Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > clarification req'ed - TTN Fountain & BTB fountain?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Guys,I saw a couple of ppl on the Jsut learned a new move thread saying they just got the 'TTN fountain' Thread the Needle Fountain.I did a search, came up zip.as a weave variety fountain means fwd weave -> windmill -> rvs weave how can you do this With TTN?Or do you mean something like;Rvs TTN to Behind The Head (BTH) TTN to fwd TTN?and BTB Fountain???how do you do a BTB windmill?I mean a LOWER fountain maybe, but not a full fountain surely?Josh

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
In all honesty Josh, as Im sure you will appreciate, the best way to describe some of these things is actually *do* them in front of someone. There always seems to be a little confusion as to exactly *what* moves are called what, and seeing as the *doing* option is a tad impractical inter-continent, the best way has got to be by video.Do you think somebody, perhaps even yourself, could act as some sort of adjudicator; ie, accept videos in the post from people who are wondering what the hell to call thier 'new move'..??Also, do you think it would be an idea to have some sort of section on the glossary where you could look up a move and find a 'also known as a ------- move' entry..??As for TTN fountains and weaves, myself and PK are in the throws of learning some stuff which can only be described by those names. We could be wrong, but the way the pois are travelling is still quite peculiar (when executed 'correctly') and must still have a name to them. I will try and see if I can get some of this stuff on video for you if I can have your details..??ps: or wait to see my entry for COL3 wink------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 22 January 2002).]

Kato

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
TTN=thread the needleTTN fountains ar as follows: asuming that you can do a thread the needle andsecondly that you are knowing your poi and can do it spinning in bothdirections (forwards and backwards rotations).Using these 2 moves together is fun quite tricky as me and KATO have beentrying and being successful.After a day or so from learning the TTN forwards i came to stumble accross you can go from a reverse TTN to a forwardsTTN in one swift movement.as you stand with your poi on the right side of your body (face forwards sothat you spinning to one side) not infront as normal. start by either a simple forwards butterflyor go straight in to a forwards TTN once comfortable with this odd anglespinning a TTN as your right poi comes up and over your left..dont let itdrop back on the same side, simply move it accross to your left side following with yourleft arm you can go straight into a reverse TTN (as you left hand will bepossitioned below you right then you are possitioned with in a TTN...Then back over to the other side again... Maytake you several attempts at this but we both found it easy enough not toragg your head over it.. it is called a TTN fountain because you can flow toeach side in any direction as long as when you change sides one arm iscrossed over the other if its not crossed you will do a butterfly midwaythrough the change over. I was told that this was a fountain on the forumunder i learned a new move. but dont hold me on that. me and kato have been working on a 360 TTN fountain going just like a 360weave just keep spinning around and around. it pretty fun. from front to back to front from let to right and so on.I hope this was of some help.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kato - I'll trade ya a video for a video. I might not be as advanced as you (or vice versa) but it would still be interesting to do the tradeemail me pvtautomated_dreaming@hotmail.comand we can sort it out! smilepk - yeh - I think I know the move you mean. turning a TTN is heaps nice I reckon smileStill waiting to hear from the ppl that say they can do a BTB Full fountain smileJosh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
josh i was twisting my mind last night at my local circus skills club trying to get a BTB TTN managed a total of one rotation, man that would be sweet to get 360 turns and to the finale of a BTBTTN :d gonna push it now i got a bug fer it! hahaKato i got cam hooked to my PC so any time u need owt doin giz a shout and i'd be happy to get it sorted fer ya!laters PkPKpkPKsorry lil hyper tonight!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh I get it, it's that butterfly stuff we're talking about on the other thread. I really wouldn't call it a fountain. That's just confusing as the poi are going against each other.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I thought the thread the needle fountain was like a 3-point thread the needle but instead of going back infront you keep it behind you so you do a thread the needle behind your head and then to your other side.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

LibraGOLD Member
47 posts

Posted:
Uhmmm, I think what pk described is the same thing I do and call a TNTfountain. I don't remember where I got that name from, but I think I must have read it on the "I learned a new move" thread. smile NYC, (or anyone) what would you call this move if it's not a fountain? smile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well i just busted out some new shit 5 mins ago...and now i will clarify this TTN fountain..what i described before is part of the fountain and secondly agree with phunky...TTN reverse infront take it over behind you to the left for a forwards then back in front, follow over to the right side spinning forwards again. back in front and up behind the head and do another TTN once behind the head....bang a 4 point TTN fountain..now does it make sense and now can be called a fountain where as before i would agree with previous posts that what i origionally called the TTN fountain is infact like a TTN weave where you can take it 360 degrees in either direction..I'm still working on that BTB TTN i so far managed one full rotation.good luck...PK
Non-Https Image Link

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
i don't get it. : \

^_-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
which part don't you get?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
pk

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
well i understand the beginning. and then you do something where it goes behind you, but then i sort of get lost in trying to visualize the whole thing.

^_-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
to break it down even more-TTN in front of you-turn TTN to the left of you without moving your feet-TTN behind your head-TTN to the right of you-TTN back infront------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
Easier said than done.

^_-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
It looks like a mouthful but really all you need to know is how to turn a TTN. And pretty much the only difficult part is the behind the head TTN, but with some practice you can probably learn it in a good practice session.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm really not big on naming combos. Phunky and the gang discussed this a while back. Both Phunky's and Vain Ego's explanation make sense to me. I'd call it a 4 point TTN if I had to, it really has nothing to do with a fountain.We've spent countless posts defining a fountain and now to use it in a different way than we defined seems counter productive.I never saw a logic to naming complex combos. Once you're that good, do you need to name it?I'm still workin' on that "phunky-monkey" combo but my strings keep crossing. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i totaly agree with NYC there.. is there a need to name combo's?... to the point this is just a 4 point TTN.. or fountain or what ever as long as there is a detail but simple explanation of how to do the move so that others can get the idea of the move explained! as for the behind the head TTN..focus: imagine that you have eyes in the back of your head! helps incredibly if you are looking in a mirror or have access to some thing that you can view your reflection in. This mainly so you can see what your hands are doing..feel the movement of your poi, start with a BTH BF and go from there.The TTN is a little different here as there is not as much movement to slide with, so it feels different as you are doing it, more like passing the strings over your wrists rather than your fore arms...but still basically the same it only took me 10 mins or so to figure the movements out and then a day or two to get better and be able to add that extra point to this combination..Going back to phunkys post.. working on this 4 point combo.. going from infront, to the left, BTH, and to the right.. yeah kinda like a weave/windmill fountain style..BUT to actually get from the left to BTH and down to the right is a little difficult, this is because say if your a threading the needle reverse in front, the other three points are in opposite rotation..so you would be going from forwards to forwards to forwards..get the point!..and you would lose the TTN during the breaks of going behind the head and back down again..which breaks up the 4 point TTN.The 4 point is a thread the needle in 4 points 1:infront 2: to the left 3: behind the head 4: to the right.. these moves are explained from previous posts where to go into each TTN one arm is allways crossed on change over, so you get one continuos TTNI can only do this 4 point so far by going reverse in front forwards to the left, reverse infront, forwards behind the head, reverse in front, forwards to the right.It is also nice to come out of the BTH TTN with a hugh butterfly, i like to start a butterfly and stall it when the are still up above your head then swing them down behind the back.well hope this was of some help to learning BTH TTN gringood luck and god blessPK[This message has been edited by vain-ego pk (edited 31 January 2002).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
oh ya, the phunky-monkey lol smileThis thread should have been called "clarification req'ed - TTN phunky-monkey & BTB phunky-monkey?"------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
*blows dust off thread before typing*
Help! I'm trying to get this TTN fountain, ie forward TTN infront, to the left, behind the head, to the right and back again, but my arms won't do it.

On the left side I go into it right hand above left shoulder, left arm comes round, then right hand under the left shoulder. How do I get my arms in the right position, ie right hand under left hand behind my head? from right hand under left shoulder on the left side?

I might have answered my own question there, but any tips accepted. It's 5am and I've been awake for 18hrs, straight, not the best time to try and make sense of a move

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Huh, I always called what PK described in his first post a same-time butterfly weave But I'll have to try doing the whole four-point combo thing, sounds fun

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by PK:
what i origionally called the TTN fountain is infact like a TTN weave
i agree with both of you

so this post was a whole year ago, can anyone do a decent btb butterfly weave yet (split-time cos they're more like weaves)?
and if anyone comes back and says they can turn around with that, i may cry.

you'll have to excuse me; i'm currently going through one of those 'do i really know lots or am i just starting to break the ice' poi revelations.
there's just so much ice to break...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
you'll have to excuse me; i'm currently going through one of those 'do i really know lots or am i just starting to break the ice' poi revelations.
there's just so much ice to break...

You and me both... I remember when learning five-beat and thinking "right, just the behind the back stuff now and that's pretty much it". Turns out the pretty much it part is a lot bigger than expected, lol

"Moo," said the happy cow.