Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Alright, so I'm learning the 5 point weave. I looked it up on the search and figured it out...I think. What I need to know is this: i'm doing the weave and 'wrapping' my arms on right side, then unwrapping them on the other. Is this the 5 point? or do I also have to wrap them on the left side as well???

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
I guess you mean 5 beat weave?
Anyhow.. you need to wrap on the right, unwrap on left, wrap on the left then unwrap on the right.. and repeat.. easy as that
What you're doing is probably a 4 beat weave which is nice too..
Tom

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Right! Thanx for the help Tom! I figured that when I went out to do it again, did it slower and counted ... Maybe I should have done that in the first place! So I got what I now assume to be the 5 beat down pat (only took about 15-20 minutes!!!). But here's my question now, with the right arm, I do 3 beats on the right side, and 2 on the left...shouldn't it be the other way around???

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
You should be doing 3 beats on the off side (ie right hand does 3 on the left) it could just be in the counting.. each wrapping or unwrapping of your wrists will add half a beat to each poi. As you unwrap your wrists, do the normal beats and then wrap your wrists again you should get 1/2 beat + normal beats + 1/2 beat = 1 more beat on each side. Anyhow hope that helps.
BTW you're not the first to say you seem to get 3 beats with the right hand on the right side, just I never counted it that way..
Tom

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Yar, I really think i'm getting 3 with the right hand on the right side...I wish there were some other twirl kids closer to me! I suppose i'll just have to wait a couple of months...Thanx anyway Tom!

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
You could be doing 7 beat weave?! 4 beats one side and 3 beats the other!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ughhhhh, yea, weaves and beats and points

1A. It's a seven beat when you are wraping the chains on your wrists on both sides (wrap right poi on left wrist while on left side, unwrap right poi on right side and repeat vise versa)

1B. If you wrap only on one side and unwrap on the other side, then it is actually a five beat.

2A. However, if you wrap your ARMs around EACHOTHER on only one side, then it is a four beat.

2B. If you wrap your arms around eachother on both sides, it is a five beat.

And to my knowledge...a five point weave is just a weave where you turn back and forth while keeping your feet planted, but you have to twist a LOT to get a five point. A three point is easier.
3 point weave: do a forward weave and turn to backwards while keeping your feet planted, then turn the other way to a reverse weave on the other side.

5 point weave: do a forward weave and turn to a reverse weave, and keep twisting the same direction, into a forward weave again. now untwist and do the other way.

I could be wrong about the nomenclature here, could somebody back me up? Can I get a witness?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Thanx guys! It turns out I am doing it right, (and a very happy girl at that). Sorry bout that other (same) topic Tom, still new at this and didn't know where to find this topic again!!! I think i've got it down now though. I'm really not so computer literate
Well now that I the forward and backwards 5 beat, I suppose it's on to the BTB weave??? This behind the back stuff is giving me all kinds of trouble. *I give my fist a good shakin'* Hope everyone's wonderful!
luv,
Space

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
santanatwo - think you got it covered there. Your normal weave is, essentially a 2 point weave. Add another point to go to 3 etc, etc. Not sure if a 5 point is technically possible but I do circular weaves which can pretty much fall under the same heading. I guess you can call it 5 point if you weave to 5 points in a circle before turning back the other way, whether or not you move your feet.

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, so symetrical "point weaves" are even numbered?

In that case a 4 point would be turning back and forth both ways from a forward weave to a backwards on both sides...or vise versa

hold that thought....

I just went out side and did a six point weave. and I kept the balls of my feet planted. I dug up the ground from twisting so much, but my feet stayed planted.

the only problem is that I kept doing a five Beat weave at the 6th points. a five beat is just so ingrained now, that i have trouble keeping the beats down to three

to be honest I am not sure that I am doing right, because sometimes I go right from the 6th point to the 1st point without doing the ones in the middle, it seems that it is the only way to keep the planes the same. but if I go back though all the point the planes get all weird. maybe I just need practice?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

FeydrevaBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
Hi all...

me and my friend have some discution about the Five Beats Weave...

the "normal" weave is 2 + 1

after.. for me the 4B weave i when with one arm you do 2 + 2 and with the other 2 + 1

and the 5B is when with both arms you do 2 + 2

Is that rigth ?????

thx for reply

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
5 beat is 2 + 3.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
3 beat = 2-1, 1-2 (each hand respectively)
4 beat = 3-2, 1-2 or some such combination, because you are doing a 5 beat weave (the extra loop motions) on one side and not the other.. because by doing 2-2 and 2-1 you would end up with your right hand leading to the left, and to the right and then the left leading to the left and the right... you have to keep things even when twirling.. 2-2, 2-2, or 3-2, 2-1.,.. It hard to explain the why and the how.. but its simple math...

5-beat is doign 3-2, 2-3....

anyone who wants to check my math can go back and twirl themselves... if you do the 5 beat weave on one side only you are doing a 4 beat weave by rounding.. because you are doing 5 beat one side and 3 beats the other.. when you add a beat... it adds the beat to both hands... and to go from a 3-5 or a 5-7 or even a 7-9 bt weave then you have to add the beat to both sides... but the common misconsception is that by adding a beat to one side you are only adding one beat.. your not... stop and count it...

by adding a beat you go from doing 2-1 to 3-2 not 2-2.... 2-2 is a very different weave altogether..

a simple way to check all this is just pay attn to your lead hand... if you lead with right going one way and left going the other, then you are doing and odd weave (3bt, 5bt, etc..) if you use the same hand to lead to both sides... then you are doing an even weave... (2bt, 4bt, etc)

hope that confused rant o mine helps...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Rev, that sounds right. Though personally, I learned the 5 beat weave by muttering "over-under-twist-untwist-out" to myself in time with my leading hand until it all worked out.

E pluribus unum, baby.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The best way I can describe doing a 5 beat weave is just do a 3 beat but lead the crossover with the hand you dont normally lead with. Like, do a 3 beat on your right side but let your left hand cross your body before your right. That gives you a 4 beat. If you do it on both sides, you get a 5 beat.

For the longest time, I was reading descriptions saying to wrap your wrists and such but this made me do a 6 beat (which I could never get to work) because I was still trying to lead with my normal hand. 5 beat weave is really cake so long as you can do the 3 beat and can see what the 5 beat looks like.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yes but the confusion comes in there.. by adding one beat you are doing 5 beat not 4 beat... because be changing the ahnd that leads, like say from left to right, the sequence becomes r-l-r-l-r with the poi on the side instead of being l-r-l when doing a 3 beat... by changing the hand that leads into the move you add 2 beats.. one coming in and one going out...

for instance you are doing a 3bt... r-l-r swtich sides l-r-l now add a beat as it swtiches back to the other side r-l-r-l switch sides r-l-r(which is opposite but still 3bt) switch sides l-r-l-r-l ( same motion you made in the 4 beat, only now its the whole 5 beat) and now it repeats the last to steps over and over...

you are doing the 5bt... just on one side only.. and you miss the in beat... you are actually doing the 5 bt...

the only way to stay doing the 4 beat (on one side) is to have constantly switch lead hands... like this: start l-r-l switch sides and add beat r-l-r-l switch r-l-r switch l-r-l-r switch l-r-l

and most people don't do that when they just add one beat to their weave motion... so it kind of confuses on what they are (or aren't) doing..

its all about how you alter your lead...

3bt- l-r-l ~ r-l-r ~ l-r-l ~ r-l-r (switch lead every side)

4 bt- r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l (right leads always) or
l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r (left leading always)

5 bt- l-r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r-l ~ (switch lead with sides as with 3 bt)

and so forth...

4bt (one side only)- l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l (lead hand switches every 2 rotations)

5bt (one side only)- l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r-l ~ r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r-l or
r-l-r ~ l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l-r ~ l-r-l ~ r-l-r-l-r (lead hand changes each time and is opposite of your normal 3 bt)

maybe that will help a little..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown