Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'll be along tonight - how big are the outdoors Spitz?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
hiya

we will be there tonight. its still on everyweek and we still are expected back in the newly refurbished market at the end of october... hang in there and see ya later..
kev smile

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I'll be there smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i think im coming too

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I ubblove Spitz smile

Even on a "quiet" night it kicks serious bottom.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

paulinoGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi there!

My names Paulino, from the Philippines and I've just arrived to London and am looking for people to spin poi with.

I went to the Spitalfields workshops two years ago when I was last in London and actually met up with Ewan for another park session. I passed by Spitalfields last week and saw that there is construction going on where it was held before. Is there an alternative venue that the meet's been moved to?

It'd be great if you could give me Ewan's email or mobile number so that I can contact him directly for inquiries. Or you may also contact me through here, my mobile 07770915299 or email, pservado@yahoo.com.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,

Paulino (aka: 'Faisca' - COL6 DVD)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Hi Paulino! The workshops are still on, but just round the corner near a statue. We've been booted out of the market while renovations are going on, but should be back in there at the end of this month. Assuming good weather, the meets are still on tuesday evenings, 7 untill we decide it's too cold and migrate to the Water Poets.

Edit: Well, sun's just come out, and a bit af blue sky is peaking through, so I'm going to head down. Hope to see a few people there... biggrin
EDITED_BY: Sambo_Flux (1191946935)

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Paulino, I think Ewan has moved (to Italy? not sure)... and I believe Kev's been keeping it going.

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya

ewan did move to italy bu is back at the moment however i am still running spitz.

we are meeting near the statue in lamb street right next to the market from 7pm onwards. due to residents we move to the pub arround 9pm. even though it has been outside, we still get arround 30-40 people weekly.

Last i heard we should be back in the market at the end of october.. i shall get an update today..

thank you all for your support and see you later..

hugs....
kev ;:)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
kev hug

See ya'll later! I've changed my work hours again so I can't make the pub, but I should be there for a decent spin... biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hey all you lucky Londoners... Guess what...?

I'm moving back to london again! So after being gone for what about 5 years now (where has time gone? Have i really not been to a spitz in over 5 years???)... I return in December.

I would be ever so greatful therefore for the lowdown in the London scene - especially Spitz... Kev mentioned being back in the market end of October?

See you cool cats in December then!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Alice, the magnetic force of london has drawn you back in eek hug2

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I'm moving to Oxford near the end of November... so while that may seem very far away to you Londoners, it's a lot closer than San Francisco, so there's actually a decent chance I'll be attending spitz more regularly. Woohoo!

PS - if anyone knows any software companies looking for a Product Manager, or a good recruiter in the tech industry who might know of such a company, please PM me!
EDITED_BY: Orbit (1193884682)

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
Hi

Just wondered if you're still meeting at the statue or are back inside the market as I'm interested in coming to the meet tomorrow. Not been before but am keen to meet some other poi spinners.

Cheers smile

Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while you just might miss it!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Indeedly - "end of October" was the date last given for being back inside...

Kev/Sambo - Any joy?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Indeed it was! I believe "end of october" was what Kev was told, but it seems to be dragging on somewhat. The works aren't finished yet (last time I looked they hadn't even put the floor in), so until then it looks like we're stuck outside at the mercy of the weather. No joy on alternative venues yet either.

Hopefully it won't be long though.... fingers crossed. smile

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
Ah, it's not SO bad outside, as long as it's not wet... It's quite nice to be outside and spinning - more invigorating! wink
I'm so sad I can't make it to Spitz til December frown I'm still in Luton frown

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I just got a text saying that we can no longer use the Lamb Street area for spinning, so there's currently no venue other than meeting at the pub for a drink.
Spinning sessions are at least 50% social events so at least there's still that smile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Yup, tis true. frown

Kev got a complaint from a residents association person yesterday, so we're not allowed to use that spot anymore. Plan is to meet at the Poets for the next few weeks until we either work out an alternative venue or get back into the market.

I believe Kev's had trouble getting in touch with the people who run the market, and the residents association woman seemed to think that it had changed management, so we're currently unsure as to what's actually happening in there. We were told we'd be able to get back in there when the works finish, but it's looking like at least 3 weeks before that happens. So, if anybody has a suggestion for alternative venues (preferably in the same area), feel free to post them up here, or PM me or Kev.

That's currently the state of play, but with a bit of luck we'll be back in our old home fairly soon! We'll keep you posted...

Cheers to everyone who supports Spitz, you all rule, officially. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Soul is the Ocean

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
That's a shame frown Hmmm... Where could we go? hmmm, there's always that bit of free space near Cafe1001, but it probably belongs to one of the bars/ cafes around there, right?

Don't worry though Sambo! I'm sure there's somewhere we can go
hug kiss

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
Dear All

We have been utilizing the open space in Lamb Street for the past few months as our alternative venue whilst the works to the Spitilfields Market have been carried out. These works seem to be over running more than any of us expected as the original return date was end of September. It still looks like they may be another month.

We researched alternative venues with very limited success and after 8 weeks of meeting in Lamb Street without any complaints we had assumed that there was no issue with us meeting there. As a group we have been very conscious to restrict noise, mess and any disturbance to the residents who live locally, However Margaret representing the St George Residents Association has requested us to not be there any more as we are deemed a nuisance.

I have had residents who have approached me and stated they enjoy our activities and we seem to keep the “nuisance” people away by our presence. I would obviously not go against the St George Residents Associations wishes but I would encourage them to discuss this with the residents to confirm our departure is what is agreed by the majority.

In order for us to keep our social event that has been build over 5 years running and until we can re enter the market area or find alternative venues, we shall continue to meet for drinks on Tuesdays in the Water Poet pub in Folgate street from 7pm.

As soon as I have any information for you I will keep you informed

Hugs Kevin 
grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
frown
Boo to grumpy residents - same as when we got asked to leave the car park we'd been in for 6 years. Everyone (Police included) thought we were more of a deterrent to nuisances than an actual nuisance ourselves. But in our case the council said "No", and we didn't have a leg to stand on frown

Fear thee not, as (and when) we return to Spitz - it'll be just as good, if not better than it ever was.

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
We are not meeting in the market or at lamb street.

we are meeting in the water poet pub to discuss what we can do to move forward regarding back into market or new venue.... join us..

kev:)

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
attention: we have a new location.. click here to see:

[Old link]

Dear all

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
EDITED_BY: devkev (1202744507)

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
hiya..

got a few venue options to look into tonight at the pub.. hpefully see you there.

hugs kev:)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Do you have any parents of school kids and use school grounds. One of our other groups meets in a school gym each week for fight practice. Can you trade skills teaching for use of grounds? Still collect money for the use of grounds though.
We meet at a different school for sword work and use the undercover area when wet. Ours is weekends but the guys who use the gym do it eveinings.

Or move to Aust where we spin outside all year round wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

paulinoGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
oh really? Ok. Thanks. Would you know where exactly at Spitalfields the workshops are being held now? It has changed since I was here last 2 yrs ago.

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
Hiya all

Last week we met at the 93feeteast 150 brick lane over the road from the vibe bar. We had a small area out side and this seemed to be fine so lets meet there again.

https://www.93feeteast.co.uk/
map n info :
https://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pubsandbars/93-feet-east-maps-14960.html

If anything changes I will let you know. So keep an eye on the emails

Remember to keep Thursday 20th December free for a xmas fundraiser party for spinning@...s in Brixton from 7.30pm till 1.
see:
[Old link]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I misses yoos.

frown

Good luck with the sh1t and the things and stuffs.

Have a Kronenbourg for me at the Chrimbo party. beerchug

DreadnautGOLD Member
Dready Teddy
53 posts

Posted:
sorry to hijack the thread, but if anyone's looking for an indoor spinning venue on Fridays in London please check this thread smile

[Old link]

Page: ...