Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
tis called an airwrap.
although some people call them tangles or tangles wraps.

and like this weekend proves, they never work when anyone (important) is watching.

that'll learn me.

Glass

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
glass u callin us important now mate?
hang up your poi?
told people you aint the full shilling.
lemme werk on some new stuff man then we talk again.hehe

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
glass followup to our phone conversation last night.
will this move be accepted for the jedi set or not, i think it should cos you cant do it!
7 beat corkscrew with no wrap or turns to add beats! and possibly the 8 beat too as i tried it last night when i got home and seems easy enough and may work better than the 7beat.
lemme know.
i will this week at some point be bothered to film this and get it down to you with footage from the weekend.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
The above 7 and 8 beat no wrap or turn corkscrew is known as *THE JEDI LOUISE*, simply for its utter uglyness and its ease in screwing.
just for you glass i know you want the photo's mate.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I could be wrong on this, but don't corkscrews tend to be even numbered 2,4,6,8 ? so it must not be symetrical, right?

[ 12. November 2002, 11:56: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
santantatwo.
The rebel alliance say:
not really on topic
[ ]
This was intended as a thread about technical
spinning.
[ ]
BTB fountain, if you mean full or upper fountain, then its not possible, unless shoulders are double jointed. and lower fountain is called 3 beat to rev 3 beat weave round here.

Hikotage. I re read your post, I take back what I posted above about air wraps. All in the airwrap family, but second time round I think that what your talking about is like putting a airwrapped buzzsaw into a hyperloop. (this is what I was sarcastically calling the maxi plus above) totally and utterly jedi. I'd like to meet anyone who can land this with any consistency. I've made it about 4 times. Its one of the moves I'm working on next. How you doing?

PK and insane, man you can't start naming moves after a munter you porked, the official board of poi things will complain. Meanwhile, I'm waiting a little while, because you gotta explore a move properly before you know that it is the harderst version of what you got. and it seems like you still growing/playigng with this one.
Pictures you say. are they laminated so that you can wipe them clean after use?

I've got a sneaky feeling that I found a poi move that can't be done backwards at the weekend. Now that would be weird.

Just watched the empire strikes back.

Glass

[ 27. November 2002, 14:41: Message edited by: glass ]

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes...the Maxi Plus. Thous I did notice the name, I did *not* notice the move associated with it before. Whoops. Yes...this is what I was refering to.
Personally, I find the Maxi Plus quite easy. Practice a little bit longer and I'm sure you'll get it, it's just a tiny timing issue, as your hand pause in midair as inertia (errr...rather...THE FORCE™) keeps the poi moving in a buzzsaw motion. I do not have enough control of THE FORCE™ yet to keep the buzzsaw indefinitely, but I will work on it. The only really dificult part (personally)is getting both poi to move after finishing the "Maxi Plus." On occasion, only one poi decides to continue the original motion, while the other only pauses in midair, then drops. Obviously this is a very powerful move, as it can drain the life out of the otherwise animate poi.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I'm getting confused. Could we recap on the definitions of the moves being mentioned? Airwrap, buzzsaw, hyperloop, Maxi plus?

How's this: Do opposites in front, so that they are almost touching in the middle. Slowly turn. The circles circle each other, but one spins slightly faster so that the poi continue to almost touch in the middle, each beat. The planes stay on the same side of the spinner, so that he/she turns his/her side/back/side to the planes before returning to facing them.

Would that be Jedi?

Nick

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Glass, nice threads... I love you man!

I didn't understand the concept of this post untill I was a walking home yesterday, and it nearly ran into me like a semi-truck. jedi is not the move, it is the person. Even a person who has never swung poi can be a jedi....this post is about opening up that part of ourselves...among other things....

So, anyways, y'all need to try one more time to explain this "hyperloop" and "carry" thing...cause WE are still not getting it....

[ 28. November 2002, 07:31: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
After confering with North American Jedi Aliance Council (NAJAC) We have decided that the most technical and difficult poi moves do not by themselves a jedi master make. The FORCE flows in the movements of dance and martial arts while doing poi. The most technical move done well look easy, and the simplest moves done with dance are still entrancing. But the ultimate is to do the most technical and the hardest moves (the jedi set) and place them with the most sensual and fluid dance and fiercest martial arts style, and then, only then, a JEDI MASTER will you be.

The jedi set is something only a JEDI can do, Dance and Kung Fu with the jedi set make a JEDI MASTER. Do the jedi set alone and one may risk looking like a drunk flopping around.

[ 28. November 2002, 07:33: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I don't know if you noticed it or not, but Jedi White does a 7-beat btb weave on COL3

Oh, and Glass.....If you don't submit a video to Malcolm for COL4, the NAJAC is going to come over there to England and kick y'alls collective butts Were die'n to see your skillz man!!!

[ 28. November 2002, 07:37: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
But wasn't it a 7-beat with a wrap? Not a true 7-beat, IMHO.....still quite impressive, though

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Corkscrew hyperloop(with two beats)was it mentioned?I can do it.If hyploop is hyploop as I catch....

I saw Glass posted video and thing that man do some small chaet with hyperloop , because is more easyer to do hyp. with rope poi.He crank the poi in the end of chain and begining of kevlar rope(vide video), but with normal chain poi or training string is very very hard (I trind whole one week)and when the chain is facile. No comment.

Im very sorry if I meddle.

And Richee does not mean Im rich realy not...
it because my name is Richard and my friend call me ["ryčy"] (riche in English transcription)

I want to help some,to learn some I M THERE TOO

POI THEO(R)IST

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:former agument post:

[ 28. November 2002, 14:35: Message edited by: PK ]

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
No sweaty words please.Im not an idiot.
Poi with rope re normal poi and hyperloop is normal trick...,but I still think he cheated .You do the hyp. with chain poi, right why not. and cork.hyp.???Is it unbeliveble? No, it only reality.

POI THEO(R)IST

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:former agument post:

[ 28. November 2002, 14:36: Message edited by: PK ]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hikotage, the fore (TM) have you all got a decent name for the hyperloop buzzsaw, cos i only called it maxi plus above for a joke.
Anyway thanks for saying its easy, helped me land a few of them last night. begining to feel them.
Plus I've got a whole new airwrap to work on and its sick, but let me .

Thanks PK
ok. I answered this in the other (video) thread.
tis cool: [ ] But no, using these poi ain't any easier than chains. for this, I found it harder.

but hell both the hyperloops in that video are a bit crap, cos they wrap too near to the handle. Thats real old footage.
they should aim to touch much closer to the middle.

I think PK has some footage thats better with fire chains somewhere.

richee. we're doing corkscrew hyperloop too. tis a good move, but am trying to get the extra - horizontal buzzsaw into the middle of it. bit tricky. like a horizontal Hyperloop buzzsaw

meenik, mee no understand.
airwrap, family of moves, wraps (not stop wraps but thru wraps) where the poi wrap around each other. including hyperloops which are probably the easiest and are in the video.
buzzsaw- aka wheel aka burn the nose
Hyperloop maxi plus with wings, (it was a joke name above) doing an airwrapped buzzsaw in a hyperloop so at least 4 loops

I'm off to explore the world of stick with nix?.

Glass
__
Be

[ 27. November 2002, 14:45: Message edited by: glass ]

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Very Interesting Glass, I must say your doing a great job here and well out of my league now. Sorry I haven't posted in a few months; I got stuck searching for the JEDI BUTTERFLY WEAVE, and it seems I have found it near the southern tip of Florida.

It all started after my discovery of the 5 beat bf weave, which I soon found to be quite possible while doing a 360, but that was only an intermediate move of course.

Then after much practice(and very sore forearms)I found it possible to accomplish the afore mentioned move BTB, advanced yes, but not quite JEDI. I then became discouraged, thinking i had perhaps taken the wrong path. It was not until a month later that I realized the two moves could be joined, could this possibly be the elusive JEDI BUTTERFLY WEAVE?

A 360 5 beat Butterfly weave, while transitioning to the same move BTB after each 360 is complete!(NOTE: continued repetition of this move requires much concentration and control of the force, thus making one quite dizzy)

PLUR
DOC

[ 09. November 2002, 19:31: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

Let us Light up the Night

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Don't worry glass...I've understood the Maxi Plus' origins. Silly boy! right...I'm still working on the name...contacting the physics books (err...the ancient Jedi manuscripts...that is) in search for a fitting name. Or rather...discovering what it always was and always will be. right.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
HAH!!!
i fart in your general direction and urinate humorously on your jedi order. obi wan never told you the truth about your father...

we of the sietch meteor bene gesserit fire order live without fear. we do not fear the maxi plus or the corkscrew hyperloop with horizontal buzzsaw and horizontal isolation. much spice have we ingested.

if you can do all that _while bellydancing_ and then do reverse horizontal downward bflys behind your back, move your right hand to the left side of the waist btb and vice versa, and wrapping the poi around your waist, bend the torso over, unwrap in the _vertical_ plane and move the hands back to a btb vertical bfly, stand torso upright, and then immediately cross your arms behind you again so the vertical bflys are in front of you, with both arms crossed all the way around the back to the other side, for at least one count, before going back to the btb bfly, all _while bellydancing_ we will consider your application into our order as an acolyte- upon your renunciation of the jedi order of course and subsequent delivery of your old master's head

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
One day I will venture from sleepy dorset to the world of the Poi-masters and learn some of these wonders. Will you teach me UK dwelling Jedi Magic Makers?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
#1 Hyperloop buzzsaw, from both sides and in reverse....no problem. do it continueousely, no problem. lets call it a hyperloop buzzsaw fountain.

#2 Last night I did an "uterly jedi move" and I don't know what to call it..... hyperloop on the left (two beats), bring it into a buzzsawed hyperloop (two beats), then back out to the left (center of rotation must move out to the left also or it doesn't count) for more hyperloop (two more beats added to airwrap) then back into the middle for more buzzsawed hyperloop, then unwrap on the right (four beats of unwrap).....

What shall I call it???

double hyperloop buzzsaw ____?

[ 12. November 2002, 12:11: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
there is apperently more than jedi clan in the world....

However, "I AM" the Kwizach Haderack

[ 28. November 2002, 07:39: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
WOW, thats all i got. WOW, i thought i was becoming skilled in the art, i learned all the moves on the tutorial and am beginging to put them together to flow and have lots of style but this post just blew the top. someday i wish to spin with some of you fine folk.
Buddy

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I never knew the weirding way involved fountains...

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
apparently, when the hyperloop is buzzsawed, you can stay in the buzzsaw as long as the resistance of the chains twisting up doesn't take to much of a toll on your momentum.

Jedi White tryed it with some realy heavy poi last night and it was SUPER easy, so if you are having trouble, do it with heavy poi. I am just using tennis balls with dog chain.

I think the buzzsaw needs to stay in even beats for it not to tangle, but I haven't verified this yet....I'll make my padawan help me with it tonight

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
daniel this word fountain. I don't think it means what you think it means. Fountain is a very specific oldschool clubswinging move which everyone around here (its a bit of a simplification, as a very long post I'm about to make explains)
would call 3 beat weave to reverse 3 beat weave, in the wall plane taken low going fwds to backwards transition and taken high on the bkwds to forwards transition. (this is not all the fine detail, and it turns out to be a family of moves nowdays.

Arashi. We're sending Cassandra over with a big bottle of medication for you. That farting sounds like a bad case of IBS
Ros

Doc Liquid (you got any extra medication for him?) Ok you reminded me of a move there, wall plane butterfly (push thru) weaves to reverse butterfly weave BTB. (I only do 3 beat, cos I think of anything more as being doing push thru's in the move, ie you can do as many beats as you like, it aint any harder). split time or butterfly time, I cant do the split time....yet)

F :)ck me Patea Poi E just came on my Mp3 player. Wicked

Hikotage: shall we come up with a really stupid name (hyperloop deathspiral , the toasted nose puppy ?? er,..no) or just call then Hyperloop Buzzsaw then
with that there LTJ- Horizons quote, do you know detours.mpg?

blah blah blah

Glass
______
"cos you never can tell, there just might be a gremlin in your house."

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
Alright, I would just like to let it be known that it is not up to only one person or group of people what is concidered "JEDI".......As a member of the NAJAC(North American Jedi Alliance Council) I know that in order for something or someone to be considered "JEDI" , you must first undoubtedly KNOW that it is so......once this step is taken, you must have confirmation by other beings.......In short, if you think it is "JEDI" and the whole crowd go's "ooooooooooh" and "aaaaaaaaaah" or "yeeeeeehaaaaaaaw", then and only can you even begin to wonder if it is actually "JEDI"......

hesitation+fire=death

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
On another note.....even if a move is considered "JEDI"........If it is not performed with fluidity and propper form then it is far from........

hesitation+fire=death

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, Glass

I know I haven't realy been sat down and shown a fountain "look this is a fountain".... but I think (hopefully) that I sort of understand what you guys mean when you say "fountain".

In my attempt to put into words the act of doing a move forwards and backwards while tuning 180 degrees I have found that the GENERAL concept is simmilar to a fountain as compared to a regualr weave.

I guess it could confuse some newbies, but I haven't found a better word yet that describes the act of doing a move in all the possible ways without stopping....

If you have one, please let me know, because i hate using the word fountain for everything....

And Hitokage is right, the hyperloop buzzsaw is just a matter of timing and practice (and natural jedi talent) . I can now do it almost flawlessly now after only a couple hours of practicing it... well, three out of four, I still haven't practiced left to right from reverse.

How about calling the variation on this (double hyperloop buzzsaw) the hyperloop spiral of death?

Glass, Thank you so much for this thread, keep the ideas comming, so we can bounce them around some more

Page: ...