Page: ......
Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alright, a number of us have met in Toronto a couple of times now in Christie Pits park, and are going to be meeting on a semi-regular basis. Eariler tonight we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for GTA spinners, where we can post meeting locations and times, and others can post to say if they'll be available, etc.

and...well, this is it. Enjoy, all.

PS. When did we decide we'd be getting together next? I wasn't paying too much attention I'm afraid...

Mass Destruction Worldwidemember
83 posts

Posted:
Oh goody, another new person!!! YEY!

Our poi posse in the big ol T-Dot seems to be slowly growing bigger and bigger....

educate yourself - knowledge is power

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
^^^hey hey I was thinkin you were at OM...are you comin' out tomorrow?

Om Namah Sivaya

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey guys can't wait till the meeting tommorow. I was wondering about the music, does anyone have a boombox? If not I can bring my disc man with small computer speakers, they should to the trick but the batteries will only last for bout an hour or a bit more (they eat them up fast). Well in any case it will be a blast. I hope to see everyonewho didn't to OM there. LATEZ..........

https://www.geocities.com/b_da_g/boris.html

83 posts

Posted:
Hey SunSpot...umm, Im hopin I can come out tomorrow...Ill have to try and remember how to get to this "beachy" place...Ill take down your cell and let u know if I get lost...heh!!

Ya, I never made it to OM, not this year anyways...maybe next year:P Anyhow...hope to see you Kats tomorrow!

Lates!

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone. Well it was a wicked meet up tonite!...we really gathered quite the crowd...and the drumming and scenery were perfect *yummy grape crush*...thank you vitaly & boris

Nice to meet you maladmin...you've added another fun toy to the mix and I think I know what to get my cousin for her birthday

I trust all you the rest of you had a good weekend ...hopefully i'll see some of you on tuesday....and maybe if we're lucky brians LEDs too

[ 24 June 2002, 15:48: Message edited by: SunSpot ]

Om Namah Sivaya

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hey all,
glad you guys got together. sounds fun on the beach. did you want to meet there next time?
Om was amazing. Spun lots of stuff. I love Davey's flags and Opia's poi in black light look awesome. Last night Davey, Paddy, Opia, my girlfriend, two staff spinners and I all did fire. Paddy did eight burns all over the place. Great to see Oscar too.
Davey, Paddy & I also did fire for my brother's band Kan'Nal at 3:30am on Saturday morning. It was a blast. Boy, am I tired...

83 posts

Posted:
Hey hey...

Vitaly, Im so sorry I never showed on Sunday night. I went to Guelph to hep a friend move some shit, and got stuck there longer than I was suppose to be:( At any rate, it was cool to run into ya at the bar....what a weird coincedence!! Glad you all had fun though.

Im moving into my new place in T.O tommorrow!!!! So, I wont be able to make it to the Tuesday meet either, because of moving of course...but Ill definately be there this weekend...(any set plans yet???)

btw...vitraly, the blue stix....theyre STILL glowing! No shit!

Cheers!

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys it was amzing, we should all meet at the beach from now on. We can prob get live music cuz one of the drummers said they are gonna b there every sunday I belive it was. Also the crowd was nice I didn't think we were going to get that much attention. I hope all that went to OM had a blast, can't wait to hear more about it.

opiamember
9 posts

Posted:
Well I can't say this was my favorite Om compared to last year's...but it was fun meeting new and old poiers and chillin...also spinning with fire poi for the first time!! ..although I did burn my arm pretty badly the second night(the chain wrapped around my arm the whick caught my arm) trying it since I was exhausted from being there for 4 days already!

I sold a few poi which wasn't too bad but I wish I could have sold more..many people just didn't have the money with them but hey, there's always the natura 3-day all goa/psytrance festival in invernesse, quebec coming up in the end of july and all the toronto meets!

remember, if you would like to purchase your own comet poi in custom colours, just email me at swinginsquid@yahoo.com.

Hopefully I'll see everyone at the Trinity Bellwoods poi meet tomorrow (tuesday)...but does anyone know where exactly we're meeting?

[ 25 June 2002, 10:41: Message edited by: opia ]

peace&cheers,ra :)

maladminmember
46 posts

Posted:
Just to let you all know I had a great time sunday night, and to say thanks for making a guy feel welcome. Your all pretty awesome spinners and I can see I'm going to have to practice some to catch up. Still I'm making some practice poi atm so maybe I'll come down tonight to put some more time in.

Non-Https Image Link

c u all soon
Tom

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are. - Tobias Wolff

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Except for a minor incident I had a f*cking wicked time at Om. It was a wonderful festival and other than the lack of psy-trance, it was just amazing!

I was so happy to see so many people on that hilltop, spinning away. That was what I came to Om for.

I'll see you all tonite at Trinity Bellwood. I'll try to find you guys, but if I can't then I'll have to just wait till next saturday.

OOOH!!! Got my fire-staffs for doubles!! I think I'll wait for a special occasion to light them up though.. But this means I can teach easier I'll bring my electroglos in addition to my fire staffs.

C u all L8r!!

83 posts

Posted:
Im sweating my balls off moving right now...Id rather be at Trinity tonight...dammit. (well I WOULD be sweating my balls off if I had balls to sweat off...) Anyone got any info for the weekend...ie; where, when, bla bla bla.

anyways...back to moving to good old T-Dot!

opiamember
9 posts

Posted:
sorry guys but I don't think I'll make it tonight... I don't have a metropass this month and that would mean I would have to bike (I bike most places now) and well I'm still trying to recover from Om and my burn from the fire poi is somehow getting worse than when I first got it (looks pretty nasty if you ask me ). I'll be too tempted to play with fire again

As soon as I get my ass to either make or buy fire poi, I'll be oot n' abo0t twirlin' away

peace&cheers,ra :)

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey All!
I feel like I haven't been on here forever! Well I hope everyone has a great time meeting the other fire group tonight, I would have loved to come, but I was in the process of moving to T DOT as well!!! YAY! So once I finish moving in this weekend, i'll be set to go, and finally be able to get in some spin time! What's the call on this weekend? Day? Time? Place? Lemme know!
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Ok bout tha meetings I am not speaking for all but I think we all should meet at the beaches on sunday. It is a great area but if people don't feal like it we can alway meet at our usual place.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
I'd love to meet on the beach. If anyone from the west end needs a ride, I've got space for 5. 7pm near the pool?

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
Well OM was supper fun & too short!! I didn't spin fire much at all...stuck to the glow toys BUT I did do a burn for the GoddessGroves dance.
There were so many workshops and activities, people who i havn't see in a long time and music music music!

Lindsay - My friend Dave(McCloud) was asking about you. he met you at the party in the woods/park a few weeks ago. I think he may come out to a spin meet some time!
~*~
ALSO He's throwing a "chill" party at Cherry beach (right side if your facing the lake) this MOnday(canada day) from the afternoon on. Quite a variety of music getting louder as the evening progressess. I'm tring to convince him to stay untill it gets dark enough for spinning, he said if there were enough people still dancing he would!!! Anyone interested on going? I'll be there 4 sure!

SUNDAY I can't meet up as I'm going to a wedding celibration party - have fun all And hopfully I'll see you next week (or monday) !?!

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Alright guys,
Well, tonight is my last night at home (YAY!). But that means that from now on i'm going to have extreamly limited access to the net. So...as for this Sunday, how do I get there if i'm coming from Dundas and University??? I'll be checking back on here...probably Saturday night. If someone could get back to me before then, that would be wonderful!!! Yay Toronto!!!

Luv,
*Space*

"Yes, be the second Cato praised, not that he took the course to die, but that when 'gainst himself he raised, his arm, he raised it dauntlessly" -Matthew Arnold.

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

154 posts

Posted:
so is there no meet on Saturday at all now?
*pout*
Cristy pits...anyone wanna get together anyway?
I know a few People wantted to...Pety and Oscar and well me who can't come on Sunday.

let me know what gwan!

OH and for those not familiar with Cherry Beach for the party monday afternoon....
Cherry Street is east on lake shore not far past JArvis. Turn south(heading east that's a right turn - the lakeshore actualy has a merge lane into Cherry st. south) go all the way down, the street ends at the beach. once you get to the parking lot area walk over to the right and listen for music!

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna be bringing my UV toys to the Resistor party on Saturday, and I'm planning on performing at some point if anyone wants to come along

Its at the Reverb which is at the corner of Queen and Bathurst.

I might swing by the christie pits gathering as well, if I have the time. I wanna get some play in with my new double staffs and I haven't had the time lately.

154 posts

Posted:
Davy -
What time would u be going to ChristyPits?
What time would u be going to Resistor?

*huggzz*
B.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hey all,
this sounds like a busy weekend. I think I'd be up for Christie this weekend and Davey what time are you going to the reverb?
Sunday at woodbine beach sounds fun too. I think the directions are earlier on this page, from sunspot. However, I'm going to gay pride, so probably can't make it till 8pm. However, I'd like to go, because I think it's the last time we'll see Lindsay for a month. Bethany, Dave met Lindsay in High Park. Unless it's a different Dave.
Cherry beach on canada day sounds awesome. what time?

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
^^^the reverb seems to becoming a popular place these days

MissAstrofunk>>Dave is the guy that was taking the bicycles to OM right? Yeah he was nice...I enjoyed taking a break from our poi session to talk to him...I would luv to go to his thing but I'm going away

Anyways I was hoping that I might make it out to one more meet but this is not the case...so I will say goodbye to everyone here. Hope everyone has a wonderful month of july filled with lots of poi & fire

*~Lindsay~*

Om Namah Sivaya

884 posts

Posted:
Hey doods,

Haven't been on this thread since OM so I thought I'd say thank you all for a wonderful time. It was absolutely fantastic and I can't wait for next year. Does anyone have pics developed yet??

I'm going to be away for the next two weekends-boo-urns- so no Christie pits for me. Thusly, I really want to make it out on Monday but that's going to come down to timing, as I don't know what time I'll be getting home from being away. Is anyone planning on meeting up with the Trinity group on Tuesday? I met a few people from the group at OM and they're a great bunch. I'm going to try to make it out to that as well.

I'll be checking HOP over the weekend so let me know what you're all up to. Lates!

PS. I love the word "thusly". If it is indeed a word.

maladminmember
46 posts

Posted:
If anyone is going to chrissy pits on sat I'll be up for meeting you there since I want to practice some without the crowds you draw down at the beach. If someone can post a time and a place if required (I know where the park is from looking at a map but dont know if I'll be able to see you etc.) that would be great.

tfn
tom

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are. - Tobias Wolff

154 posts

Posted:
LINDA - it's a diff. Dave . The one your thinking of is lovingly refered to as Davy.

~*~As far as the CHERRY BEACH PARTY info I will post after this one.

LINDSAY - Dave is yes the bycicles for OM guy(and of "Promiss" who's putting on the beach party). He wantted me to give you his email: mdave@sympatico.ca
Where are you going? When r u comming back?

MALADMIN - Nice to see a new name and can't wait to meet you Satuday!

~*~Lets say @ Christy Pits(Christy subway sation BloorSt. line) by the gazeebo at 7:30-8pm untill whenever???

Resistor @ The REVERB PARTY SAt. night $10 - Yeah you guys should all come and then us spinners could take over the dance floor and not worry about the gravers dirty stares!! hehe
DAVY - are you going stright to the party from ChristyPits?

have a great weekend all!! HAPPY CANADA DAY!

*huggzz*
B.

154 posts

Posted:
Canada Day Monday July 1, 2pm - 9 pm

Promise Cherry Beach Afternoon

with musicians
Jah Reverend dub reggae
Mentalfloss tripdubandbass
djb (Chris Deville) house
Blissom (Spot Records) house
Eco-r1 (Eastern Bloc) house
Dan Lui (Chair Recordings) groovy techno
and special surprise guest!

Cherry Beach is one of the sweetest undeveloped spots in Toronto (for now at least) and past summers have proven that there's no better way to pass a lazy afternoon than relaxing in the tall grasses blowing beside the lake listening to beats. We're happy to host an afternoon in this special spot.

Bring a frisbee, bring a kite, bring a handy sweater, bring a dog (only nice dogs), bring your lover and a hammock. And pass the time on this hot holiday Monday with friends and friends of friends. Enjoy the best of what Canada is about.

Directions
Lakeshore Blvd East of Toronto
Turn right down Cherry Street
Go all the way to the parking lot at the end of the street
Go to your right (West) until you hear music.
Remember, biking there is easy along the trails along the lakeshore.

Things to think about
Please don't bring more than you plan to take with you, it has to be left clean.
Bring something warm and also something to keep sun off your head.
If weather turns foul the day of, call 323.0361 for emergency update.

Special thanks to Rene, Keijo and Jim of Livin' Large for the sound system.

See you there.

Thank you for the Promise Free Bikes at OM.

A big thank you to all the people who helped out with our Promise Bikeshare program at the 3-day OM festival. Thanks to Terry, Trevor, Leila, Andrew McCallum (Mental Floss), Micheal Trommer (Sans Soleil), Joey and Amy, Garth and Sara, Maogosha and John at the Community Bike Network, Jonah from Studio 416, Rene, Chris of Federal Sound and roomates, Brian from Brians Greens, Warren and Elizabeth, Dawn, Andries and Marcus from Habitat, Patricia, Stephanie of Burningman, Krysten, Robbie, Christina, Beverly, Jeff, Rob, Christian and Jamie McLean of Telefunk Soundsystem.

All these people helped us in our effort to provide free bikes for people to ride from one stage to another and up and down the grassy hills at the OM Festival this last weekend. We are happy to be donating the bikes to Cuba to a community bike garage in Havana. Check out the details of this program at https://www.web.net/~detour/cbn/bikescrossborders.html

Thanks all.

Also just confirmed:

Friday July 19 - Tall Sailing Ship Midnight Moonlit Cruise.

Promise and AlienInFlux host their second cruise together on the lovely tall sailing ship Kajama.
The Kajama holds 200 people and is truly the most beautiful boat out of Toronto to dance on. The boat was built in Germany in 1930 and was a trading galleon for over 70 years all over Europe and the East. It has 3 masts with working sails and a great sound system. We are finally in the full throes of summer and July 19th boasts a brilliant moon to light our way off into the mist, so the atmosphere will be perfect. 11pm - 3:30am. $30.
Reply to this email for tickets.

Here is a list of other upcoming events that we feel will be worth checking out:

Thursday June 27

Detroit's John Selway at Element. Venerable techno master from Detroit brings his funky techno, house and electro to Toronto. 10$/15$

Saturday June 29

Gay Pride festivities all day on Church Street. Djs from Play Records throwing down from 7 til 11pm

Nicole of Purr Project has offered Promise 6 free tickets to give away for Tarantella:Redanka, performing at the Guvernment. They have had tracks played by Lee Burridge and Sander Kleinberg and have worked with Danny Tenaglia, so their musical credentials are solid, should be a great show. First 6 requests replied to this email get the tickets.

Sunday June 30

Gay Pride festivities all day on Church Street.

Building Blocks holds an event bringing uk techno electro dj Billy Nasty into town - a very special guest. Among the other musicians on this night is Adam Marshall playing a live set. We heard his live set once before and it is beautifully deep and funky. Element nightclub $10 before 11pm, $15 after. We have two free passes to offer to this event to the first two people who respond to this email.

RNB hold an outdoor party at historic Sunnyside Pavillion. Rick and Natalie have had a long healthy history of putting together one of the sweetest vibes in Toronto parties, come down and check out the sunset lakeside with them. Fresh funky house music al fresco in one of the most beautiful lakeside locations in Toronto. 1755 Lakeshore Blvd. W. Starts at 6 pm. $10, more after 8pm.

Cheers,
David and Irving.

884 posts

Posted:
Bethany, in case I can't be there, please say hello Eco-r1 for me. I've met him a couple of times at partys I've been to.

I'm off now, take care all.

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
Hey guys

OM was fantastic!!!!!! I love meeting other fire dancers.

Sunday at the beaches sounds great. The drummers will deffinetly be there as one of the is a friend of mine. he was as excited to watch fire shows as you guys were to listen to drumming

Monday at cherry beach sounds wicked!!!!!

Plus anyone wanna do fire shows with me at the gay pride party saturday with the beaches drumming group????? Oscar are you around?? Thinking of busking a little, or a lot.

Can someone give me and a friend a ride to the beaches on sunday night!!!!

love and fire
chrystel
chrystel

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Could you guys do me a huge favor and use the mailing list for this stuff? Its difficult to follow this thread, especially as it gets longer.

I won't be at christie pits on saturday, and right now this is all a surprise to me so I probably won't be there on sunday either.

I will be at the reverb on saturday night, with all my toys.. If anyone would like to join me for that.

Page: ......