Page:
markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
Just between you,me ,him and her I think its pretty good!MMMM I'm very impresed.
Rockn entrys from Drone,Highly flammable and the ever rockn Bender.Many standouts for me,Nix? aye!What a legend!Smooth contact dude,very very smoothe!
And some nice new moves to get me moving.
And Malcome.Malcome,malcome,malcome great job mate keep doing the hard yards for the scene everyone apprecates it!
Cheers folks,good luck all and keep rockn.

The Central City Circus

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol it's just not that same when ya can't queue up days on end for a good movie in ya favourite star wars costume .
I am not a wookie.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First of all, congrats to all who made it on the tape and had the courage to submit. That is awesome, and something I have yet to do. Everyone did a *GREAT* job! (I can not emphasize that enough)

Next, THANK ALL OF YOU WHO SPUN IN MORE THAN FIRELIGHT!!!!!!! I remember the rules distinctly stating that there needed to be a source of light beyond the fire/spinning element and many seemed to ignore this, which makes it really hard to watch those segments. Body motion is a huge part of the spinning style, and the interest of watching for many, so it was great to see so many take that into concideration.

There were a couple video's that had some real artistic presentation and that was cool to see.

Pois in the Hood...who is the one in the reddish shirt? The movement style is aboslutely intoxicating for me to watch. I have rewound and watched the beginning many times. I loved the elements they included in their video..commentary, comedy, spinning, etc. Very nice indeed.

Now to the matter that is driving me nuts....who did the song for FIRE SISTERS segment? The Flamenco sounding song. I am aboslutely in love with that song! I simply must get a copy of it to perform a dance routine to! There are two other songs I loved, the next one during the Fire Sisters and then one later. Is it possible to get a music list with titles and artists in order of appearance? I know it is making alot of extra work, but some of those songs are simply too yummy for me to pass up Malcolm! There is also the song on the Pele's Element beginning that I would love as well, oh god that one was passionate!
And if you who made the music are reading, can I use them PLEASE? *on knees begging*
In fact, all the music was really awesome and I wouldn't turn away a soundtrack either, but those songs had me...

Malcolm, you have once again outdone yourself!
And...expect an email from me in fairly short order my friend!

Love to all and again great job and congrats!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have to say as well that the video is very inspiring. Forgot to mention that.

And I have a question for Dantana, sweetie, how is it that you do not singe your body hair off?

Hugs!

Pele

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
quote:
I wouldn't turn away a soundtrack either
There's an idea! CoL soundtracks? I'm sure they would sell well if the artists would give Malcolm copyrights to those songs or something... it's definitely a project worth looking into.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have in my collection the origional CD from DJ newborn who submitted many tracks for col3

right i'm putting it on EBAY

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just finished watching the whole thing, properly!

(After watching it several times and then other thigns happening to distract me)

And now, I finally get to vote for who the winner is and I don't know how to pic anyone!?!?

Nix's contact was brilliant, but so was the orignality and images the fire-sisters put together, then there was xxx AND xxx and XXX and xxx and...

Help! i have a vote and don't know what to do with it...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
watch it about twelve more times, and then try and figure out who to vote for..... or start flipping a coin....

pele sweety .... I used to have hair covering 90% of my body... what you see on the video is all I have left....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ok. First of all thank you for everybody who spin on the video and to Malcolm for making the video. It's truly inspiring.

Second, I guess this happens with every compilation that some of the people who sent a video are dissappointed with what finally gets on the video. For example when sending a 4 minute doublestaff routine that I practised like hell for and there's only 1 minute of it in there and even the easiest tricks from the beginning of the set, it makes me wonder. I understand the process of making the compilation, i'm not mad. i know everybody only got a minute or two that's cool but i would've rather seen the real tricks from me on the video.

I had my full video on the net for a few days before i took it off due to a common concern of people putting their col4 videos on the net and nobody buying it anymore. I think i'll cut out the minute that's on col4 and put it back on.. what do you think about this...?

no hard feelings though.. i'll get over this..

Antti Suniala, Finland

and my vote goes to.. was it Electron? the guy that's almost last on col4

[ 21. August 2003, 23:07: Message edited by: Nekobasu ]

Point your toes.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ok.... first off

lovely video....

got to pick one of about 6 people.... but its all old skool except nix... what gives?

i i have to agree with antti(ps do you know tulikansa? great freinds of mine)... if he had 4 minutes of footage, then more should have been on and less videos in total...

i know i did not enter and so forfeit some right to complain, and that on the whole malcolm you have done an amazing job... but there is some not so great spinning in there on what should be (and is!)the best fire spinning video to date.

sorry for negativism but lovely tho it is for some less experienced spinners to be on col4 i think they are seen in a worse light because they are next to some truly inspiring and amazing spinners.

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
right rob beat me to my own PC, god damnit how dare he!

well after the much aticipated arrival of the finished product, i have to admit i liked it more than i thought i would.

there were so many good performances overall and some that i thought were not as good as i hoped they would be.

pois in the hood! though i feel i have seen this sequence so many times over. i feel it worked better with the amelie track. nick your still awsome though.

Nomad rocked!

bender:

the older tempest thats a little shorter than the other, i loved your section.

pele's element: awsome set, though the most unlit stage i have ever seen with a thousand candles.

dio: nice and clean and also visable which i like.

urban fire tribe: nicest video i have ever seen put together, awsome editing.

jo: de planes.

dan: awsome as ever.

nix?: tom man, to know you is an honour, your set was truly inspiring to see what you put together and from what you were like 6 months ago, you would totally get my vote if i had one.

though just because i have named names, doesnt make every one i havn't named bad, they were all extremly good, and nice one for entering, if it wasnt for enterants there would be no video and no one would be feeling inspired any more, some people only have access to videos like COL and they most certainly serve a purpose, people like to learn from them.

i have to agree with rob, that there could have been so much more new school on there but there wasn't, oh well, its around people can see it else where.

total props to malcolm for putting time and effort into giving us another fantastic video.

be kewl....

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
big smiles to those who entered and i should also say thankyou to you all too....was excellent watching pk and rob and nyc squabbling in the lounge this morning especially seen as though pk was wearing my pink little miss naughty dressing gown
nix? what can i say buddy i loved it im very very proud
mr derry
big little tempest loved the doubles poi too but was so good to see u spinning doubles
pk what can i say call me biased i dont care you inspire me.....
i really like pyrotechinique's video it was interesting and well put together i thought uv hands would have worked too!
enter the spider i so would have loved to have seen more of you we all loved those cheeky toe wraps you did!!
Anyway...... loved it not as much new things as id hoped for but still enough to inspire me big thankyou to malcolm and all of you lot who entered...welldone (especially nix?)

[ 22. August 2003, 01:11: Message edited by: twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy) ]

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Not that Malcolm needs defense, but as to the neg aspects of people's critiques, many video's sent in were not useable as people used things like...little to no light or autofocus. He used what he could and did a damn fine job. Many times tech moves are not flowy, and if you'll notice most, if not all, of the sequences are flowy. (It's why Nix? was awesome to see, he had the perfect combos of everything..not to hard to be choppy, not too easy to be circles, flowy, smoothe, well lit....)
Sure I have seen pretty freakin' close to everything on the tape, as have all of us I think, done by others but it was still awesome to see. It's one of the reasons I think the vids submitted by Pois and Urban Fire Tribe were so awesome...skill, fun and artfulness.

It's about style, and there is alot more of that on this COL than most others.

Still waiting to hear the music list though!

Pele

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
it's not fair!!!! I don't have my COL4 tape yet

729 posts

Posted:
Ditto!!!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
not to restart an old old old arguement but many times tech moves CAN be flowy... as beautifully dmonstrated by many of the entrants....

waiting with baited breath for decisions.....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Singed Spidermember
1 post

Posted:
I totally agree with you, in regard to the disappointment I felt when about 1 minute of my video was used out of a 5 minute video. It's probably because I sent it in so late! I just wished that they showed some of my aerials :-)Oh well, the tape turned out alright, I haven't seen the three previous ones just yet but I will soon.

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
charles, i have no idea who to vote for either!

help! HELP! ARRRRRGH!

729 posts

Posted:
Just for clarification, the voting privilege is only given to people who purchased the tape, correct? Free copies given to the entrants (either the one for submitting, or both for making it on) do not get this privilege?

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
Cool!I havent looked at this thread since I started it and theres all these opinions here!
Nekobasu Im inclined to agree with you not to dis Malcome because Im very impressed with is effort but the editing in some cases was a bit of a bummer.We sent in 3 entrys that got edited into 1 which wasnt a very clear representation of what we sent in.....
Suggestion COL 4 Uncut the Directors edition.
This should satisfy everyone who feels short changed by the editing prosess.
Pele I understand that the quality of the cut footage my leave somthing to be desired but the content is what we are proud of not the camera work.Also tech moves are like any other moves they flow when you are able to make them,every move that you can do can be sliped seemlessly into a set if you know it properly.For some people style might be the be all and end all but personally I come from a juggling background so for me the tricks and the tech is where its @ the style comes with doing it!

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by markeespark:
Pele I understand that the quality of the cut footage my leave somthing to be desired but the content is what we are proud of not the camera work.
And you should be proud but a copy of an unclear copy is worse. Be proud of your moves sure, but good camera work ensures that other people can see that as well, which is why it was deemed important enough to be in the submission guidelines.

quote:
Also tech moves are like any other moves they flow when you are able to make them,every move that you can do can be sliped seemlessly into a set if you know it properly.For some people style might be the be all and end all but personally I come from a juggling background so for me the tricks and the tech is where its @ the style comes with doing it!
And when Malcolm started COL, and ever since in the write ups, he has used it as a way of showing styles. Tech stuff is shown on the vids online, and in lessons exchanged. This type of showcase is to display the different styles around the globe, which utilize anything in the repetoire, even when not advanced. That is the whole point.

It's like the difference between watching a piece that tells how a movie was made versus the movie itself. You don't need to know all the tech stuff to appreciate the style of the movie. You don't need the instructional video to appreciate the styles of dance in a showcase. They are both wonderful and each have their place. This how to's is where you learn the stuff, the showcase is where you show how you figured to put it together, and that's what COL is.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Knowing that Malcolm is busy and realizing he prolly skipped over me begging for who did those songs....

Now that other people have seen the video, do any of you know who did them? I know they are on that relatively short list...but I am still at a loss.

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Tech stuff is shown on the vids online, and in lessons exchanged. This type of showcase is to display the different styles around the globe, which utilize anything in the repetoire, even when not advanced. That is the whole point.

I care to agree and disagree pele

yup tech videos are availiable on the net and thanks to malcolm we have a section to make them more widly availiable.
but as for COL! its an opportunity for EVERYONE to enter and show us all whats what, i live with and work with and friends with some of the most technical spinners i have met in my time, but not one of them entered except Tom [nix? / +)] why the **** not? robexcluded lazy man he is!
so yeah, one hyperloop and an airwrap from me and isolations from Tom! thats pretty all the new school stuff in col4 and flow they did too you see if every one felt the same about sending in footage we would have the most amazing video and every one would be happy, but every year i think were going to be fronted with this very same argument, seems the same as last year to me, people not happy with this and that, but unless we manage to change the way every HoPper thinks about submitting then we should all just accept what we have managed to create on our own. If it wasn't for the 50 or so of us that did submit footage we wouldn't have col4.
i thought every one who got on the video was extremely good, and those entrants that got cut short or what ever, you got on! and we all enjoy seeing even just a minute of footage from some one different.

to end this.... pele, tech flows baby! but tech comes from the more advanced hoppers. As i stated there was very little tech in col4, but its still a ****ing damn good video. nice one malcolm
At the end of the day the argument for wanting to see tech poi comes from the techy poi nerds who want to learn and see more advanced stuff, not just weaves and butterflies. Not every one has the opportunity to meet with some hoppers such as Glass! those that do; end up poi nerds. The argument is, that others need to be able to see tech stuff too, not every one can download stuff from the net, not when average techy videos are any where between 15-90MB in size. col is a canvas that neets to be used by tech poi nerds and just isnt! no changing their minds!

be kewl guys.

[ 23. August 2003, 00:44: Message edited by: Trait Of One Eleven Two™ ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
:blush: thanks for the wondefull comments guys... :blush:

Unfortunatly i cant recipricate yet as i havent got my copy yet!!!!! grrrr.... shure ill see it after the weekend.

L8r all.

T

p.s. i agree with pk about entrants and stuff, col3 was my only opertunity for a long time to find some more moves, untill i went to meet peaple, thechnicality is shurely a style in itself?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Nix - my copy arrived this morning - so we can watch it if not before, then after Liquid Connective...

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
oooooo!
can i come watch with you too please princess hels...?

i promise to this lots and will frequently say 'ping' quietly whilst looking in your direction...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Course you can babe...oooh is that I sliff I see....yoink....

See ya later

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ohohohohohohohohoho

can we see it first? pleeeeeeeese!

mine has actually arrived today, but its in the north of scotland, and im in london. Doh!

see you funny little munchkins (and Hels) very very soon!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Malcolm...Thank you!

PK...that is total agreement. I think the video is wonderful, and that there is no reason to complain really.

I don't enter because of personal insecurity issues. I can not stand the way I look more often than not (still battling the whole fat and ugly perception drilled into me since I was a child) and knowing how critical people can be of video's, and I am not always confident in my spinning. Thusly, I am *really* nervous about submitting one. I constantly say maybe next time but it is more of something I have to reconcile in myself before I can put myself out there on something that will be around awhile. I need to get over my whole perfectionist thing before I can entertain the idea. Does that make sense? Not that I am an advanced spinner. I just felt I should explain.

Pele

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yea yea yea... I agree....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'm holdng out, at least i know one day i will get to see you spin on a video, better than that is all goes to plan meet you in the next six months and spin with you in person. we can do and invisable col4 entry just for you with no fears or any thing hows that sound

me and malcolm must be the lucky photo bearers.
you do look good in that PVC costume, thats prolly my fav.

Page: