The beer cans were not as empty as my drunken brain thought originally and a lot of it was sprayed all over party revellers and the ceiling of the kitchen…AND2. Beer cans have sharp edges when crushed, ouch...I do not recommend this... winkFunny but...CPS: Thanks Kato, I’d forgotten about that…

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Orignially posted by Supermanneedless to say, when i go out with my wife, i am not allowed to go onto the dog toy aisle anymore.
grin LOL. That's awesome!I'm like that in the toy isle. Picking up the large bouncy balls or running from toy to toy. Ooh, look at this car. Ooh, Legos!To keep on topic I used to spin my keys a lot. But we saw a little kid use his sandles at my family reunion last year.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Uuummm... no worries Carrey my dear.. (were you refering to the thin ball chain..?)Yo Soops.. Santa brought me a pair of doggie toys for x-mas !! They are just a length of rope with tennis balls on the ends; covered in little black paw prints (very cute ready-made poi's !!) THEYRE PERFECT !! I think Im gonna have to find out where they came from and buy the entire stock, decorate them, mark them up.. and sell them on !! I'LL BE RICH !! grin Mmmmwwwooooohahahahah !!------------------Kato

Kato

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
foot long glow necklaces are flexible enough that you can spin with them, and it looks like your spinning flags too. pretty cool.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok, stupidest thing I ever used was a 2 metre log as a staff! About 2 inches wide at one end and 6 inches wide at the other.Yeah it really was stupid, but I was bored...I've also used those cool stainless steel key rings with the chain and spring inside (the ones all the security guards use) as a single poi. The faster you spin them, the longer the chain gets.Just don't hit yourself with it, theres not much padding on a piece of stainless steel. grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Ooooh oooh oooh... I just had to stop myself going off on a complete tangent with this idea on another thread.. more relevant here me thinks..BRAs... yes, brasiers HAVE to be of some use I think. Would they be strong enough..?? C'mon girls ( and you PK wink ) help me out on this one. There's a pretty wide choice of sizes, colours and styles to choose from and you could put just about anything in them.(sorry gotta throw this in.. Im sitting at my desk at work and I kid you not.. I've just been handed a letter from a guy called Philip McCracken.. Phil McCracken.. get it.. sorry rolleyes )Anyway, back to the over-shoulder-boulder-holders.. I think I may have stumbled across yet another wonderful marketing idea.. so, my idea, I am gonna patent it and I'M gonna be RICH !!! so there !!! MMMMWWWOOOOAAARRRHHARHARHARHAR !!! grin grin grin ------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 26 January 2002).]

Kato

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
During a 5 hour delay at the airport I took off my shoelaces and spun just them. I didn't want to attatch anything as I did't want it to look anything like a weapon. I just sat and practiced stuff that I knew that I sucked at. About an hour into it a guy pulls his son aside and points to me and whispered "I think that guy's crazy!" It sort of offended me so I figured that it'd be more fun to freak them out. I didn't say anything until a few hours later when I just walked by them, stoped, and coldly said "I'm not crazy", glared and walked away. Needless to say they were both wide eyed. It was really hard not to laugh. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i really want to make some small poi (possibly out of hackisac's) to spin at my desk... i could do turns and all sorts of things with the wheels on the bottom, but am not sure if i am up to the beheind the chair weave yet... smile

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehe, thats awesome NYChmmmm, ive done it with shoes before, held by the laces, freaked the hell out of people walking by me in the hallway...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
NYC - classic!I wanted to do a demo for a friend, so I used a totem tennis ball and a beanie baby attached via noose to a shoelace. I have also used my camera before I realised what I was doing.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, stop watches in physics class, before my teacher started yelling at me...ooo, and just today at our pool, we got inverse resistance weights, the kind that float and you have to keep em under, and the longer sets of dumbells make perfect short staffs, i had fun with those, till the rest of the lifeguards started giving me weird looks...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
That's your problem Kyle (Whiffle)--You stop sometimes when people look at you funny. Oh, wait...so do I sometimes. Errr...nevermind. Oh...and I remember when we both used the shoes. That was great! I'd suggest to other people to use shoes for poi if you are poi-less (of course now I just always carry a set around with me in my pockets smile).

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I was at the bar one time and the bartender was a hot chick who wanted to see some poi twirling, so went looking around and found a couple of elastic tie-down straps (the ones with plastic hooks on both ends) they worked realy well. And they would get a little longer when I sped up, and wraping was cool because they would stall and you could tighten them up halfway through the wrap and get a good flick off or them. I've also used belts, with belt buckles on the end, yea, kind of crazy and dangerouse, but when you gotta poi, you gotta poi...("hey man, can I borrow your belt for a little while?")

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Ive just thought.. if you were unlucky/stupid enough to get sent to prison or get stranded on a desert island; or get captured by a tribe of Russ Meyer Amazons.. what would any poi-mad freak do to ease the time away..??...OK, perhaps not the Amazons bit.. they'd probably have your ba.. poi's off in no time !! ------------------Kato

Kato

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Do you remember those rubbery, sticky balls you used to be able to buy (maybe you still can), you could throw them against the wall an they'd splat and stick to it, then when you took them off they went back to their original shape.Well my sister had a dick (balls attached) made from the same material. so one day out of curiosity I grabbed hold of the end and swung it...and it streched and worked quite well...what a shame I only had one...Alright I'll stop now smileRónan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oh fer cryin out loud...!!! I thought Id seen some way out stuff on this site until I read the first line of that one Kolong.. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">[/image]Kolong.. If I see you in the street Im gonna give you a pair of ear defenders... ...so I dont DEAFEN you with a demonstration of how loud you made me laugh in the office just now..!!! grin grin grinIm sorry, but its the matter-of-fact way you said it... !! (and the way you casually admitted to picking up a sticky rubbr dick to swing around !!)As for the sticky things, I used to have one of those little frogs made out of that stuff. Chuck it at the wall and it would kinda flippity-flop-shplekkerty-flephhherty-phlump plop its way down. Two of those to swing could be fun.. (but no good for doing wraps)------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 30 January 2002).]

Kato

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
grin I guess curiosity really did get the better of me.

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah... wink------------------Kato

Kato