DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd bring this to people's attention1 inch thick kevlar rope incase, you haven't seen it already.

Does anyone have any idea's of how best to utilise this fantastic looking stuff. I think it was blackbird who posted a fire whip design before. But this stuff is so thick you could use it as your chain maybe connecting to some monkey fists?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Do you think it's possible to pierce it, stick a split ring through it and consider it safe. I'm doubtfull but these are the kind of things I'm wondering about.

Looks cool though doesn't it

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Make giant monkey fists out of it

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about making some fire snakes out of them, with a smallish knot at the end just for kicks.. But yeah, I havent been able to figure out how to safely attach them to a chain/ grips yet. it really is too think for quicklinks and i dont trust split rings even for glowstix. but yes, it WILLL happen!
jsut need to find a job.
::sigh::

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just an idea, not an official or even tried concept, so feel free to flame abotu why it won't work...BUT

How about loping it a few times around a ring of some sort, tying a small knot afterwards (like a filament in a lightbulb) and maybe using the kevlar thread (spool vairety) to sew it all togethr for added safety?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
yeah, but being 1 inch rope you'd need an awfully big ring.
i was actually tinking of using a big enough quick link and then folding the rope over and using a clamp thingy like they have on ship ropes and stuff, that makes the end into a little loop...
when i get some i;ll play around and let ya know.

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
You can stuff the end of the chain into the centre of the rope, and use one of those metal hosepipe clamps to tighten round the rope at the end. Cover the exposed metal with kevlar thread and PVA it all.

They work pretty well but the burn time isn't that great. There's a piccy if you click here:

www.firedanceuk.com
click 'galleries' in the firey nav-bar, then equipment.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A monkey-fist knot made out of rope this thick would be useless as a wick--it would be incredibly big, and require a huge amount of rope.

Snakes/whips would be a good use. I can imagine two ways to make 'em:
Get a 1" welded steel ring. Tie one end of the rope into a bowline knot on the ring, and perhaps tie the other end into a simple knot for a little weight.Again, use a 1" welded steel ring and twice the length of rope that you want the snake to be. Center the ring on the rope and use a hose-clamp to lock it in place. The tips could be knotted separately or together (using a square knot).A few inches of ball-chain at the top will give you swivelling and some isolation from the heat. You could substitute a large quick-link for the steel ring to save one "jumper" in the setup.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Frostypaw,

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001039#000000

check out this thread. There's no metal at all in the twisty poi - just about 8 inches of chain. The staffs are tied and glued so no metal in them either.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!