ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hi all.
This year my drama class is putting a rendition of Romeo and Juliet, we wanted to have Juliet sitting on a trapeze like swing hung from the roof in one scene. I was wondering if any one here had any experience with creating this sort of swing and how to rig it up.
The swing would not actually be used for trapeze work but would need to support the weight of a person.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Missie

P.s. I get to be stage manager “yay!”

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have done trapeze befor, but i have no idea on how one is to rig one up. just look at a swing! same kind of method. just make sure the knotts are tight or if your going to use chain then even better. if your useing staging and rigging then your well away.
good luck.

Jinmember
7 posts

Posted:
depends on what you have on the ceiling...

I'm a trapeze catcher for Club Med and I've put up a few rigs so I think I'm pretty qualified....

all trapeze rigs use wire cable for their lines... that means you'd need cable cutters ferruls and crimpers.. which I'm pretty sure you don't have...

but as I said... what you hang it from is far more important than the actual swing.... make sure it doesn't move and is very secure and safe....

so with that in mind....

you'll need a steel bar or some kind of thick steel tubing, not aluminum, or brass, or anything else... steel

if its solid than 1" dia should be sufficient.. might be a little uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time but.... doable...

if its hollow steel tube around 1.5" - 2" is fine...

you'll need...

at least a two foot wide bar (to sit on yes?)

simple welded steel chain with test load of at least 400 lbs (better safe than sorry)

two eye-hooks with a threaded tail....like in this photo https://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_...eID=ccchadchjkk
dfemcgelceffdfgidgng.0&search_text=eye-hooks&DRC=4

but just unscrew the hook from the buckle, one sufficient enough to attach the chain and with long enough tail to go through the pipe

and finally nuts that fit the eye-hooks and washers...

directions...

get your chain to however long you need them to be, both should be exactly the same length...

drill a hole through the pipe on each end, going in the same angle along the pipe....

slide eye-hooks through the hole you just drilled, put washer on the tail end that is sticking out from the bottom of the pipe, then screw on nut to secure eye-hook to pipe...

attach chain using carbiners...like these...

https://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_...eID=ccchadchjkk
dfemcgelceffdfgidgng.0&search_text=eye-hooks&DRC=4

or quick-links

attach to ceiling that is secure and safe...

Best,

Jin

Hurry up and torture me before I fall asleep and miss it

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cheers jin. nice to have some one amognst us that knows about this feild.