Forums > Social Chat > Ideas twirling through my brain...

Login/Join to Participate

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
I often have random thoughts...some relate to poi...I put some elastic cord on a set of practice poi today...bouncy fun!!! When you go really fast, the circles get bigger...how about that for a performance thing?? Doing a weave or a windmill or something, and as you get faster and faster your poi circles get bigger and bigger, would be damn good for some one up on stilts...also the elastic cord makes a cool sound in the air, as do some of my "light tube" poi, which brings me to another random thought. Has anybody got poi with things that make noise on the end. You know, little howlers or whistles or something?? I am thinking like musical poi...the faster you go the higher the pitch...get a group and you might even be able to get a tune out of it!!! Anybody wanna join a poi orchestra?? I am going looking for something to build my musical poi out of today!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I've used elastic poi before. They're very trippy to watch but i just hate spinning them.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
i dont know if you have them in the us but for thoses in england:have you ever seen those vortex things that you throw which make a whistle sound, you could attach one to a piece of string

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

McFlymember
7 posts

Posted:
I suppose small duck callers or something might work... not very musical however.You could probably make whistles out of metal tubing. As you spin would it work like blowing over the top of a bottle? I like that sound better than a higher pitch whistle (more like a flute).

I like the pretty lights...

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Hows about bullroarers?Being in good old Blighty means theyre quite hard to find over here but if you could get your hands on them Im sure you could give Crocodile Dundee a run for his money!!

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Yes, was thinking about the bullroarer idea, but from experience as a little un, I remember that depending on what way the roarer was spinning it would tend to veer in or out of the plane of spinning....I am going to look into this tho...Yeh and metal tubes on the end for whistles is what I am thinking, length and width of tube will have something to do with what note is produced I would think....kinda like a pan flute, you know the one where you are blowing over the top of bits of tube...It was the vortex things that first got me thinking about noisy poi...but those vortex howlers are not very musical....------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
What about attatching those little fishing lights to your poi? (the ones fishermen attatch to their floats at night to see where they are - they're little tubes that glow when you bend them and mix the chemicals.)They're not musical but they sure would be pretty! smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Helium Dreamer - Those are basically mini glowsticks only much smaller (and lighter) and don't last as long... I was spinning an annoying xmas reindeer which plays various carols at you if you squeeze it and got quite a cool doppler effect with it. It was also incredibly fun to smash on the ground and make it shut up... ------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
ummm I already have my glow tubes, which basically like light sabres on handles...but they just make hollow tu be noises.......been therewant whistlestell ya what, i was practicing with a harmonica the other day...and for everyone who had seen one....well consider me intriged...give me till after the festive season....

fe fi foo fun

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
There are way too many people posting on Christmas day.Two vortexes on poi would make people want to kill you within about 15 seconds I think. In the HOP shop is a product called a whirlie. Malcolm, I want a discount for advertising and forwarding information on your products.I ate too much.Hey foobaa, I was covered in little burns after Friday night. That was so much fun. Got home at 9 covered in soot and dust. Did you see those hacky guys?

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think, Audax, that you should be allowed a discount if you could justify promoting a product that I supplied a link to a full 4 days before you.In the same thread. It's not Like I even put it someplacve else. It's only a few posts above your own - you muppet.

Meh