Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > is this a 6 beat weave /w wrap?

Login/Join to Participate

Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
ok what i do is a standard weave (i refer to it in an over under out pattern because that's what it is) after the under stroke of my left hand on the right side i swing my poi so it wraps aroudn my arm (not all the way but part of the way and kind of weves back out, it seems to work best wraping near my elbow with almost all the string doing the wrap instead of just about half of it) at this point when it begins going out my right arm is guiding it to the other side to unwrap. i continue to weave but wrap the right poi around my left arm on the under stroke doing the same thign to pull it back to my right. rinse, swing, and repeat.

I looked for posts on 6 beat weaves but i couldent really find many. Is this how to do it? (sorry if my explination is crappy) and is there a way to do a 6 beat without a wrap? somone tell me what you think a bout this.

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
ummmmm

Zerepticle

thats all i have to say about that

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
5 beat* you dont have to let it wrap your arm either, just place your hand over and fold your hand around your other arm.

6 beat means that you would have to do yet one more extra beat on EITHER side to make it 6.

odd weaves that are not mirror patterns: 4,6,8 beats, because you can do them either side, learn both sides and put them together you get: 5,7,9 beat weaves.

Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
well i knew all of that but i wasnt sure if what i was doing would really classify into the weave family since i hafto use arm wraps. When i count the number of time each of the strings spins it coems out to 6 which is why i believe it is a 6 beat. But i dont know what to call it

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Could be 5 could be 6, cant tell. U can do a 4bt weave and forarm wrap to make it five, im sure he just said that, but to do a standard 5bt your arms should feel real uncomfortable, unless you are abnormal.
If u do a 5bt rev weave your right hand is on your right side and the left hand leads back to the left side wall plane. Or vice versa. If your doing a 4 bt the right hand leads back to the left side. ( I THINK?!?) But english beats are totally different to american and im in nz so i would'nt really know.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it sounds like your normal 'over under out' pattern is a 3bt weave. if you then wrap the poi of the crossed over arm on the other arm before bringing it over, you will add a beat to that side of the weave.

as it was described in the first post, you are doing this symmetrically which makes a total of 5bts.

like pk says, to make it 6bt you need an extra beat on one of the sides. think you might need to video yourself and count the beats that way?

these are the 'thru-wraps' that most people discover first - i know that's certainly true in my case.
it sounds like you're playing with a nice offset variation - its a little trickier but looks loads different to your normal 5bt weave.

the easier one is to wrap the other poi instead - right poi wraps left arm when on right side and vice versa. of course learning both variations leads nicely on to hyperloops

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, it depends on when, where and how you thru-wrap.

If you're staying in a set time 1112 is right. Symmetrical is odd beat, assymetreical would be even.

Though you can wrap your left arm on both sides as I first learned (wraping and unwraping the left arm on both the right and left side) which complicates that theory sort of ...

Also, keep in mind that you can change the tempo of each poi while you're thruwraping and have the poi "pass each other by"... FOr example, while your right poi is wrapped on your left arm, your left arm is free to spin about at anyspeed... you can have the right poi slowly wrap the left arm while the left poi does many more beats... so the left poi has traveled further and done more beats than the right poi...

The horror, the horror.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You do realize the oxford/webster definition of weave means exactly the same thing as "over under pattern"

Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
I know how to do a regular 5 beat weave and when i explain it it sounds like it should be a 5 but i think somehow it is a 6, maby i'm not refering to beats but actual 360 degree spins in a circle, but shouldnt that be a beat?? I'm kinda new to this, only been doing for a month on and off.

Either way nomatter what this is i get a good reaction when i do it, and it dosent feel as weird as when i do a normal 5 beat weave....well excluding the rope burn on my forearm :/

If i had a video camera i would video and upload it to show you but i dont and i really dont want to spend my money on one at this time....unemployment *sigh*

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
How to count Beats.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/beats.htm

Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
well I tried counting again and i'm still confused about it i think it might just be a varation on how to do a 5 beat weave now or maby a 6....it's hard to count spinny things that occasionally hit you in the head ^.^'

since were on the topic of it how to you do a normal 6 beat weave neway?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
3 beat with extra beat either side makes 5beat, to make a six beat you need to put one more extra beat on one of the sides.

if you learn that, do it on the opposite side and once comfortable put both together and you get a seven beat.

heres a sample that i posted from another thread.
these are offset versions of the weave, rather than the normal weave plus truwraps for extra beats.

quote:
Offset weaves and the 7 beat weave....

i suggest downloading the video in staff moves title drew and stick and soming about DJ Shaddow.

if your talking about the 6,7,8 and 9 beat weaves with no wrap, then download the video drew does the 7 beat there pretty clearly enough for you to get the idea.

You don't have to be supple to get your arms and hands into the position, its fairly straight forward, the reverses are a little more difficult though. there are over 32 offset weaves to discover, but, the 7 beat is an offset on the left then offset on the right. If you want to take it past 7 beat then you have to learn the finger cross's too.

to offset on the left side spinning forwards: after your right poi has made its 1st beat on the left side of you, its natural will then follow, 1 beat with your left poi in a 3 beat weave, as your right poi makes its second beat, turn your left arm up, your left arm needs to be 90 degrees from the elbow hand being top and the elbow being at the bottom, this is instead of taking the left poi back to the right side!. as your right poi comes out of its second beat you should then make your right arm turn up 90 degree's too. At this stage your left elbow should sit comfortably [haha not] in the pocket / joint of your right arm, you should then be able to fold your arms around each other, folds the wrists round each other too for that extra reach, I do suggest however that your spinning from the tips of your fingers with your loops still secure, this will help. so at this stage your left arm is all wrapped around your right arm, but the left hand is in the same position that it is still leading through the move. so once here you can move it over to the right side, let it all unwrap and your arms will be free again for 1 beat, then mirror what you just did on the left side.

*You can offset any beat weave "2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9" by following the above description and do them on either side then learning them all reverse too! the 9 is from wrapping from the finger tips for an extra beat on each side.*

theres and extract for my website, i posted this months ago if you care'd to search. its easy to find things here.
reverse it for reverse moves.

hope this helps.

Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
yea, thanks

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Does "Offset" just mean "cross your arms"?

Cuz I don't understand how you'd do an offset 2 beat weave but whatever...

Also, with thru-wraps the wraping poi is always going to speed up so having the poi 'pass each other' and totally mess up the beat count is common. It's actually pretty difficult to keep the poi paralel on thru wraps... but that's another topic.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dementiamember
8 posts

Posted:
hello this is random and completly off the topic but WHERE THE HELL DO I BUY POI FUEL. i wanna use lamp oil to avoid smoke/smell. what sort of store would sell this stuff. i tried home depot, no luck. ive been searching the net, not much luck there either. also, how much fuel do i need to last me for a few burns? yes this means ive never done fire, but ive been practicing with beamers for a few months so i feel ready for fire.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
check any other hardware store or look harder in home depot (it really should be there)

Walmart probably has it to.

Edit:lamp oil is pretty expensive. if you spin much at all you will find it hits the wallet pretty hard. The smell and smoke isn't that bad unless you are spinning indoors. It washes out of clothes fine.

[ 07. June 2003, 13:00: Message edited by: Astar ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Does "Offset" just mean "cross your arms"?

Cuz I don't understand how you'd do an offset 2 beat weave but whatever...

Also, with thru-wraps the wraping poi is always going to speed up so having the poi 'pass each other' and totally mess up the beat count is common. It's actually pretty difficult to keep the poi paralel on thru wraps... but that's another topic.

1:offset is "crossed arms"

2: 2 and 3 beat is a singular beat one each side with each poi whilst your arms are crossed.
[3 beat has an extra beat, you know how to count that dont you and know the pattern?] they [being your arms]never uncross. each can be done on the left and or right arm.

3: any other offset beat weaves your arms will have to cross and uncross.

4: there are a total of 32 offset weaves to play with.

thru wrap weaves, if you have a catch up on a 5 beat then your doing it wrong for a start, you timing is off and your not crossing sides early enough.
if you want to add more beats then your going to have a catch up and the poi will end up changing sides paralelle to each other, this is because you have wrapped your following poi around the leading poi arm, so when it comes to moving the lead, your infact moving the follwing too. [that make sense?] it does to me.

so? to me that doesnt make thru wrap extra beats higher than a five beat entirly a weave / cross follow move beacuse they
1: change speeds and catch up.
2: for good measure they dont even look good.

so are they good for any thing.....
1: Q: is there any point in learning them? A: yes, your learning how to get out of ****ups yet again, and this is a good thing for learning control and fluidity. That to me is every reason in which a newb [sorry i catagorised people]should learn thru wrap weavy type ****ups.

does this help you NYC? i hope so. you've obviously played and thought about it to figure out a reason to question it.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
thru wrap weaves, if you have a catch up on a 5 beat then your doing it wrong for a start, you timing is off and your not crossing sides early enough.

Sorry coach. I'll work on it.

Actually I was talking about a traditional 5 beat weave with no crosses. I tend to lose timing when I get lazy and don't cross all the way. Or when I do the 5 beat in a strange orientation. Keep in mind, I use pretty short chains so it's much easier to mess up timing.

As for the thru-wraps... I've always been pro-wrap (and pro rap but that's just because I'm from Brooklyn)...

Thru wraps can be pretty. Especially if you're spinning for fire spinners who are bored of the weave.

You can make them pretty by speeding up and slowing down the non-wraping poi to keep them paralel... but I'm not quite there yet...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*wrap=dull cant be bothed to make stops/direction changes properly*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Properly"?

What... shall I do a stall, have a spot of tea, curtsey, and start spinning in the other direction?

What, by God, is the correct way to change from a butterfly to a weave? And where can I find more on proper poi transition ediquite?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you want a crumpet with that tea?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
What, by God, is the correct way to change from a butterfly to a weave?
see 'how to' @ 4:19

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lmao at cole