Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

has anyone got any good ideas/experience on making a pair of nice sock-type poi (i.e. not just an old pair of socks with something in in the end )? Whats best to use as the weight ?
what material ?

thanks, Mike

Jippie, finished exams once and for all *bouncing about*
can't wait to get out to park and spin again

[ 03. June 2003, 02:03: Message edited by: Psi ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
juggling balls, tennis balls are allways nice to use, experiment with diffetent weights as you will find your own personal tastes better suit you than for some one to tell you what to use.
i have used bubble wrapping before and found them ok but a little on light side.
you could use some fance or pretty fabric and machine some up, make them UV reactive, make them long with out handles so that you can shorten the lengths by wrapping them around your hands?? its all personal preferences at the end of the day, but atleast they are cheep alternatives than buying some that your never gonna uise because you dont like them and they have set you back 20/30$.

be kewl.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i reckon its best to find socks without heels or they can act a little odd and unbalanced. They can be very hard to find, but you can just cut them out and sew the socks back up, or make your own fabric tubes in the first place. Don't ask me exactly how though; i'm no seamstress.

Stretchy socks vs non-stretchy socks is a matter of taste. Most stuff is easier with the non-stretchy kind. But i find stretchy ones give you a wierd kind of feedback, letting you know more about the forces acting on the balls at the end. ooh and isolations are waaaaaaaaay easier with stretchy socks.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i really really enjoy using the wierdest poi ever..
i have a miniture cannon ball in one and a marble in the other...really wierd seeing them going round at different speeds.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
welcome to the game nemesis.

after spinning with a set of sock poi that i loved i set out to find the material and make some of my own.
its easier said than done.
i've now been actively searching for this material for over six months from dorset to north london (with a proxy search carried out for me in sheffield) to no avail.

the reasons i like the material so much: very fine weave which means low friction on hands and fingers, low weight per m2 (ie. 'thin'), nearly zero stretch, non-fraying edges and it is ultra uv.
many materials have some of these properties but never all of them so i do have some poi that are close - it has now become an obsession though

i will not rest until i have it in my grasp. preferably 20 rolls or so so i never have to look again as long as i live.
the eternal search for the perfect sock poi material goes on...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
coleman.....
the holey grail
it might be under my bed

now please somebody, anybody
bring me a sewing machine
so I can satisfy dr cole

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
i used tennis balls in mine for awhile (I cut several long slices in the tennis balls so they would collapse on themselves on impact for extra padding)

Then I removed the tennis balls and put rice in a sock and rolled the sock into a ball and put it in my poi, then put two rolled up socks ontop of that sock inside of big socks I use for the actual poi. Rice has a nice weight/bulk ratio and it's fairly soft if you stamp on it a lot when it's in a sock to break it up.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm using rubber juggling balls about three inches in diameter - nice and weighty but unfortunately do occasionally bounce off each other and go flying at your face!

quote:
Originally posted by simian:
i reckon its best to find socks without heels or they can act a little odd and unbalanced. They can be very hard to find, but you can just cut them out and sew the socks back up, or make your own fabric tubes in the first place. Don't ask me exactly how though; i'm no seamstress.
Someone said something about skiing socks for getting ones without heels? Can't remember for sure.

The heels on my socks have pretty much stretched out by now anyway...

quote:
Originally posted by simian:
Stretchy socks vs non-stretchy socks is a matter of taste. Most stuff is easier with the non-stretchy kind. But i find stretchy ones give you a wierd kind of feedback, letting you know more about the forces acting on the balls at the end. ooh and isolations are waaaaaaaaay easier with stretchy socks.
Stretchy socks definitely make isolations a lot easier because of the feedback, and I find they just feel a little more smooth as well.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

skjalffmember
33 posts

Posted:
this is how I made my practice poi's a while ago, I tied a rope on the middle of the socks and then folded the socks into themselves, then sowed 'em up, worked just fine.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
If you're interested in glowsticks I got my start in poi by first spinning stretched out socks with glowsticks in them. Then you can practice with both socks in one hand which looks really cool with the glowsticks in there--just a nice simple subtle glow to them. Plus this is relatively inexpensive. To get the right weight I just put one fat marker in each sock--you can use two depending on your preference of course. Have fun!!

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

Juan Anonlymember
9 posts

Posted:
Ive got squisy juggling balls in the end of mine, which are pretty good, especially when you are just trying out a new move.

If your using socks, the essentially property is that they are interesting. Ive got some stripy ones, and my friend has recently got some rainbow ones.

Ive never had a problem with heels.

If you want to make them UV reflective a good way is just to get some white fabric and use a rubber band to hold it around the juggling ball. You can also type bits of white string around the socks at various points, which looks quite cool.

Meaningless, meaningless... Everything is meaningless -Ecc 1:2So lets just all swing Poi.