Forums > Social Chat > microwave your GlowSticks

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
Just when you thought your glow sticks were dead.... Microwave'em for 10 or 15 seconds !

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
As for the tritium stuff, chances are that you aren't going to find anything much larger than the size on that site. After all, the tritium is radioactive. Granted, it's in such small quantities that this presents no problems. Just make sure if it ever breaks open that you don't let the stuff touch you, and especially don't let it get into your mouth. Oh, and the tritium lights are not the military glow sticks I was talking about.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wow, 10 year glowsticks. I must say I was a doubter before I saw the site... They seem VERY dim, but that's still pretty cool. And Steelwings, if you're going to start with "Luminol" you might as well just start with glowsticks in my opinion. That's just cheating! Also, I really like the look of two glowsticks at different lengths on each string. It makes wraps harder and tangles worse but looks very cool for "fire" style moves.Eric, I'm not sure if you were telling just me to shut up or all of us. I'm sorry if I did anything to offend.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Luminol Luminol is also widely used as a chemiluminescent reagent, but unlike the peroxyoxalate systems does not require an organic/mixed solvent system. The chemiluminescent emitter is a "direct descendent" of the oxidation of luminol (or an isomer like isoluminol) by an oxidant in basic aqueous solution. Probably the most useful oxidant is also hydrogen peroxide similar to peroxyoxalate chemiluminescence; however, other oxidants have been used such as perborate, permanganate (Lu and Lu, 1992), hypochlorite (Cunningham et al., 1998), and iodine (Seitz, 1981). If the fuel is luminol, the emitting species is 3-aminophthalate (see below); however, luminol-derivatized analytes allow for determination of compounds that would not normally chemiluminescence in this system and presumably have slightly different emitters (Edwards et al., 1995; Kawasaki et al., 1985; Lippman, 1980; Nakazone et al., 1992; Pontén et al., 1996). You call that easy? Heck I can go to any record store in Boston and buy glow sticks. smileHey NYC ... Ya gota love having M.I.T. in your backyard. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I still say it's cheating. To a chemist that's like buying a '57 chevy, replacing the tires and saying you built it. Luminol is a widely used chemiluminescent reagent already. You gotta buy it premade. As Clark and I agreed on the previous post it's not as much fun.MIT? Heck this is basic undergrad stuff... I teach it to my HS students. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
As for MIT I was refering to thier library. smile I have read other posts that you stated that you are a teacher. as for referance materials, I swear if you want to find someting on science M.I.T has a book allready written on the subject. Back to the origional topic glow sticks. I have a 10$ a week habit. smile LOL------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I reckon it is possible to have 10 yr glo-stix, especially if made from Tritium. Anyone got a glow in the dark watch face? Stick a geiger counter on it and it goes nuts - radioactive. A tritium stick would have a much greater half-life than a regular glo-stic but would be very very very dangerous to use for extended periods. Think I'll stick to my regular stix and keep myself fertile and one-headed thanx!...just checked the traser site - don't think they'll be bright enough - only visible from about 30ft away! glow stix are visible from much further than that! You'd need about 6 on each poi....suppose that would get rid of the lack-of-weight problem though.....------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."[This message has been edited by Jangla (edited 01 September 2001).]

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
hey besides, using luminol "since it'd be cheating" are there other ways using basic chemistry components? (nothing to expensive and hopefully not to dangerous, since i mean i can come up with a thousand and 1 ways to make something glow... just wouldn't be safe though smile). I'd like to have a pet project for chem class this year ^_^ so fill me in people!

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There's no MacGuyver way to make something glow, Tai. Clark and I were chatting about it on the "cyalume" thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fuegolomember
5 posts

Posted:
Friend of mine did s.th. really stupid, :MAKING FIRE WHILST BEING DRUNK!Generally I don't consider to use gazoline dangerous, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!She obviously didn't and lit her cheins next to a 1-liter bottle of gazoline, hit it with her burning chain, got burning petrol all over her legs and had to stay in hospital for a good while!EVERYTHING below belt got burned, she can't even pee without pain anymore!BE CAREFUL AND NEVER DO FIRE DRUNK!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
even before that, never, EVER , EVER spin with gasoline / petrol or other explosive fuels!!!

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
whoops, I've revived a donkys years old thread again, ah well, hit it cos some anon user was reading it, so the comment was worth adding!

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you'd have thought that would be common sense confused

oh well was worth reading NYC's chemistry lessons from 2001.

Was he actually teaching when he made his first post or just studying?... confused boh.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Teaching...he had a *FIT* when anyone tried to call him by name, freakin' that his students would figure out who he is and that would be breech of professionalism or some such.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Teaching...he had a *FIT* when anyone tried to call him by name, freakin' that his students would figure out who he is and that would be breech of professionalism or some such.

rolleyes yeah that i understand very well after doing it once, and then he frog marched me to the edit button! wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
frogs can march?

or in NYC land, do you march frogs? umm

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Yeah, it only takes one time when two students broke into my house and left a note IN MY LIVING ROOM that said "Ha Ha, Now We Know Where You Live" to make me a bit cautious about separating work and play.

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
i dunno about the micro thingy... just get battery opperated ones... last forever ( i think)

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
Unless someone breaks them....

I'm not pointing any fingers at Stained, but....

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
hey hey hey, i fixed them didnt i.......

and an important lessos was leart - isolate the with
rubber or something---

you should be thanking me that i made this important discovery otherwise you would never know. LOL hahahahahaha

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Page: