Forums > Technical Discussion > Glowing poi- any body who knows anything

Login/Join to Participate

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
You guys might already know but im new here and want to start using glo poi. Ive been using what i call 'standard' poi (basically poi with tails and a head made of a bean bag... made by mightybananna.com ) Im interested in the beaming poi type things, mainly because to use fire om the streets you need a license here and because ive seen pics and there pretty

I just wanna find out some info so any one who know any thing, if you could help it would be good.
Firstly- i've heard about electroglo poi - what are they?

Secondly- Are the Beaming poi good for there price or should i try to make my own. ( theres also these long LED things on string)

Finally- Whats the best conector for glo's. Chain (ball or chains) or material cord?

Cheers guys,

Who tries to use knives-dies, Who tries to use fire-insinerates! >:)

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
Also, it would be kind of good (if you use glo poi) if you could state what setup you use. It would give me (and others) a better idea of what ppl who use these think works quite well.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's a link to my page on how to make cheap, easy, nice looking electric sock poi: -

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/hammerhead/hammerhead.html

Beamers are good, bright and very tough. There are issues with safety, you need to be an experienced spinner as people have broken noses/chipped teeth whilst using them- there's plenty of threads on beamers.

I use several types of electric poi; i like the sock ones cos they're safe and diffuse the light nicely, and I like the beamers because they're a good weight and I'm experienced enough to use them safely.

For beamers I just bought the heads and made my own chains, using the same design I use for my fire poi.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
What design is that? ( for the chains)

Funkenflug79member
4 posts

Posted:
hi onewheeldave
thanks for the instuctions i made them and they are realy the best poi i had for years

and it burns, burns, burns

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
Beamers are well worth the money, i have made some glo poi with used glowsticks with one end cut off so there is no liquid inside and the attached a rav n glo light to the end and they look ****in nice a six inch multicoloured glowstick that has took loads of hammer and hasn't got a scratch on it.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Deviation:
What design is that? ( for the chains)
A chain with a split ring on each end- one split ring conects to the beamer.

Little finger goes through the other split ring, then chain goes across palm and out between thumb and index finger.

This gives a natural grip with security cos the little finger ring stops them flying off.

Not suitable for really fast spinning cos of the split ring fragility issue (though you could put two on).

I like it cos it's very simple and now I never use finger loops on any of my poi.

Lastly, don't try to use split rings as traditional finger loops cos they'll hurt.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Funkenflug79:
hi onewheeldave
thanks for the instuctions i made them and they are realy the best poi i had for years

Glad you like them

What's your opinion on the instructions; any tips for improving them/making them easier to understand?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Funkenflug79member
4 posts

Posted:
i think if you have a little bit of knowlege about electric it works good. the photos are a little bit wonky but you can see what you have to sorry my english is not so good
and i also love the tradition of sock poi and now they are alighted yeah!!!

Fire_GrrBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Do you know what is really cool, and they last for about 20 hours, depending what size you get, basically, get 4 glowsticks with eyes in the end, get any type of strong string, make 2 measures, tie 2 2gether then make finger loops out of the other ends, then do the same again, there u go, disposable poi! its so cheep to do, glowsticks are about £2 each.

But a better idea is to buy some Single LED light stick with string (Avaliable from HomeofPoi) and they are cheep to, just £1.69 i believe! Gr8 hu?

U have to make sure to use 2 on each though for both glow stick and LED, coz there not heavy enough on there own. Hope this helps!

Also another gr8 idea is sparkaler poi!

Cheers then

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
another idea is to check out local pound shops...i found some light up pens that went thru a range of colours and also flickered(led's),all i had to do was unscrew the pen bit and attach to my poi...They're not ideal cos they tend to switch themselves off but they were fun while the lasted....now my ones from HoP have arrived I'm a happy bunny..!

Funkenflug79member
4 posts

Posted:
i found out that you can use a hot melt gun to secure the led`s and the switch on the battery case so this makes a solid block of them and they dont get hurt by knocks
onewheeldave i think you have to buy a hot melt gun!!!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I am working with some glow in the dark leather right now it glows green like thoose little stars you buy and stick on your ceiling.I have a little battery operated black light
to charge up the leather they glow for about 15 mins with a one minute charge under the black light.they will charge under a reg light but it takes longer. Great thing this leather keeps recharging .All I spin are fire poi so glow sticks really dont work for me they are just to light.I am making these heads about the same weight as a fire head. Right now they are a tad too heavy kind of like a beammer it really hurts when you smack your head with one . I dont have a camera that will take a pic in low light
but just think of a 4 inch long 2.5 inch round glow stick.and that is what these look like

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Im interested in the beaming poi type things, mainly because to use fire om the streets you need a license here

?????????????????

are you sure?

where exactly are you?

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by TheSilverShadow
Beamers are well worth the money, i have made some glo poi with used glowsticks with one end cut off so there is no liquid inside and the attached a rav n glo light to the end and they look ****in nice a six inch multicoloured glowstick that has took loads of hammer and hasn't got a scratch on it.

I've seen you post this design a couple times here on the boards. Does the whole glow stick really light up good? Or does it fade really bad towards the other end of the stick? I have some color changing Rav'nesque photon thingy's I might try this with! I'm thinkin if it's bright enough, you could wrap it in bubble wrap to make it less painful, and the bubble wrap might help make the light seem a little bigger. It would be too light for me though, I would have to stick some lead weight in one end or something. Still a good idea though!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I too was quite skeptical of the LED + Glowstick idea, until I tried it myself with my 7 color strobing LEDs purchased at https://www.juggleart.com.
It looks absolutely fabulous, you can't even tell which end has the LED in it based on the glow itself. Quite bright, stays well lit while spinning, which can be an issue with certain glow designs. They are quite light, and I wouldn't suggest doing wraps with them due to the fragility of photons. It's quite similar to the glow of Electroglos, if you've ever seen them, except a smaller yet brighter glow. I still prefer electroglos, however, glowsticks + LEDs are 30 dollars, whereas Electroglos are 60 smile

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
All the glowstick lights up, obviously it fades a bit before the end but in dark room they look no different, i have had these for a whil now and they have never broke or given me any hassle, they do need a bit of weight added to them as well though as they tend to be on the light side, i used a tennis ball just before the start of the glowstick to add weight and they spin nicely.
EDITED_BY: TheSilverShadow (1070877244)

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... I'm thinking maybe some way to encase the end with the photon in a tennis ball for protection, but it would have to be removable to get at the switch....

I dunno... Sounds cool though.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i use my own strings made from old choes laces, its he asme conncept as normal chain xet i have a series of complicated knots the can we lossened and tightened around my pointer and middle finger, at the end is a key rign and tied to that is the electro poi:))

it must be green