Forums > Social Chat > Medical Question for Lightning

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i could post this under the jimsonweed threat but i thought it might get lost there.

now this is prolly a really naive question but in talking about heart rates on drugs, i dont understand what the difference between having a heart rate of 160 on drugs or 160 while playing sport? because unless you're 60, then 160 isnt your maximum heart rate (according to theory). is it because of the stuff that in your blood while its pumping so fast? ie; oxygen vs whatever drug?

a friend of mine ODd on a hayfever drug, and his heart rate was 160, but according to theory his max heart rate would be 204. as opposed to when i get my heart up to 196 while playing sport. so basically, i jut dont get it and can you explain please!

thanks
~Beth

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Good question. The difference is blood pressure.

When you are exercising, the small blood vessels in your muscles dilate, which lowers total resistance to blood flow in your body, and thus, blood pressure. Your heart makes up for that by increasing its output (both rate and stroke volume). The increased oxygen demand in the heart muscle is met by dilation of the small blood vessels that feed the heart itself. Thus, the heart gets good exercise.

When you are on a drug that affects the autonomic nervous system (which controls things like heart rate and blood pressure) you can screw things up by causing the heart to go faster at the same time as the small vessels in your body constrict. That raises your blood pressure up to dangerously high levels, meaning that when your heart contracts, it has to do so against an enormous pressure head, and it's being forced to do so 160 times a minute.

In addition, the blood vessels in the heart itself are also forced to constrict by the drug, and that means that not only is the heart working harder than it ever would if it weren't on drugs, but not enough oxygen is being delivered to the heart muscle. That's why previously healthy 18-year-olds can have heart attacks on cocaine.

Furthermore, high blood pressure is damaging to organs like the kidneys, liver, and brain. This kid on the Jimsonweed probably lost a couple percent of his kidney function with his little stunt. It won't hurt him, but if he keeps on doing stupid things like this, it'll add up.

Interestingly, marijuana has little direct effect on the heart, but it does cause vasodilation (dilation of the small blood vessels). That's why it makes your eyes red. The heart reflexively increases its stroke rate and volume just as it would during exercise. In a young, healthy heart, this is probably not harmful, but older smokers can suffer heart attacks from the increased load if their hearts aren't healthy.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So if you combined marijuana with coke you would reduce your risk or increase it? It sounds like it would reduce it, unless the combined increase in heart rate pushes the pulse to high.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, I don't think I can even answer that just because at some point it becomes a question of what interaction is stronger and how much you've taken and what your physiology is, etc.

Remember, people make jokes about people who use cocaine. Don't be the butt of a joke. cool

-Mike

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Mike I wasn't asking so I could do it, Even if I got the idea in my head to do cocaine I wouldn't be mixing it with anything as im generally paranoid of drug interactions and how complicated they are. I suppose it's a good idea for a med student not to answer my question though, especially in a public forum.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Mike I wasn't asking so I could do it, Even if I got the idea in my head to do cocaine I wouldn't be mixing it with anything as im generally paranoid of drug interactions and how complicated they are. I suppose it's a good idea for a med student not to answer my question though, especially in a public forum.

I didn't suppose you were. cool You might have a valid point in theory, but theory and a buck will get you a can of soda.

So yeah, not a good idea to be advocating the good ole' coke/weed mix on a public bulletin board. Or in any situation, for that matter, since it's a horrible idea. ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
thanks for that explaination! it took me a few reads but i think i got it! smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...