Forums > Social Chat > Douglas Adams and the art of Poi

Login/Join to Participate

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I've given this some thought and I've come to the conclusion that Poi is much like Douglas Adam's Art of Flying.Now remember, the art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground (for real now, no playing!) and at the crucial moment when you're about to hit the ground, you distract yourself. You therefore fool gravity into forgetting to work on you and bob lightly just above the ground. Swoops and other neat tricks are easy from here as long as you act like they were going to happen anyway, because as soon as you think about it, gravity kicks in and slams you back to the ground.So how could Poi be like this you might ask. Well, have you ever been going along just fine until you thought about it?:-)C

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Thats incredably true, I'd never thought of that.I'm always somehow managing to pull something off by mistake, then almost crippling myself when I try to do it again.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
i had that yesterday - i did a five beat weave, just watching my hands go through the motions, illuminated by the fire. I thought to myself 'that's nice', then practically dislocated my right arm after forgettting to stop.Fallings fine - it's the ground that kills you. dammit

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've often thought that descending stairs is a controlled way of falling.Sometimes I think too much....------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 29 December 2001).]

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I tend to find staff doesn't have such a concentration problem as you described. I do lose concentration, however, when someone tuts during one of the trickier moments of my spin. And then has the nerve to later ask me if I always drop the staff that often.....

Meh

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Cantus, well I've heard that walking itself is actually a form of controlled falling. You put yourself off-balance forward before sticking your next foot out again...Shawn

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I think Cantus must be a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is...C

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Ah ha - finaly mastered the Weave!!! & now have a deeper understanding the Art of Flying. wink------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey Stu, congrats again mate, you've done well...But, can you do it when someone else is watching?? winkC

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Performing under pressure... Just don't laugh if it's over to soon winkHope you're having a fun weekend.------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu wink[This message has been edited by Stu (edited 05 January 2002).]

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

bebhinnmember
18 posts

Posted:
dammit, i can never ever do it when someone else is watching.and although i mastered the corkscrew and chasing the sun and the butterfly by accident while talking about music to a staffer my first time ever with poi in my hands, weeks later, i still can't do the weave. so stu... respect. I don't think many people in the world truly understand the frustration that comes from a tennis ball in the eye after 90 minutes of hell trying not to hit yourself in the crotch.so yeah, well done. i dedicate my black eye to you man...and it's not flying, it's falling... with style

...that's not flying, it's falling, with style...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Please humor an American, but what is a "hoopy frood"?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
SickpupPuy needs a babelfish to translate the international language of Douglas Adams. Anyone got a spare?? wink

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I had one but I stuck it in my ear. Sorry.

Meh

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
oh dear. puppys not alone. *sigh* just when you think you've mastered the english language.... frown------------------Live every day as though it is your last, learn every day as though you'll live forever

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
That sounds painful, cantus, or at least uncomfortable

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hoopy Frood = Someone who knows how to use the word "Belgium" but doesn't. Also, someone who knows who to avoid the ravenous bug blatter beast of Kraal using only his towel.I think there's a technique for getting babel fish out Cantus but I've forgotten. Try putting some bait on the end of your towel and lure him out.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
*Puppy shakes his head*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Puppy and CPG, try looking up Douglas Adams on the net. Pay particular attention to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.~~~~~~~~~C@ntus - mostly harmless

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Oh! that, yeah I never really got into that. But what was the meaning of life again? 42 or something?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it was the meaning of 'Life, The Universe and Everything'ps. I think I am in love with the paranoid android

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
no no no - it was "how many roads must a man walk down before youc an call him a man" was forty two - and the meaning of life etc is just a title of the book - personally i prefer the wordplay of restaurant at the end of the galaxy - and for the babel fish it's something that had to do with the improbability drive to get it outo yah - and last night while i was spinnin on stage i got so much sweat in my eye i couldn't open them - and did my whole trick list (which is only nine) with my eyes closed - including btb butterfly smileyou want pain? try losing a tooth to a yo yo made out of steel - tennis ball, hmph------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You should really practice blindfolded anyway.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yep, thinking about a trick is deffinitly dangerouse. When I first learn to do something new, I usually don't know how i'm doing it, or what i'm doing, i just have to keep doing it otherwise it is gone. much, much later my brain figures out what my body it doing. I can do btb weave turning, but only if I rely on reflex and instinct. if I try to think about it,it just doesn't work for very long.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey, sass all you Hoopy Froods...I love deadlines, I love the whoosh sound they make as they go by...Douglas AdamsTip for the Day:Never let a Vogon read you poetry.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Too right,I have made some sets of Sparkler Poi and was using a set last night. Managed to pull off a couple of fountains and lots of 5-beat stuff with them, then near the end of the burn just doing some turning stuff I started thinking about it a bit too much and have a damn great burn on the back of my arm for my trouble now frownMArk.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
what this coming up at me, very very fast? so big and round? i think I'll call it ground! yeah! ground! I wonder if it'll be friends with me?Peregrine(a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is.)