GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I'm not very good at talking to or helping people but I'm going to make it my soul determination with this guy, He's not doing well at the moment and hasn't been for weeks. The Dr. says he's manic depressive which makes him feel worse, anyone got any tips? I'm not sure how to deal with it? I had a friend who did this before for attention, as soon as we stopped being friends she became normal, I know that's not how I help this friend.
Otherwise my life's fine and I'm a normal happy bunny, don't wish to add a strain on the board... just advice would be welcome and you're all great at giving it.....

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
My best advice (not that i'm any authority on it or anything) would be simply to be a good friend to this person and be there for them when they need support, often I have found that the simplest things can help the most, like being there to listen when your friend wants someone to talk to.

Hope all goes well.

hug peace

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya if your friend is manic depressive, he's not doing it for attention. however, as a psychologist, i have to warn you that this can be something extremely hard to deal with. is he taking medication? how are his mood swings? being there for him to talk to is the best thing you can do, but like i said, it can be very draining on you, particularly once he gets into a manic phase. you can always do an online search, there are onine support groups and whatnot, for both him and families/friends of someone with bipolar. i'm a lil sleepy at the moment, but once i wake up if i find any specific sites i'll let you know.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
pretty much what bird and pounce said, i've never known anyone whos a manic depressive but have helped friends and family that are depressed. it can be very emotionally draining (especially if its been something you've had to deal with yourself, i found it brought up issues i thought i had delt with but on the bright side it was theraputic cos i recognised them and delt with them, nehoo i digress) just being a support to someone helps wonders and can be very rewarding, and creates a much stronger understanding of eachother and friendship. the best thing a friend said to me was that just knowing i was there, someone she could trust and rely on and that understood what she was going through was so comforting it made her feel safe and loved and from that came alittle light in the dark.

hope this helped a bit and take care matie hug

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

2,568 posts

Posted:
hi there here are some sites for you to visit if you havent already smile

manic depression fellowship - thi was very good lots af info, with links to self help and managment groups rtc

royal college of psychiatrists - this was also full of info and advice for family and friends

manic depression website - now my computer wouldnt let me access this site but maybe you can

NHS - go to alphbetical index, then bi- polar dissorder, just basic info on the illness and treatments etc

umm not sure how your friend feels about taking medication, but i found this, dont know how effective it is, so its something that you guys could look into

serenity - a herbal medication

again hope these help smile

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have one friend who has manic episodes, and one friend who is suffering from depression. I must admit, it is kinda easier to deal with a person who is one or the other, cos at least then you have a chance of predicting where they are coming from.

Both of my friends are receiving treatment and so that makes my role as a friend much easier. They know their own boundaries, and their own triggers. I am a helpful person that they can ask for advice, and support. But they are capable of doing the asking.

The tough part is when someone doesn't know they need help, or doesn't know what they need from you. All you can do is give them time to figure it out, and be a friend.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Although this is just one account, my sis' mate took anti-depressants which made her worse, she jumped a window and broke her ankles, so I'm not on the side of meds though my mate is doing alright tonight, i phoned him and he's with people he and i trust.... so I'm having a stupidly stupid night too. will stop drinking from now on incase he needs me.... *feels like a dumbass for drinkin this much already* thanks for your help and all, I'll read up tomorrow when i can read. so mucgh deleting going on, damn i feel bad.
Stop it. Thanks again
xxoo hug

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
in the case with your sis' mate, it sounds like the doctor gave a mis-diagnosis. it sounds like she's bipolar, and if you give anti-depressants to a bipolar person then you can trigger a manic episode. if your friend is diagnosed correctly with bipolar (which it sounds like he is), then he should be given mood stabilizers, NOT anti-depressants.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

2,568 posts

Posted:
some anti depressants do make you worse before you get better, the one thats been in the news the most recently is SEROXAT - it isnt meant to be given to people in their teens and has alot of other rules for use, but doctors aren't abiding by them!! and i think it was requested to be take off the nhs medication list because so many people we're having such a bad time with it. my mum being one, seeing her that low where she didnt even get outta bed or speak to you was the scariest thing i've ever witnessed, she even had suicidal thoughts. luckly my dad managed to get her to the doctor and he changed her meds and is weening herself off them at the moment.

your friend seems like he wants to help himself and thats always a good place to start smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think an important thing to realize is that you're not his doctor, nor are you his therapist. Be a friend, yes. Be supportive, sure. Great.

But don't try to solve his problems. Leave that to the pros. smile

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Yeah; I'm not going to try and solve his problems cause I don't know what they are plus my advice is always [censored]! Don't listen to me if I offer you any! Thanks again, hug smile

HOP Новостная рассылка

Подпишитесь, чтобы получать последние новости о продажах, новых выпусках и многое другое ...