Forums > Technical Discussion > What type of fire poi is this!?!?

Login/Join to Participate

Belrockmember
33 posts

Posted:
It's like a giant sparkler or something...how is this made, or do i buy it somewhere...[url=https://64.87.7.217/display.php?image=jason1b.jpg]What type is THIS[\url]

Fire Demon of the Dwarven world...I am Belrock

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Um, Belrock, I reckon that the picture is of a few sparklers twirled in a forwards direction. Extra speedup on the downswings cause sparks to be hurled farther forward. A combination of medium to very fast twirling and long exposure photography make it appear to be a huge sparkler when it is a smaller but still bright set of sparklers being shot over and over again on the same exposure. (On an aside, I nearly got arrested once for a long exposure tho it was the Alsatian's fault..)The varying thickness of the twirled sparklers indicate where the twirling drifted backwards as it sped up into thinner/faster arcs.Also, the lack of stars indicate that he's twirling in a black hole. This may arise from the photographer being suspended in a fishtank full of sea-monkeys, which is evident from the cars in the background being parked left-hand side.I need cereal.------------------"It takes a very special woman.... or several average ones"- Bill Hicks on the strain of stand up comedy

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
"sea monkeys" ...heh.Could be steel wool wired on just below the poi. Maximus(I definately agree about the black hole.)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Also I think the reason why there is only 1 image of the performer being still is cos of a single flash at the end of teh exposure./end rant

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's sparkley poi. I wish I knew how to make them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Search for 'sparkly poi' or 'steel wool' maybe? They're easy enough to make, just not the most graceful of items to use. However they look impressive, and sometimes that's all you need!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dom, that was actually a joke for the old timers. My sarcasm sometimes gets the better of me. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
i caught it NYC. and i'm not even an old-timer. just a lurker who makes a hobby out of searching.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
er, NYC, I'm English, and a Londoner to boot, so you don't have to explain when you're going to be sarcastic wink You New Yorkers seem better at it than most yanks, the number of Georgians who just don't get it is unbelieveable!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Careful dude, you go callin' Southerners "Yanks" and you may have a rumble on your hands. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Damn straight! (<-- See where I'm from!)Belrock. Clip a wire whisk to the end of each of your chains. Stuff them with brillo or SOS pads (the kind without soap). Hold them over a flame until they glow red or dunk them in Kerosene and light (wait for them to glow). Spin like hell. And for Pete's sake, do it in the middle of a BIG field or parking lot or the beach. The sparks fly a HELL of a lot further than that picture shows.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
And just do the weave fast! wink------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
hey it looks mad some1 said something about steel wool does that make sparks when lit or something it could be a sparkler bomb if you dont know how to make one on the end of the chain you make sparkler bombs by getting all the stuff of the sparrkliers into a tennis ball then tapping it togetther then litting a sparkler that is in a hole in the top

the risk is the rush