louisamember
2 posts

Posted:
hi guys, i've just returned home from a year out in oz and im fire crazy. only problem is i dont know anyone else in my area who is. i'd love to hear from ANYONE, especially someone who can tell me why kerosene is so hard to find here and where i can actually get some!!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey there,Not quite in North London, but in East London...I've heard there are some good spots to go in Vauxhall on Tuesdays and in Brixton on Wednesdays, but I haven't been yet, so I'm not sure what they are about.Get in touch though, I'd quite like to try gong with another Newbie...The only thing I have found to use here is Lamp Oil, which is probably more toxic than anything else, but it works quite well...you can get that at hardware stores, but it's not very cheap...C

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Hi GuysI've just moved from East to South-ish (Blackheath) & have only started spining recently. There is a good gathering of people on Tuesdays down by London Bridge. I've been across twice & as a newbie I'm always impressed by the others who are always happy to help smile There are also a few Firebirds there who may be able to help with the kerosene hunt.Give me a shout if you need to know where it is or if you want to get together some time. Practicing alone is fine but i'm sure it would be eaiser to pick someone elses brain rather than learning bruise by bruise winkHave a fab new year.Stu

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Hay Stu, do yoou mean at the Drome? I wwent there once and there was a guy outside crowd plaesing, but that was before i got involved. This dude was in the middle of the street, stopping traffic! What do they do there? Who is it?There's a shop near me that has parrafin for 50p a litre - on tap.I'm annoyed because it's cold and layers of clothing tend to get in the way of the fire. Hmm.Phil

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's a night in Vauxhall on Tuesdays and I believe still Wednesdays in Brixton. The Tuesday night is good fun, so trek down as it's not that far! info hereParafin seems to be sold in smaller hardware shops, but your big warehouse stores don't seem to even know what it is!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you're going round places asking for kero then it's no wonder you're having difficulties finding it.Kero is called parrafin over here.Whereas kerosene is aviation fuel.A silly linguistic difference. I think it's one of those things they do deliberately to confuse foreigners....

Meh

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Hey Phil - Tuesdays were at the Arches, off Southwark Road, but I only went a couple off times before Christmas so i'm not sure if the Vauxhall venue is instead or as well...There is another thread that mentions them both, but i'm not sure what's happening in the new year. Going to Brixton on the 2nd so hopefully find out then.Bit to cold this time of year to be wandering from one to the other wink------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~ Stu ;)

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
The arches are no longer doing juggling workshop however the viaduct and the brixton one is still running.I live in South London (Waterloo) so e-mail me if u wanna hook up 4 a spin sometime.------------------'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Bigfootmember
3 posts

Posted:
Cantus,Thank you, thank you, thank you...for the Parafin/Kero thing - it's been driving me mad! smileC

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
Hiya! I live in N London (nr Wood Green) and although I've just started, I'm hooked! I'm gonna be going to the workshop in Brixton on Wednesdays soon, so if you want to come along, drop me a line @ electra@scorpiomail.netTake care*s*

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
On top of Tuesdays at Vauxhall, Wednesday in Brixton I met a guy at the 414 (a club) on Saturday who told me there's a staff/poi night every Thursday evening at Highgate community centre.Due to the fact that both of us had a loose grip on reality at the time I would treat this as a possibility, not fact wink However it'd be interesting if it does happen up there!

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
Yo Yo...Is the highgate community centre the Jackson's lane centre? I gotta go there on wednesday for something.------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY