Wasianmember
15 posts

Posted:
Ok, Im in band in school, yes I know dork, but I play bass. Durring marching season I cant walk around playing bass so I joined G2. G2 is guy guard, in guy guard we spin guns. If any of you know what Im talking about oongradulation because I confused myself. Anyways, I came up with a great idea, SPINNING FIRE GUNS! Im going to try to make up my own desighn and build a gun, im going to cover the whole gun except for the front and the area where the trigger would be(if anyone spins, they would realize these are the 2 spots you put ure hands). But yeah, what a great idea, I think. Tell me what you people think.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Think about what you are saying ?. I've seen that style . Have you had a bit too much weed or something.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
oi, anythings possible..post som vid's after yer done too eh

Thinkin about usin a wooden stock or aluminum?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Maybe you should just put wicks on the muzzle and on the butt, anything more than that would be pretty dangerouse. But I do like the idea

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
well, my personal opinion is not to put anything down the barrel of a gun, no matter what it is.

As for wrapping the whole thing in kevlar, it sounds more like a good way to burn yourself than anything else.

The metal (i'm assuming this is a replica, not a working killing-device) would heat up pretty quickly and then your would need welders gloves to pick the thing up again.

There is a reason why fire poi have a length of chain or wire running from the handles to the poi heads, and the same with staff. There needs to be a good distance from the kevlar to the 'handles', and there also need to be a good strong airflow around that seperating length as well.

(Takes his moderators cap off) Besides, I can't stand the idea of guns as toys, or any other way of encouraging people to use or own guns.

Flame away at me if you like, but guns belong on a gun range, or in the armed forces

(Moderator cap back on)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

1,148 posts

Posted:
just seems like a familiar shape for him to use..native americans loved the shape and weight distribution of the rifle so much they fashioned (throwing) weapons after them. Couple of african throwing implements that have the same shape/weight distribution..I don't really see it as a gun unless it can actually shoot

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Wasianmember
15 posts

Posted:
ok, I'm sorry, but you guys obviously have no clue to what I'm talking about. The guns I twirl are made of wood that are like in the shape of a gun, then theres like a plastic peice painted silver the is put in like the area that you would put the bullet. Its in no way a real gun, they dont even have a barrel. I would have to get a vid or picture to show you guys to understand.

1,148 posts

Posted:
erm, read again, I know exactly what yer talkin about

Ars Pyronomica

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Yea, I'm on the Colorguard at my school as well. I was thinking about this, maybe getting extremely long rifles and putting metal over the tips of it (maybe 3 or 4 inches) then wrap kevlar over the metal sheet. Also, where you place your hand (near the butt of the rifle) you would get to close in contact with the flame. Now if you can somehow incorporate leather armguards into the costume, then maybe it'll be possible.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that the rifles are wood, and getting administration to let colorguard spin flaming rifles is well... I've tried to get my band teacher to urge administration to let me spin fire with no use.

Also, at the last band competition during field season we had a baton majorette spin 3 fire batons, she droped one and caught the field on fire. They almost got disqualified for that .

Good luck,
Kinudin

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Caught the field on fire? Shamefull! That is why you have feet, and safeties. I met a girl who did triple fire batons, she told me she had to wear the "official school outfit" Which (of course) is all fuzzy plastic. I looked at her is horror as she told me this, and she proceeded to metion that she was scared to do it. "hell yea you should have been scared" I said. She did fine, and didn't hit herself, but that is totaly not the point. The authority figure who insisted she wear the school uniform was obviousely not thinking clearly and had no idea as to fire safety.

I know exactly what type of "gun" we are talking about. But the fact that it is a "gun" would be totaly concealed by the fire. It would actually have a better effect if you only covered a small part of it (that way the audience can actually see what it is, not just see a large mass of fire). What part you cover depends entirely on where you normaly hold it. Just make sure you leave enought room to hold it so you don't burn yourself. I recomend small wicks too, you don't need a hugh flame, esecially if you will be holding the gun close to the wick. A couple layers thick of kevlar will be more than enough for a good burn, trust me. My swords never have more than two layers thick. They last a long time because you are spinning slower.

Anyways, good luck.

One more thing. I know most people like to cover the wood with metal, but remember, metal gets hot, and wood realy doesn't burn up very fast if it is a good dense hardwood (don't use pine or cedar) A good hardwood will last as long as the wicks do. (a very long time) without much damage to the wood. The only drawback is you tend to get black soot on you fron the charcoal on the end when you are practicing unlite, but the staff realy isn't going to just "burn up" very quickly. I have a staff that has gone through over a hundred burns with very little damage. Because I make my own equipment, it is easier to make them this way (and I realy don't like the idea of getting hit with a hot metal tip while doing contact staff). REMEMBER, USE HARD WOOD, soft woods WILL burn up relatively quickly. And take this advise with a grain of salt. Just because I am doing it doesn't mean it is ok.

I have nunchuck that I DID cover the tip with a copper cap, and they have absotulely no dammage. All the damage on my uncovered staffs tends to occur at the exposed tip of the wood.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Santana -

From what I could see, the majorette didn't have any safety. Chances are, it was a last minute poor decision.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I am very surprised neither PK nor Mineiro or glass have jumped on that one
Pk has this gorgeous video of arabic gun twirling in the beginning of this century... VERY funny

hope he can post a link or something ?

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
PK or Miniero? Any links forthcoming?

(in other words BUMP!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

1,325 posts

Posted:
I'm bumping this again too, because I wanna see this!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The beginning of a few good men has amazing footage of gun twirling. It was like 50 men doing it in perfect syncronization. They did this crazy wave where they flipped the guns one after the other in rapid succession.

Another idea is to make a fake bayonet and cover it in wicking. One thing with covering everything but the parts you hold in wicking is the fuel can very easily transfer from the wicking to where your holding it causing nasty burns. Also it seems like you won't get burnt if you hold something close to the wicking if you keep it moving at all times but it only takes a little bit of a pause and the flames are licking over your hands.

When I saw this thread title I thought it was spinning revolvers western style. Spinning rifles army style is a pretty cool idea.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
To tell you the truth, it wouldn't be worth it. I know exactly what you are thinking about.
Now, putting the wood, plastic, paint flammability, hand positions aside (and there are alot..I used to twirl these and batons, not well but enough)...and the fact that technically they would need to be specially made for this purpose which no school would approve due to cost effectiveness.....

Let's picture the parental reaction when students take the field brandishing guns (something not all together accepted as an art anymore, though it is)...with flaming bayonettes on the end (and I agree this is the only possible safe route).
Legistics and legalities behind this are insane!

If you wanted to have one made for personal use, just to give it a try, go for it. Keep in mind that the wick and the fuel will add ALOT of weight onto the ends and so you will need a butt that has extra weight built into it for the sake of continuity while spinning. However, this will make it imbalanced for practice as well....technicalities...

And set the field on fire? Dry spell, really bad astroturf or just a relatively small patch?

Also, any video of a West Point Graduation will have cool gun and sword manuevers. So does the Bill Murray/John Candy movie Stripes has a great and funky segment.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

1,325 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:

And set the field on fire? Dry spell, really bad astroturf or just a relatively small patch?

It was just a small patch. Maybe half a foot in diamater.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
meerly a flesh wound, I've had worse on my eye!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
DJ...you have an eye that is half a foot wide?????

PK or Miniero? Any forthcoming links...??

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

1,325 posts

Posted:
It's like the giant eyeball that only sits on a pillow in class... and what's really awesome is if it's the teacher, you can just throw a blanket over it, and do anything you want.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
eeerm. sorry for slowness.... i don't actually know where it is. but i will enquire of dru in the near future...

just not been in othertoys often enough i guess...

R

ps i have always wanted to spin fire in a skimpy spangled leotard.... and very definitely

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

celestinecaspermember
2 posts

Posted:
dont mean to hop in on the disc.. but i thought i might have some input.

Break it down you do drill or rifleguard what ever its called. Remember that a rifle is just a short stick with some parts in it. You can do all the same moves and more with a staff that is the same size as your rifle.

Also check out he US Marines silent drill team it might give you an idea.

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
mmmm sounds like a pretty good way to burn your hands, why not just use a slightly shorter staff, would be easier to handle and less likely to get burnt. You can still add move kevlar wool if you wanted to weavesmiley