Forums > Technical Discussion > All you Glowstick usesers!! I conducted an experiment...

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I use glowsticks allmost exclusively. I know anyoneelse that uses them likes to practice with them glowing. Its just isnt the same if they are not broken.But they are not cheap. I purchase mine a t Walmart in the camping section. They are the Coleman camping light sticks. Very durable, and can last up to 14 hrs. they come in good colors..Green bieng the best, then orange, yellow, then red. Red i hardly recommend at all. They do not glow very long, or bright at all.They are a little pricey. $2.75-$3.42 for a two pack. I now that everyone that uses Glowsticks has heard that if you put them in the freezer after you break them they will last longer. How many of us have really done this? I know i have tried it twice.Last week though,i broke a set of green GS's.I practiced for approximately 30-45 minutes. I immediately after i was done, put them in the freezer in the back where it is coldest. The next night, i pulled them out. After about 5 minutes they were completely thawed, and glowing just as bright as they were the previous night. I again enjoyed about an hour of lighted practice, and repeated the process. I practiced for an average of 45 mionutes each night for 6 days straight. On the 5th night was the first night i had noticed they GS's beginning to fade. Then i proceeded to use them two more nights, at about 60% light. Anything less than that is almost annoying.But i did make a pack last almost a solid week at 80- 90% light, before tossing them, and still practiced about an hour a night.Ihope this will help some of you peeps that throw strings and sticks to get more outta your money, and enjoy practicing with lit sticks, untill this electric stick issue is resolved..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
yea the freezer thing i've used alot. one night n8 had gotten emergency sticks that they use on the railroads (green) and that glowed (without freezing) 36 hours. so i stuck those in the freezer and they lasted me like a week in a half to two weeks. it was amazing. to all you glowstickers i highly recommend taking up that little space in the back of your freeze whenever possible smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
There you have it...Kriptonian tested, and Martian approved....Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
So why is it that if you put them in the oven they work after they have gone dead.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
funny garbo...now theres going to be dozens of people exploding glowsticks in the oven tonight when they get home... [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S"------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
You had to ask the chem teacher smile Here goes... Any chemical reaction takes place because the molecules are colliding and interacting. Temperature is simply a measure of the amount of motion that particles have (though this motion takes various forms that are not always visible.) When you place something in the fridge you are slowing down the particles and thereby lowering the number of collisions. An increase of 10 degrees Celsius essentially DOUBLES the rate of most chemical reactions. SO class, if you put it in the freezer (which is about 25 degrees cooler than the outside temp) you will slow down the reaction and it will last longer (which is why we put things in the fridge in the first place, to slow down biochemical reactions such as mold growth and milk spoilage.) And if you want to jump start the reaction later on, heating it will increase the collisions thereby increasing the reaction. Next class: Chemiluminescance or "Jump electron Jump!"

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
garbo, putting them in the oven wont make them glow again if they are *completely* dead. it only will work if it is still glowing slightly, maybe so dimly that you cant tell its glowing at all, but it still needs to be partially "alive." putting them in an oven, or a microwave, or holding them by a fire, or something that makes the glowstick hot will simply speed up the chemical reaction which causes it to glow. if its completely dead (if all of the molecules from the 2 substances have already completely bonded with each other, etc etc), then its dead, and it cant be brought back to life.just some basic chemistry, if you're all into that sorta thing smileHapes-Nova, glowstick lover and science buff

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
ahh, phooey, mrmo_nyc replied just before me. ah well.ho humHapes-Nova, slow typer

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ahhh knowledge is power...i love knowing why things work the way they do....cool guys thanks..."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
my friends and i put ours in the micro for 15 seconds, after we take them out of the freezerthey are supa bright

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey superman, i suggest stock piling up on glowsticks the next time a gun show comes around your area. they usually cost 5-10 bucks to get in, but once in they sell them for about $1 apiece (sometimes you can get cheaper if you buy in bulk). and they are very good quality (at least the ones i got), military issued. you can also buy them online for about $.84 off of websites or e-bay. however, i have had some a bad experience with purchasing glowsticks over the net and suggest you get a small pack first and if you are satisfied with that pack then buy a large pack of like a hundred or more.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
last time i was in the US i picked up quite a few glowsticks for a dollar each from a big dive store. always worth checking out

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
cool beans...i never would have thought to go to a gun show for glowsticks...good call redbrother...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
nono - better than gunshows! raver websites!now, normally you wouldn't catch me dead with a glostick and certainly not at a raver ANYTHING, but one of the aussies came over with BLUE glosticks and i was hooked. i found www.glosticks.com, and they're super cheap. 6inchers for 83cents, and 4inches for i think 65cents. you have to buy a dozen for that price, but it's worth it. they have all colors, and they're SUPER fast with the service. i had them like the next day!so there ya go.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I'll do better than that. =) *guesses he'll give up the glowstick secret for the betterment of poi users everywhere* I found the ultimately cheap website for ordering glowsticks.https://glowstickfactory.com/About $.60/ea :P Go to the page...it's kinda funky...look at the tops and bottoms of any page but the mail for a "Wholesale List" link and go to that. Any color, any sizeplur,CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
CrazyRaverDude you rock.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
You guys all can have you way of getting them cheap, but i got the cheapest way...STEAL THEM!!!!! ok not really, but the best ones i have seen so far are the coleman ones, and ive had this pair for about 2 weeks now, and they still have a glow to them.

Pain is pleasure.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Listen, here's a little hint. Find someone who works for a train company and become friends with them, these people can hook you up with enough glowsticks to drown in. My friend john is my connection his dad works for AMTRAC and they have these emergency chem lights (like the martian was saying) these things burn SO BRIGHT! they light up a room for days. and he can get them for free.- BOXES OF THEM. If you're not that fortunate go to cyalume.com and buy them in bulk, you can get an assortment of about 5 colors in a 50 pack for a little over 50 dollars.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think that blue is actually the best glowstick color. I use the Cyalume (sp? I'm too lazy to walk two meters to my closet and see how it's spelled) brand. Blue is not only one of the brightest and most distinctive glowstick colors, but it's also BY FAR the trippiest. Leaves the best trails.Oh, the human retina has more blue photoreceptors than green, and more green than red. smile-------------------MikeCertified Mad Doctor (in training)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

I am Timmember
7 posts

Posted:
I've been using the Coleman sticks and they last and work great. Plus, if you got the room, use some blacklights.. they "glow" then too plus the blacklights are fairly cheap... just got to put them in the right spots so they work good enough. I used that I'm gonna try the whole freezer thing tonight. Tonight was the first time I cracked sticks....AWESOME!

This is my signature

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i hate it when you buy your glow sticks and then go to a party and one of them is a dud... so sad .. i freeze mine and that works real nice to preserve them.. i used to microwave them and its true it will glow brighter but one day one of mine burst and i t was squirtin out glow juice like a cut jugular.. and one time it just barely broke a hole and i started doin some tricks about 5 minutes later i noticed it was sprayin glow juice all over me and my apartment ... i think best colors for me would be white and blue... i really like getting high intensity glow sticks... they only last for a couple hours but they are blinding bright... it looks so cool but you better do good cause when you crack those suckers everyone will be looking at you... i get mine from spy headquarters..

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Dj Tactmember
53 posts

Posted:
I freeze mine as well, actually the staff i use to twirl with (i always tape 3 glowsticks to each end, never do fire, cant do it inside usally, and leaves waaaay better tracers in my opinion) is actually an aluminium broomhandle, just screwed off the broom choped it so its 110, and then i stick the whole sucker in the freezer when im done and then i dont have to retape every time, i also have an excact same lentgh staff by the same broomstick company just this one i can practice with while the other one is frozen.. heh. I put red blue and green on each side.

Im flying away, running like the wind as i chase the sun up and spinning around, circles in my mind sailing over ground feeling the flow that Dj Tact brings down.My image is reflecting in the enemys eyes, flesh of my flesh mind of my mind. To over come want more to survive, my image is reflecting in the enemys eyes, and the enemy is reflect in the same time. I cant stop, flesh of my flesh mind of my mind, right here is where the angle start at, conflict contact, and combat, fighters say where there land is marked at, settle the dispute about whose the loudest, strongest, endless, only one of us will ride forever, so you and I cant ride togther, cant live... cant die together, all we can do is collide together, so i skillfully apply the pressure, wont stop till im forever. My doorstep where death never comes, walk tall why ever run?

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Lightbug, there is an easy way to find out of it is a dud. All stix have a little glass tube inside. Take the stick and hold it close to your ear and turn it somewhat slowly so that one end is down, and the the other. Listen for the "thud." Or sometimes you can feel it in your fingers. If it does that, then it's good.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i had a dud 10 incher once that even had a complete glass tube unbroken, i checked it before hand, i dont know what was wrong with it, but it just didnt light, pissed me off...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
just before they die
put them in the microwave for less than 10 seconds after they are thawed

it'l give em a boost, thats BRIGHT AS SHIT!

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tip glow show, i will be sure to do that from now on.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
if you really want to get them glowin again i suggest throwing them into a nuclear reactor for about 5 minutes, then jump in and get your glow sticks back they will shine like the sun. as a bonus you also be able to irradiate your whole neighborhood and cause horrible mutations. yay!!!