Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Yay! I hope you do make it tomorrow I like meeting new people... smile

scottyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
hey everyone

would like to come down to spitalfields sometime to learn some poi. don't know anyone though and don't know that many tricks....is there anyone willing to teach a near novice?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: scotty

is there anyone willing to teach a near novice?

Yes, yes there is.

Look out for this man, his name's Kev and he'll probably be sorting out the workshops for the evening, so he'll be able to help you find someone to teach you some stuff.

Edit.. changed picture, now that I've found a more suitable one smile
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1142383777)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Everyone is so very friendly....you can pretty much ask anyone and they will help you out....I know I would.

If you come tonight look for the blonde haired Aussie chick with horrible sounding voice and I will show you some moves...I love teaching....

smile

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
bovril... thats just not fair....

I thought that seeing as i have taken over spitz.. i should visit the link some time..

Its still on every tuesday from 7.30 (oficially) till pub at 10. the donation is upto £3.00 and loads of people who come regularly want to teach more, what we need are some more people to brave the cool weather and come play...

so tell everyone you know, bring them down and lets have some fun this spring...

If you have an event comming up that you think jugglie people may be interested in, bring me some flyers and we will add them to the growing flyer display..

A seperate note... i am considering hiring a mini bus (upto 16 people) to drive down to the bjc... if your interested, contact me at spitz.... or email me... kevin@devkev.com.. (put spitz in the subject)

have fun....
kev

juggle weavesmiley peace

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
It occurs to me that the Juggle and Poi icons need to be combined for Kev and his poiggling! smile

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
hmm i may just pop down to this sometime soon
this sounds like the kind of thing ive been looking for too, quite near to home aswell!!

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You live in london right...
thats near enough where spitz is... wink

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
yup i live in east and west london, so spitafeilds is no problem from my house in east, about 8 underground stops away biggrin

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i'll be in the 1001 from about 5ish if anyone's about tommorrow... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
oh well then do me a favour and go round hugging random people for me please. spain is cool but it´s all a bit of a cheek-kissing vibe and I miss all the hugs!

hug grouphug

eva

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I will be losing my Spitz virginity tonight. wink So I don't get scared by all the big buildings and stuff in this here stinky city, I'm bringing my mum. biggrin

I hate London...

So nyah.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smile I'll be there

bounce

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Sweeet. hug

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Wish I could be there, but tonight is just not a good night. Soooo knackered from the big weekend...

Hope you all have fun.

Are you going to be coming to more Spitz gatherings Mags?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey all, I'll be there next week (thanks Medusa for pointing me here!) smile

Is there any chance someone might bring along a spare staff for me? I'm already taking biochemical samples on the plane, I think if I brought a fire stick they might just be a bit too scared of the combination ubblol

If not, no worries, I'll be happy enough with my socks!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
That was wicked fun. Doubt I'll be a regular as I'm going back down to Cornwall thursday, but I'll be back at some point I'm sure. smile

Spitz rocks.

devil

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I'm sure someone at Spitz will be kind enough to let you borrow a staff. My friend Kylie always has one with her and she is a nice girl so I am sure she will be okay with you borrowing hers for a while.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
biggrin

can't wait to be there... I so need a bit of change right now, and London will just be perfect!

*hopes payrise will come in before she's let loose in Camden*

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
And I'll be seeing you chaps on 30th May!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
See you guys tomorrow, hopefully!

Just in case I get lost, could someone pm me their phone number please? I promise to pm mine back once I figure out what it is... wink

yayyyyyyyyyy!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Helloooo all!
I'm yet another Aussie heading over for the EJC! Weeee! My flights were finalised today.
Is this an open twirling meet? I would love to come along and meet everyone!
*hugs*
Eve

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Of course it is an open meet!!!

You are more than welcome...then I get to meet the girl who made a good impact on the Perth community after I left!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Was lovely (re-)meeting some of you, though I really didn't recognise duballstar with short hair ubblol

Currently sitting in an internet cafe with a blue kiss mark on my cheek... can only recommend the Blue Men Group biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Sorry I didn't make it guys was recovering from Monday night after being taken to hospital...next week hopefully...though at this stage I make no promises.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
good to see you too birgit... i hope the rest of your stay in london was as fun as tuesday.. biggrin hug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah it was... got to see some West End shows, and Chuck was taking me round Camden, and I spent lots of money... life is good wink hug

Medusa, are you feeling better? I was looking for you on Tuesday, had no idea you weren't well!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
In and out of hospital...it sucks but I think I am getting better now...hopefully you will come to London again before I leave in December so we can meet up then!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
awww... hope you get better soon! hug hug2

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've gotta spend about 1 month near Bedford in August/September, so maybe I can get a Clapham weekend off for going to London!!

Hope you're much better soon hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ......