Page:
Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
Anyone ever think of trying something with sharp objects? Such as Knife poi or Mace poi? Has this been done before? If not I think it would be cool to see it. If yes, anyone have a video?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Aish

Non-Https Image Link

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yeah, I don't get that first post on this page either... but maybe he's just thinking of all them kids out there, who might think "knifes on poi? mmmmmmmh!"

btw: the rope dart is not supposed to have a cutting edge, is he?

Written by: JBlaze

First and foremost, poi users and staff spinners are not martial artists!!!.

Can't side that statement. Whilst certain moves are much different - the way of holding the staff for instance - both (Poi and Staff-manipulation) clearly have their roots in MA shrug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176099404)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
FYI rope dart are a martial arts weapon and range from a simple spike though to a double edged blade and in these forms could be just as dangerous as any fire knife poi that may ever come into existence

Yay for uber dangerous toys!!!!

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thx 4 the info. Pls note that I'm not advocating to go out and actually do this.

Written by: paperwrist

through no fault of home of poi i must add i decided one bored night to put two knives on some chains and spin them

That's the scary part - imo...

[edit for clarity] IF you consider to practice with a dangerous and potentially lethal weapon, I strongly advise you to hook up with local (martial arts) institutions, who will not only be able to train you in the discipline, but may also be able to train the necessary mindset (responsibility and devotion) that needs to come along with the craft.

If you find yourself interested in performing a potentially lethal exercise, simply because you are bored then maybe you ponder what you may be up to if "anger" mates with "boredom" - and refrain... wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1176309234)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Im going to bump this because I have been looking for imformation on this for a while now. I have yet to try this by any means but I have though of the idea a few times. I don't know how well they would spin but for a show factor I think they would be even more impressive than fire is durring a daytime show.

I wanna try something tonight that would be relativly safe. Im thinking attaching some butter knives to my poi to see how knives would act.

Im going to be wearing some goggles and spinning slowly because honestly im kinda clueless on how there going to spin. Taking a step like this should be done slowly.

Has anyone seen a proformance with poi knife head or even better have a video?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno... I still don't see the point...

Whirling knives around sure would look deadly/slightly impressive... but you wouldn't be pulling off any impressive movements, and you'd probably be stupid if you tried... Incorporate some dance into it if you wanna look impressive, or just wait for nighttime and dazzle with the patterns you make...

This is coming from someone who was never impressed by chainsaw jugglers, but endlessly amazed at the skill a fine club juggler could exhibit...

hug

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Have you ever noticed that a simple move can impress a crowd more than the most complex thing you can think of. Im guessing you like to see technical moves because you relies how hard they really are.

Most people that watch a poi performance will never pick up a set and try anything and they have no idea how much practice it takes. Obviously there not going to see something in the same prospective that a performer will.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I actually disagree with you there... I'd say movement of your body is what really kicks it into gear and I'm not thinking you could do that with your knives... and the ultra basics don't tend to allow you to move your body with it, more like moving your body around it, not that some of the ultra basics won't allow this.

But I've found that the "impress" you're speaking of with the simple movements invoke a cool but slightly more technical stuff executed with a great emphasis on fluidity will invoke a confused eek wow along with the cool

And I've never actually spun with anyone anywhere near as good as me or better... just because nobdy else I know twirls, so the stuff all my friends are just looking at it from the perspective of average Joe.

hug

mattsvarpMember
1 post

Posted:
Yes i spin knife poi. And yes they are sharp. Just have to be mindful of the edge making contact with the skin. I can even do some contact poi with them. I have yet to meet anyone else that has but honestly if you just take your time with it youll be fine

Page: