Page:
Billiiomember
3 posts

Posted:
i would like to know the best staff size to perform double staff

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
anywhere inbetween 2 to 6 foot depending on your height, arm length and personal taste.

short ones (around 3 foot) let you go inside your arms to do buzzsaw type moves, and make it easy to bounce about crazily swooshing them in every direction.

long ones (around 5 foot) mean you can do contact stuff easier, and they stay in their planes more. But they do hit each other more when you try complicated stuff. They're more martial arty and blokey than short ones.

My personal favourite length was 5 foot, but they kept on whacking into each other, so now i play with 4 foot ones which are not too short and not too long but just right.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Agreed

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
:points at simian:
what the ape precisely said!
:waves a banana at 'im:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Billiiomember
3 posts

Posted:
je suis francais so i don't understand all this feet
you don't know how long it would be in meter

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
3ft ~ 1m

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Billiiomember
3 posts

Posted:
thanks you

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
I would say if you're starting doubles use shorter
ones (1m) first, cos will cause less pain and you won't be tired as quickly so can practice for longer before arms fall off ;-) (or maybe I just was weakling when i started ..? )

Later when you got all the coordination down & smooth, then move on to longer ones, if you want/find them more interesting. On the whole I think longer ones give you more possibilities (anyone agree here ?) and look more impressive but thats a matter of taste ... have fun & don't get frustrated - it's worth it ;-)

mike :-)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'd be hesistant to say shorter are better to learn with, because there are huge differences between the shorter and longer staff techniques.

What I would suggest is using the length you prefer for normal staffs, but also to have some shorter ones two, and use them as often as each other.

That way you get the bost of best worlds!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

gretelmember
47 posts

Posted:
hey im glad someone esle posted this qn casue i was just about to ask the same thing myself...
i have a 4 foot staff and 4 a foot broom handle (ok itll be a staff sooner or later but i got to learn on something )
they seem to work pretty well together but i want even shorter ones... is that bad? if they were smaller would i need smaller wicks cause even if a fot staff the flames can easily creep up to my finegrs

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
What about a staff that changes length when spun! that would end the whole debate!!
"How long is your staff"
"The length of my staff varies as a function of time, angular velocity, moment of inertia, and how excited i am"
"dude, your a geek"

Ahem.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

6,978 posts

Posted:
it's okay to be a geek - star wars rocks!!

and don't be afraid about short doubles - some pro performers around melbourne use really short staves (90cm) and really short poi (buzzsaw length) just use smaller wicks (eg 2" or less)

whhen considering what length your toy should be, be more mindful of your twirling possibilities than of the metric system. it is the former that matters more!!

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
90cm's long x 12mm's diameter & 1 meter of wick to each end. Thats what I use. As for the perfect diamentions for a staff it goes into some pretty serious quantum physics, so if the cats dead use small stix, alive use big stix, if you don't have a cat I would recomend 1 large stick with 1 small stick and if you accedently run over a cat on the way to the juggling store swich to poi.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Mine are a bit too short at 2'6" (ish). I've only got 2" wicking on the ends, but I can't hold them still without burning my fingers.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

6,978 posts

Posted:
lol dwuanos,
you'd need a telescopic staff if the cat were to be alive and dead at the same time!
maybe it's time for poi...

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
have two pairs... a long pair for big stuff and contact doubles... a short pair for tiny fast inside stuff

i myself now own some short doubles....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Mr Cat has short doubles my word....(good boy).

I own both short doubles and long doubles, and love them both in very different ways.

Why don't you have a go at making both?

happy twiddling

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
personally I prefer shorter staves that have room to go under and inside your arms - for weaves, buzzsaw type things and general swishing around

the burning fingers is an issue - but only if you hold them still in one spot too long

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yeahm but I burn myself a LOT more with short staves than longer staves.

but then again, that might be just me

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
knew that one would shock you.

since owning short doubles i have played doubles: 18 times. ihave played long doubles 17 times.(only 1 wee spin)

sorry but i JUST CANT COPE WITH THESE RIDICULOUS MINIATURE THINGS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hey don't diss things that are small

RIDICULOUS MINIATURE

Does that make me one of them

Bammy

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
not at all....
cute and petite i think.

unlike small boy.

who's just cute
R

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
OK, I for one have had enough with your condescending nature towards all things spinny and shorter than 4 foot.

Even you mr Bluecat agree that they have qualities that make them worth while such as fast insidey stuff, so shut the fudge up about your big staffs dude, your getting very predictable indeed.

Just because you can't or don't use them dosen't mean they are not great or is that what you are saying?

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
well said TEMPEST.
Good to see someone else sticking up for small sticks

Bammy

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
small & skinny I say, but you've let the cat out of the box!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i have to say that i like watching someone playing with those 'double-ended matches'.

see with poi you can change the length whenever you want, even mid spin which surely makes them loads better...

but simian - who the hell does 6 foot doubles man. that's some crazyness right there.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

6,978 posts

Posted:
i lOOOVE the matchsticks term - gunna swipe it if ya dun mind!!
i think of my staves as medium - just got myeslf a juicy 1m doubles - i consider them medium cus they're the largest stix that i can do hi speed btl spinning and poi 'buzzsaw' movements with.
i consider my 1.2 to be my larger stix.

and please, don't use feet and inches cus i get a headache whenever i have to pull out my (grotesquely awful) brit accent.

guv'nor.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Cole -

I can change the length of my staffs too..

... just grab them at the end or neer if your on fire

I suppose its not the lenght that changes but the circles do just like poi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by TEMPEST:
OK, I for one have had enough with your condescending nature towards all things spinny and shorter than 4 foot.

Even you mr Bluecat agree that they have qualities that make them worth while such as fast insidey stuff, so shut the fudge up about your big staffs dude, your getting very predictable indeed.

Just because you can't or don't use them dosen't mean they are not great or is that what you are saying?

ok matchstick boy.

have it your way.

no more abuse of short sticks.

but you're crap at using them.
and that dmitri guy. him too.
and dave...erm hang on. (i lie)
and bam(actually she's pretty good(but shaping up to be better with long sticks))
smallboys ace(cause hes worked it out)

eerm. i think my main gripe with them i s that if you aren't good then your planes are all over the place cause they're so light.

so stop bitching.
bitch
R

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
six foot doubles aren't that much crazier than 5 foot ones Mr Column

Its still only three foot on each side of each hand. A bit stretchy maybe, but pretty cool

But four foot broomsticks are the nicest doubles in the world.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Page: