Forums > Help! > ANY UK FIREY FRIENDS....

Login/Join to Participate

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
i was on this site and then jumped over to the incendium site. it stikes me that there is an awful lot of people saying. "oh i wish i could come to aus to swap tricks" why go to aus(obviously it would be nice except the 500pound air fare) when there seems to be quite a lot of twirlers/breathers/eaters here. i think maybe there is a need for a fire only convention????. at least i dont know of any, maybe beltane but thats more a show than convention.anyone any ideas. is there any other proffesional groups other than "human product" in edinburgh in the uk? , is there anyone else doing proffesional shows. (sammie dont say yes as i think we are poor students as opposed to proffesionals, one day one day)anyone any ideas as to how to organise or whatever or maybe i've gone left at the traffic lights or theres a festival alreay that i've missed or something.any comments ? aliiiiii PURA VIDAps i dont think i've yet worked out how to use those wee face thingamajiggies.[This message has been edited by ALIBABA (edited 18 December 2000).]

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well...theres a hell of a lot of us now.....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The list is long and quite distinguished actually.
I think that if you looked through the Event, Performances and Gatherings section you might be able to answer your own question. Barring that, email PK and he could prolly give you a complete run down.

And, my opinion as someone who has put effort into the International Twirling Arts Convention in 2004 in Christchurch, NZ...if you limit your gathering to just fire, then you are really missing out on some tremendous spirit and talent that use other tools.

BTW...I moved this to Help! just because it is a "help me figure this out" kind of thing!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
Mistress Pele hasn't noticed that sneaky Mr UCOF has bumped a thread from December 2000.

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Oh shemmelfinny how come you don't have a intro page ?. .
Anyway yes that was quite sneeky .Why don't we agree on christchurch nz (homeofpoi) . And set a date say January next year .
Because of the time and everybodies takeing holiday's .

What we need is a set date ?. That's the first issue to take care of .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
Not everyone has an intro Puk.

And only people in your part of the world take their holidays in January. For some of us it's in the middle of winter. Our summer being June, July and August ish (although at sometimes you wouldn't know it was summer).

That said I (and Mrs Shimmelfinny) may well be in your part of the world next January ~ although I'll have a different hat on so you might not recognise me ~ so we will be taking our holidays then......but that's beside the point.

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

Slaanneeshmember
15 posts

Posted:
The man has a point.
I have only bin spinnin around since last summer(aug) and have yet to meet another poier.
those poiers i know are only the ones that i have introduced unto the craft and as such i teach them as i learn and they have nethin to offer in return. come on guys i feel really left out here.
don't just slag of.....help!
I have found a joy in spinning and i improve daily but i still feel that others could help me learn a more varied section of moves and i them.

mmmkay.

Slaanneesh.

Freestyle Walking. its fun and amusing.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
don't just slag off.....help!
What the heck does that mean?

At no point does anyone not help. We're all only too glad to help.

Does the fact that the original post is 2 years old confuse you perhaps? So that any help given to a person that no longer frequents the site is somewhat superfluous - hence us being a bit silly.

And to your other point, there are no other poiers in the UK.

I've never met any in the 2 years I've been spinning.

Could be wrong though.....

Meh

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Now you lot must be hanging around on the wrong side of town, I have met at least one person... I think....

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Really?

I've never ever met one person. Not at any of the Poi in the Parks I've been to or at any of the other organised poi spinning events throughout the country I've attended.

And I didn't meet any in Paris when we went to stay with Cassandra.

oh and my girlfriend definitely isn't one either.

I can almost categorically state that of all the hundreds of poi spinners I've met in my time, not one of them was a poier.

Meh

timsimmsmember
33 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ALIBABA:

ps i dont think i've yet worked out how to use those wee face thingamajiggies.

Does anyone know what "those wee face thingamajiggies" are?

I am the guy running around with his hair on fire!!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
your lying c@cti and you know it....(on a technicality)

all of the poi spinners you have met are in fact... poiistas

(look another ene of those "wee face thingamajiggies")

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'll admit i was fibbing a tad....and stretching the truth when i said I'd met hundreds of spinners. Dozens is closer to the mark.

Plus one Minorei

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
.......Plus one sexy bouncy dreadlocked excuse for a fairy who has a habit of spinning stuff...sometimes!!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Dazmember
47 posts

Posted:
The search for the elusive fire artist is a difficult and thankless task!

Fluffy, you said that you had been to Exmouth recently - were you lost???

I started spinning last spring and now practise obsessively on the beach almost daily. Whenever I go into one of the two local spinning shops they say that poi etc are selling out non-stop.

If thats the case - I've only ever seen TWO other spinners! I know that sleepy old Devon isn't that big, but I would have thought that there would be more than that out there!

Oi! Invisible people - stop buying poi!

What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

Come alive!