Forums > Help! > picture capture, how?

Login/Join to Participate

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
i am very confused as too how people namange to capture pictures of their lines of poi and staff flames, im not a photographer and i dont really know much about them, but seeing some of these pictrues has inspired me alot to take pictures of friends and such like doing their tricks. could some one please tell me how it is done, as i am very cinfused and found that the pictures i took are very boring and dont have any of the lines at all!

please help

mike

Mike Buggins

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
These pictures are taken with long exposuere time. You need a relatively good camera to do this, but if you do have one set the camera exposure time to approx 1/2 a second for good results but experiment and see what you get

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
To be honest, long exposure times aren't that difficult to get. My crappy digital camera has a rather slow shutter speed making it easy to get the trails.

One thing I recommend doing when taking pictures of trails, is to only perform one move. Transitional moves don't look as good. A butterfly, the weave, the corkscrew (up and down) look good on film. Also try to keep the performer in one place during the spin. The trail looks okay when blurred, but the performer won't. Some of the nighttime shots on Pele's site we did this way and they turned out pretty good.
One good one I saw was where the spinner walked across the frame performing the butterfly. From the side it looked like a tunnel. It was pretty neat.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

FlameChildSILVER Member
Pyromantic
136 posts
Location: Norway (Way way up North, on the left side of Swed...

Posted:
Check out the pic on my profile.
It's a result of combined "long exposure" and flash.

Basically it means it first snaps a picture of you with a flash, then keeps the shutter open, so you get the long trails...

Don't know which camera it works on though... I'm not a photographer... just a spinner!

-= I am the god of Hell-fire =-
-= And I bring you......fire =-

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
There are alot of different techniques you can use to get interesting fire photos.
Although the simplest are the long exposure with a single flash this way you get the lines, and then a sharp picture of the person performing.
You can do long exposure with no flash, this way you see the fire and not the person.
And these two are the two kinds of shots most people will take because the rest starts getting into expensive photographic equipment.
Keep in mind that the less light for the long exposure the better (you'll end up with less person blur, and a sharp shot of them with the flash).
If you are trying to get fire breathing thought, use a very short exposure, there is too much movement and too much light, so a long exposure shot blurs, and a sharp shot of a fire breath can be quite magnificent.
Aahhh ok had enough of this game

catch yaz all latera

Flic

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I think if you look under here you might find some interesting reading on taking fire photographs.

So much fire, so little body hair...