Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Graduating From Electro To Fire

Login/Join to Participate

SynTexmember
1 post

Posted:
I Just found out about Fire chains 3 months ago. I'm really intrested in learning the art. I was just wondering how long does the average person practice with elelcro poi or tail poi until they try fire for the first time? After 3 weeks of tail poi and a month of electro poi i feel comfortable enough to try fire. I've mastered about 7 moves and i as long as i stick to what i know i can do i don't make mistakes. I'm also intrested in buying a video from this website...any recomendations?

((-_-)) SynTex ((-_-))

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
whenever you feel ready and that you can do it without injuring yourself. Some people think this is within 24 hours of starting, i think they are tripping. Some people think after 6 months, which i think is a little extreme.

There's no simple answer, but i recomend after a couple of months, provided that you've done practice most days. Before you try with fire, set out what you are going to do and practice doing it (with the firechains, unlit). If you can confidently do the moves and transitions that you want to do with fire and no longer hit yourself, other than the odd tap every 15 minutes or so, then give it a go with fire.

It's really just common sense, if you're the sort of person who gets hospitalised regularly then 24 hours is fine, if you are the cautious sort then as I say a few months and only perform moves you are well practiced at. The first time i did fire I only did butterfly, weave, reverse weave and corkscrew. Even now I only feel confident enough to do 80% of the moves (and more like 10% of the wraps) i know with fire, even though most of the other 20% i've done for months with leds.

good luck

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it also depends on what you want to DO with fire. I lit up for the first time and really only did the weave for 3 minutes because that's all I knew how to do perfectly. Of course it was pretty boring, but that gave me huge incentive to learn other tricks.

Just don't do any tricks you can't do perfectly.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
and please! have someone else there with you when you light up! if you get a crazy tangle around your hands which you cant get off, you will be put off poi for a long time...

Josh

Dazmember
47 posts

Posted:
So long as you are confident on the moves that you do know, then thats enough for you to be able to go for it. Even though you crack a basic move, self doubt will always make it harder.

Fear is the only thing we have to fear!

What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

Come alive!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
Fear is the only thing we have to fear!
Um...no, not really. What we have to fear from doing fire is (but not limited to)

1. Injury to someone else
2. Injury to yourself
3. Injury to yourself and a personw ho tried to help you
4. Damage to your property
5. Damage to someone elses property
6. Damage to property resulting in death of someone else (eg housefire caused by flaming poi head landing on nearby roof - but not limited to)
7. Damage to wildife, flora and anything else that may result from an out of control fire
8. Criminal charges brought against you by the local authorities

And so on. What I'm astonished to note is that Josh is the only person who has mentioned having someone else there.

THE FIRST RULE OF FIREPOI IS TO HAVE A SAFETY WATCHING YOU.

A safety is someone trustworthy and not under the influence of anything. They also need appropriate safety gear, ie an all-purpose fire extinguisher, a fire blanket and a damp (not wet) towel.

This has nothing to with your skill and everything to do with the nature of fire and it's ability to go completely out of control.

The attitude of "Nothing went wrong last time so what can go wrong this time" doesn't work with fire.

There was an incident here in New Zealand where a guy at a Xmas party got his grass skirt alight. A lady tried to save him and received 3rd degree burns to her hands and arms.

The guy died at the scene, and she was hospitalised for weeks.

That is one of the possibilites that can happen when people aren't aware of how to deal with fire. Hundreds of people worldwide die or suffer horrible injuries due to a lack of equipment and knowledge.

Please, no matter how safe you think you are, don't ever think that there isn't the chance something will go wrong. The possibilities are truly horrific, and not necessarily just restricted to you...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?