Forums > Videos > Stupid video camera

Login/Join to Participate

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I've just got this brad new video camera . And it just will not load up to my lap top . I've read the manual's and i've got everything and done everything wright .

Help Please

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well im assuming that u have a digital video camera and ur running windows on ur laptop. im hoping ur running xp cos that would just make it much much easier as it should detect the new device when u turn it on.

it sounds like ur not running xp though, i guess my first question would have to be have u installed the video cameras drivers onto the laptop? are u using the software that came with the video camera to try and get video off the camera? kinda need a bit more info to be more helpful

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yeah im useing Xp and i've installed the program.
All the camera does when i try anything is go to web cam

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
In your video editor, there should be something that says "Import" usually in the file menu. Look for that, or read the directions on your editing program that shows where to import footage from a camera.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Do you have a video editing program like Adobe Premiere? Usually you have to go into that and capture clips from the camera. You dont just plug in the camera and get videos. If you have done all this then I dunno. Maybe give us a little more info on exactly what youre doing, what type of hardware youre using and what is happening.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
try windows movie maker for basics, it should be easy to follow the step by step capture functions, though be careful as editing programs like premire dont like captured footage from moviemaker.
what make camera is it?, have you got the latest drivers from their website?, have you got fire wire card installed corectly?, is your cable knackard?, is your camera digital?.
xp normally picks your camera up automatically once you have plugged it in!, if it doesnt then you may have a problem unless you have double checked every thing.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the editing software i got with my fire wire card actually does not capture footage!, it took me ages to figure that out, you'd have thought it would being a capture device!.
damn roxio video wave shite!....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
is it a digital cam?
gettin video footage to a 'pooter done two ways: downloading or capturing.

if your camera is digital it may have the function to directly download footage to your box as a video file already, saving you the effort of conversion from tape format. this will likely be the case if it is a non-crap digital video camera - it will have a firewire or usb 1 or 2 cable.

if your video is not digital or it dosn't download directly to PC, then you must get a capture card to interpret the s-video/sound output of the camera into a video file. The commone mistake people make when converting s-video to digital format is inadequately de-interlacing (removing those annoying horizontal black bars that appear across playback - a problem related to the differences in vertical resolution standards of video formats)

also, icecream is very bad for your video tapes.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Thanks guy's you all rock !.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
switch to lenux it is easer

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
^^ if i wanted open source, i'd leave the ketchup around without no lid wink

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
sometimes if you use a cheap firewire cable the connection won't be perfect (you might need to wiggle the cable around to find the right way to make it connect). that has happened to me.

so on the outside it'll look like everything connected correctly, but the computer does not recognize a new device (my miniDV camcorder). but if i push my firewire cable to the left and hold it there, it recognize it!

hope that helps?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
puk did you solve this prob? if not ill come and sort it out for you if you like, over stumbling round in teh dark
?

Step (el-nombrie)