Forums > Technical Discussion > making darth maul double lightsabre out of glowstaff - help

Login/Join to Participate

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
i had the idea the other day of making a long glowstaff out of two glowstaffs, so that the end product would end up looking like darth maul's double light sabre. the plan is to get two staffs, and some how attach them together. my plan was to use the design of the HOP three piece staff, and try to slide the two glowstaffs into a middle section. anyone out there got any ideas that might help, or past experience?any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Find a piece of PVC piping that is just a lttle bit too small for your staves to slide into, then make one cut lengthwise, allowing them to fit. Smear some soapy water or Gorrilla snot (not actual gorrilla snot just a brand of sticky goo) or something that will create a mild bond but not actually glue them in permenantly, unless that's what you want. Then wrap the whole PVC connecting peice in leather, or hocky tape, or whatever your fancy is and be shure to wrap over the PVC onto the staff itself to further prevent the staff from coming apart.Does that help?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
am i wrong, or don't you need to flip the switches on the ends of both electroglo staves? so you wouldn't be able to put them in something that you won't be able to get them out of... and you need to change batteries...the only thing i could think of is find that stuff that they put on the handles of bicycles - you know the big plastic grip handles? and try to force them into one of those... ORtake the ends of a hose - make sure one end is the female and one end is the maleforce them over the ends of the staff and tape themnow you can screw one end into the other to make one big staff - completely detachable, easy to detach and one hundred percent unbreakable------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
My idea doesn't really involve any permenant attachment, exept for one passing comment.But actually, after going back to the online shop and looking again at the glow staff, the end pieces are slightly bigger then the body, so you would have to wrap the body untill it was the same thickness as the ends for it to work best.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The 2 guys that got me into staff in the first place both used Darth Maul Lightsabers. Proper shop bought ones, made by Hasbro or whatever. Movie merchandise.Horrible to spin. Way too thick to be comfortable, covered in buttons & raised bits and they made all the stupid noises.Looked pretty cool though.They used them for ages aparently. Whilst I was off making my own staffs and playing with fire they were still spinning their toys. Oh well, each to his own I suppose.I believe one of them has proper staffs now.....------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
cheers for the suggestions guys. plenty to think about now. i'll let people know how it turns out (if i manage to get it to work!)------------------Flame on!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'll bet Cantus knows. He's been going off about his glow staves since christmas.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Staffs if you please Puppy. Or i'll start calling you Danny Boy.OK, well here's my 0.0223564 EUR worth. You can remove the ends from your electroglow staffs. And you don't actually need to have the LED's in both ends if it's a sufficiently dark enough environment. So, the way I see it is you can take the stopper off one end of each staff and remove the LED component part. Push these ends into your handle section (sans stoppers). The light from the opposite ends then should be enough. No need to access the middle section to switch them on and off. Problem solved.I do wish you hadn't posted this thread by the way. Because you do realise I have to make myself one now don't you?*wanders off muttering to himself* .....some people, no consideration for others.....got to go bastardise another flamin' a la Cantus creation now.....------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
hehehehe. *thinks of the sight of an army of glostaff lightsabre wielding maniacs*my plan was to remove the end cap on the end of the glowstaff that was going into the handle, and then use sellotape or ducktape to hold the led unit in place. the obvious problem with this is that im going to have to turn the led on, then tape it up, then put it together. not really something u could pull out and put together for five minutes use.im going to go see f i can find some pvc pipe/tube thingymajigg today. oh, the thrill of it all!where abouts are u cantus? coz im getting ideas about having a lightsabre battle sometime..... (im starting to sound like a star wars nut)cheers for all the suggestions guys.------------------Flame on!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I live in Cheshire. Don't suggest fighting though. You'll have Orange and Kato attacking me at Headcharge......

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Watch it with the "Danny Boy's", Cantus. I tend to take that rather personally.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 06 January 2002).]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Wasn't there some indepth thread a while back stating the importance of calling shorter staffs "staves" and longer staffs "staffs"? Seem to remember some one having a rant about it.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
And I just looked it up in good old Webster's and "staves" is the correct plural for more than one staff. tongue------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well it was fun while it lasted.

Meh

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
methinks sickpuppy has issues.speaking as an ex chef, french fries are a particular cut of fried potatoes, also known as julienne. swiftly and seamlessly taking this thread back onto the initial subject, i went to a hardware store yesterday(no easy feat for someone living in central london). of course, the helpful sods at the plumbing department were closed, but i did get a hose pipe connecter that fit for about £3. only problem is that it doesnt grip enough of the STAVES to hold them securely. so, its either back to the pipe idea, or try to find a bigger hose pipe connecter.------------------Flame on!

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with a very similar idea now for about 2 months. I wanted to warn Mr. Beard about connecting three pieces of plastic together to make one staff. Espiecally if he's attaching bought Electro glow staffs. Right where you attach the pieces together is a real problem. On our first couple of staffs that area constantly shattered. I would hate for you to ruin your glow staffs. I'm not saying it wont work (I don't know what matterials your using) Just be careful not to ruin your staffs if your happy with them------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
maelstorm mate, cheers for the warning!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grincould you explain a bit more (coz I'm simple folk)? if u could answer the following questions, and maybe any other information u mite think relevant i'd love u forever:- how did u attach them?- what is it that shattered, one staff, both staves (there u go sickpuppy and cantus!), or the connecting bit?- how/why did they shatter? was the weight of the whole thing too great for the join? were u dropping the staff?i'm thnking that they shattered because the weight of the staff was too great for the join. i'm no engineer or physicist so my knowledge of weight/stress/breaking points etc is 50% guesswork, 20% ignorance and 30% downright ridiculous, but methinks that if the join is large enough, it should take the weight of both staves. my solution would be to insert one end of each staff into a tubey pipe thingy. now, if the tube covers enough of each staff, it should be ok. a 12 inch tube (so 6 inches of each staff is covered) should be enough.now, if any of that makes sense to people that don't iinhabit my twisted little world, i'd love some feedback. is this the kind of thing u tried? do u think it'll work? many many thanks for the warning mate. you may have saved me two lovely blue glowstaves.------------------Flame on!

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
just thouht of another vital question:where did they shatter? was it on the edge of the join, in the middle, or away from the join? cheers mate!------------------Flame on!

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Your thinking is correct. After we broke the first staff we all felt preffy stupid for not see the problem before we started. Your ideas on the joints are also correct. The problem is that if you cover enough of the light areas to secure the weak spots the staff stops making sence as a light sabor. If you put two glow staffs together using a 12" (600mm) handle then your staff is going to be over 6' (1800mm sorry, I'm not real familar with metric) long and as that staff gets moving and you drop it you're going to have alot of stress on that over lap. The handle might not break, but your running a rick of the polycarbonate breaking. The best solution for a quick, cheap fix would be to take electric tape and tape up the middle section. This would give it a double ended feel. You also have the opion of going to a sign making company and finding polycarbonate. Get a piece that will telescope over your glow staff. Paint this and place it as a handle. Then use electric tape to hold it in place. The fit should be tight enough that you don't need glue. If you do have to glue it use a solvent based glue to give it a molecular bond, but remember that bond won't ever come undone. Keeping one solid tube running though the staff seems to help alot. On the handle idea it is also important to keep the wall thickness of the handle less then the wall thickness of the actual staff. Hope that helps. The rest of this is just me ranting about the staff we made. I really enjoy the staff we've created. It's 5'8" (1700 mm I feel really ignorant with the metric) long. The whole thing glows, but the "blade" pieces glow brighter then the handle. It uses 4 LEDs. The LEDs are all 3 candecent strong. One LED goes in each ends shineing inward, and two go into the handle shineing outward. The LEDs are secured in clear resin. This adds weight to the outside and gives the whole thing alot of balance. Our core staff is a thin piece of Acrylic tubing (ridgid feel, no flexing) with a polycarbonate shell (strengthens the staff so it dosn't break). Then we placed polycarbonate ring details on the outside of that. These details give the ends a torch type feel, and designate the handle. The enter outside of the staff is then sanded starting with 80 grit and worked quickly down to a 1500 grit finish. This finish is what defuses the light through out the staff and makes it glow (sand blasting it would work better) We are hopeing to add Rav'n light insides to the design. I think solid LED handle lights with Rav'n lights on the ends would look super Phat! Talk about a head trip. ------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 08 January 2002).]

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Wow! your staff sounds WIKID!!Any pictures? In use and 'normal'?Gruff

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
maelstorm, cheers, ur a godsend.i was thinking of using a transparent tube as the joining section, and taping up the middle of it to make the "handle", as u suggest.thanks a lot for al the info. its a great help.------------------Flame on!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I thought about extending my electroglo staff, but I didn't think the LED's would be bright enough for a longer staff. However, after reading all the great ideas in this thread, I'm off to the hardware shop. I think I will try fitting some of those photon micro LED flashlights (like the ones at the HOP shop) to a length of perspex tube or clear plastic tube or whatever. A bit OT, but the best idea I have seen recently is the glowstaffs that Farrah Siegel used in COL 2. The LED's appear to be located about 6" in from the end of the staff, instead of at the end of the staff. So, you can grip the staffs by the end and spin them like poi, or you can grip in the centre and twirl like a staff. The best of both worlds I reckon smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Twirling with the darth maul merchandised light stafves wink makes me look stoopid cos it only lights up if i drop it!I have a glo staff exactly to the specs of this website and I have to say that the perspex that you can get is REALLY REALLY strong. I can barely bend it. So i am offended. AND it's amazingly bright. I bought my perspex piping for like $13AU and I was told by the supplier "Acrylic industries" that the perspex tubing itself was made in Germany. So you UK pplz should have all the luck in getting it over there, seeing as it's not worth watching the cricket.... =) ------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
grrr darn anti-HTML policies...------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sorry Offender, where you perhaps aiming for
Non-Https Image Link
?For any english people that were trying to figure out what bender was on about $13 is £4.72.As to the cricket reference I'm as lost as the rest of you. I think maybe Bender comes from one of those countries where they think it's real......------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 09 January 2002).]

Meh

crazed_bunnymember
12 posts

Posted:
for those interested in what has gone before, this is a good post on materials etc. for making a glowstaff from before the electroglow came out - https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000076.htmldoesn't
seem to finish though... frown