Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
hey y'all, i was just looking at the staff lessons and i got really interested. i was wondering if anyone knew the best way to obtain a staff. is it easy to make a staff? and how big should it be? (like length and thickness?)

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Hey Phoenix! I actually just got started with the staff last week, and I made my staff. It was so super easy, and fun to do. I bought a 4' dowel rod, I cant remember how thick, prolly like 3/4" or so, I guess whatever feels right for you. Then I got some different colored electrical tape and did my own design. I love my staff! It helps me through my tough times. Anyways, thats how I made mine. Cost about 8 bucks grin ! Im going to make some more. smileCant light it on fire of course though. I read somewhere on here that it is better to learn with wood, then advance on to aluminum with wicks. Thats what Im doing. Happy twirling------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i used to play hockey, and had like a wooden hockey stick. i cut off the end, and used that. one thing though, don't make it too long, that makes it much harder. i am thinking about trying to make a steel one and wrap wicks on it (not light them though) so i could practice with what i would end up using if i decide to try fire. im actually getting kinda decent (dropping & hitting myself less, and keeping a more fluid motion), its much more fun than i expected it to be.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
My staff is a bamboo garden stake with the sharp bit cut off... its a bit long though, i should probably shorten it smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Well I amde a non fire staff a couple of days ago and the best thing I found was a piece of wooden dowel 31mm thick and 1m long. short is better for begginers cause (like poi) its usually easier to start with heavier things.paint it varnish it and it looks great.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
thanx everyone!!!!! i have a lot of cool ideas in mind. i'll be sure to tell you how it looks once it's done.

Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
thanx everyone!!!!! i have a bunch of cool ideas. i'll be sure to tell you all how it looks once it's finished. grin

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i just spray painted my staff/hockey stick silver, its actually in the yard drying right now.

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
Is making a staff as easy as just banging some wicking on to the end of an aluminium pipe or is it going to take time and effort.(which I hate). rolleyesSam

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have recently made loads of staffs and I use aluminium tubing for the fire staff screwing wicks onto the end. I use self amalgamating tape for grip.My UV staffs are made out of wood and I cover the parts I want UV with UV sticky back paper stuff you can get from maplins then the rest of the staff is covered in the self amalgamating tape. By covering all of the staff it does not look as if it is wooden at all but made out of rubber!Cost for making fire staff was £3 plus wicking.Cost for making UV staff about £1.50 - £2 each

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,yeah, firestaffs are a peice of pi**, made 2 in under an hour the other day, no probs. (might want a workshop with a drill tho...)as for length, Ive fund its best to work by proportion, the longest staff you can feasably do underarm helecopters with is about eye height, but chin height is easier, neck height for a fast one, chest height or less for doubles. My shortest staff (the electroglow) only comes up to my genitals, hummm, tmi? winkLoveN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
two words:rake handlesmine are about a meter in length, tennis balls on ends to soften the mistakes...of course these are my practice staffs, if you want fire ones (which i dont do yet)id go with the aluminum tubes, my friend has a pair, which are nice, but light, i personally would like mine a bit heavier than his, i find them easier to pass hand to hand if they are heavier, but again, its all personal preference...and shouldnt this go to technical? (point?)

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
where can you get self-amalamating (sp?) tape?thanks...------------------excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The Incendium website has pretty good instructions for building a staff, as I recall. I'm pretty shure that you can still find the link to their site through the HOP links.I built my staff rather diffirently then most people. I have always preferred the cathedral fold wicks so I took a 5 foot x 3/4 inch peice of aluminum tubing and set peices of hard wood dowel with an eye bolt through and then snap hooks attached to the eye bolts. This way I can detach the wicks and keep my staff inside the house with out having every thing smelling like kero. And because kevlar is the most expensive part of making the staff I only need one set of wicks between my staff, poi, and chain whip. It started out as just an experiment, but it ended up working better than I imagined.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
Phoenix- I've been spinning staff for 9 months and I make them myself. I use:-36" x 1 1/8" wooden pine dowel-Beach towel-Duct Tape-Staplegun-Bailing wire-Needlenose Pliers-Wire cutters-Cloth scissorsThe duct tape is used for frip in the middle of the dowel. I use the scissors to cut 4" strips off the towel. Staple the towel to one end of the dowel. Wrap the towel around the staff as tight as possible. Cut four 6" pieces of wire. Bend the wire around the dowel and twist it with the pliers to tighten around the towel. Do this twice on each wick to secure it to the dowel. I tried to draw a ghetto diagram to show you somewhat what I mean. The only problem with using towel wicks is that they need replacing often. It takes about 15 minutes to remove old ones and put on new ones. The wraps are good for 5-8 burns, depending on how long you burn them for and the fuel you use. If you don't understand any of what I told you, which is very likely, then oh well. I did my best. Hope I helped. ________ | | ----------- _|____|_ ----------------------------- -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
for the record, my ghetto diagram posted wrong. It actually made sense when I did it.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I like the feel of a wooden staff better than a tubular metal one, but you really need to fireproof the ends.Others have suggested using cut up soda cans, which makes good sense; I use copper foil. For each wick, I drill two holes through the foil and wooden dowel where the wick will be, wrap kevlar wicking around that, drive a hole through the whole thing with a sheetmetal screw, and run a machine screw through *that*, which I anchor with something called a screw post (basically a tubular nut). Dribble in a little heat-resistent thread-locker to taste.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

cryogenicmember
34 posts

Posted:
dangerboy has this heavy staff (taller than me, but im a shortass) which is just a big chunk of wood with copper sheeting around the end (or, at least, it will have when he gets some copper!) .. imho it just depends on preference as to whether you use wood or aluminium or whatever... just use what is the best for you...------------------If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Self amalgamating tape can be bought at hardware stores. It is very stretchy and the point of it is that once stretched around itself it forms a clean bond. Because of how stretchy it is, a little goes a surprisingly long way.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I use wood (from memory 22-24 mm dowel) with aluminium ends. Anyhow, the Al pipe slips nicely over the dowel for a snug fit. Hint, after you wrap the wick around the Al, fold a bit (1'' or so) back under to prevent fraying. This also makes it easier if you need to drill through the kevlar. Also, tennis racquet "over-grips" make a good staff grip. Have fun smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

crazed_bunnymember
12 posts

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i like wood in preference to metal anydayand the better the wood the nicer the feel of the staff, my $.02 is that you should make the effort to find a nice piece of hardwood (preferably from N.Z.) and go with that.....a real crazy thing to do would be to cut a branch down and rasp yourself a staff....might be hard work but its sure fun when youre finished!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
My first staff was a wooden broom handle, which was an excellent thing to learn on. I upgraded to a metal curtain rail & really noticed the difference when I hit myself in the shins for the first time... winkThe curtain rail was also thinner & lighter, so quicker to spin, hence the bigger bruises. However it was a coated metal & I couldn't adapt it for fire, because the paint would do fun things like bubble & crack.So along came the new metal rod.Then the expensive store-bought contraption that I have used since. This has one big advantage - iridescent tape around the grip which catches the light beautifully. If you can find some, invest in it, it is a lot of fun. smileR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
I make shitloads of staffs.There are two designs I work with: Aluminum and Dowelling.Aluminum: Goto Incendium.org for info...good easy instructions, I wont rewrite them here.Wood: Buy some 19mm dowelling, 20mm aluminum(1mm thick) and six self tapping screws. Make the staff as long as you want (cut dowelling to size)...cut alum. to approx 15cm long. drill three holes in it. Two of these are for your wicking and should be placed close together at the end in alignment with each other.The other is to hold aluminum to wood and is approx 3cm from wood end of pipe. make sure it is at a perpendicular angle to the other holes! the reason for this is, if you drop it after a throw hard...its splits the dowelling much easier than if you have another screw holding it together at another angle smile....Now put your wicking on(order from shop)...screw in with a drill....paint your staff....make a pretty handle from the above ideas and hey presto, there you go! cost you around oh, $25...most expensive componant being the wicking at 21 a metre for 2".....thankslluhmas

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey Mr Draevon, there's a link to your site on here and I didn't post it!!!How very odd.....

Meh

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
where could I buy aluminium tubing from in the UK>? Im sort of after a specific diameter and all ive used in the past have been mop handles which tend to vary in thickness. never seen anywhere that just has different kinds of metal tubing.. anyone any ideas? ubbrollsmile

progger

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
B&Q
Homebase
Do It All
Random hardware shops

if you don't find what you want, ask the manager, and they're often very helpful in pointing out other places you can go.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
cheers mate, gotta get to B&Q - since the mid section of my home made 3 peice extenda-staff has gone walkabout mad rolleyes

progger

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've just decided to make a set of fire-doubles...

I've got a load of wick (6ft to be exact) which I was going to use for a fire sword, but think doubles would be a better use.

So - I was going to go to B&Q, get some nice heavy-ish wood (I want some thinnish staffs but no too light) - shod them in aluminium... Can "shod" be a verb? Hmmmmm

Then whack the a foot and half of wick on each end, tennis racquet grip covering up lots of the staff as I'm fed up with trying to do contact

What I'd really like is something like BlueCat's in Black & Blue but to my 'ickler dimensions...

Maybe some UV covering too.

If they work well, I'll put some pics up of how and what I made them with.

If they don't work well - I'll do this is anyway as an example biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
For whatever it's worth, I've posted my staff-making recipe here.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy