Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Fountain Definition: VOTE NOW

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
ok, this is beggining to piss me off.I personally dont think fountain is:weave/corkscrew/revweave,more:weave/corsckrew/weave/revcorkscrew/weave (as described on the fountain thread)However I don't really care which one it really is, so I say why dont we vote for what we each think the fountain is, and the one that gets the most votes we define as the fountain. Then decide a name for the other and then all this bollard can cease.So which do you thing fountain is:1.weave/corkscrew/revweave2.weave/corsckrew/weave/revcorkscrew/weaveIncidentally if the fountain is the former then it is quite simple to do the whole motion in five beats instead of three in both directions, you could actually spin a few 360's in one direction and then in the other. Also why not stick a windwill or a low wave in in both directions?Anyway, vote now!

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
my vote...none of the above smilefountain:weave/windmill/rev weaverev weave/windmill weave------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm with Phunky. It's always been that. This is becoming comical. I think you mean windmill, not corkscrew. Corkscrews are horizontal, windmills and weaves are vertical.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
check out this link, from what i understand this guy is sort of doing the fountain about 3/4 of the way through the video... just wondering if that was ithttps://www.and-the-world-is-next.de/poi/home%20e.htm go to the video section and it is in the top right corner....

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep, same here.Weave -> Windmill -> Rev. Weave -> Windmill -> Weave.Errrrr, so it's just Ithaca that thinks different methinks wink------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire[This message has been edited by Durbs (edited 12 November 2001).]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lets not be mean now.If were going to vote on anything though, i think we should stop calling a weave >> windmill >> rev weave combination a fountain. Just totally ban the word altogether. I think i'd be happier taking a little longer to type out the combo than repeatedly explaining what a fountain is.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I don't think were going to make the interest in "fountains" go away. After a quick search I found that there were 57 active threads with the word fountain in it with 14 of them with it in the title. Clearly this is a topic of sparkly poi proportions and can't simply be swept under the rug.Let's just resolve that a fountain is weave>windmill>revweave according to HoP. If you want to call it something different, that's fine. Just like if you want to call me Chuck that's fine too, it's just not my name.I don't think that any other combo has surfaced as an issue. I'm comfortable having the fountain as the only nameable combo as it is useful for newbies until they realize the futility of naming combos. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I heard it called a fountain from an english backpacker who doesnt know this site ... he showed us the weave >> windmill >>rev weaveso im with phunky too, how many votes does that make it?5?------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
OK, so i wrote corkscrew instead of windmill, never mind.OK, so generally people seem to thing that fountain is just weave/windmill/revweave. OK, so that isn't even my definition of a move ffs, its just two different moves spliced together. Jesus, most people are doing that before they are walking, this is fing ridiculous. Its not as though a five beat fountain would be difficult...Which brings us to the matter of naming the move that I thought was fountain, and is incidentally about fifteen times harder than the now official fountain, any ideas?[This message has been edited by Ithaca (edited 15 November 2001).]

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ya, thats what i thought when i learned what a fountain was too... "I've been f**king doing this forever!"what you named is not a move so it doesnt need really need naming. The fountain is a special case because its so ingrained in everyones head already.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey,hey, hey!!!!!The one with the corkscrew has already been named cause when I brought it up i nanother thread I was told we can call it a Sprinkler!!!!! And I really like that! ::stomping foot and crossing arms over chest:: winkAnd to add a bit of dimension, turn your body 360 when you hit the corkscrew part.So, it would be weave=>corkscrew w/360 body turn => rev weave => reverse your 360 body turn w/ corkscrew => weaveAlso nice is to do a forward Sprinkler with a reverse Fountain...ie: if you start on the left...go left to right in Sprinkler but then go right to left in Fountain. You can also add a body turn to your windmill to give the move a bit of symmetry.Oh.. and yeah... weave => windmill => rev weave and back again is a fountain in my book!Does that make 6 or 7 votes?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I vote fountain is weave=>windmill=>rev weaveIs this a fountain???:weave=>rev weave=>windmill=>weave???CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
err...weave >> (rev weave >> windmill >> weave)yes that is a fountain minus the move before.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think we should just bannish the word "fountain", after all, there's no water, and I'm so thirsty....

fountain...hence forth, thou art banished

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by phunky:
fountain:

weave/windmill/rev weave
rev weave/windmill weave

Yupp.....agree with that....But dont think the order is to important...

And dont forget the butterfly fountains witch technically is the same thing....Instead of weaves you have Butterflys....

I like Fire.. :)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
throws a tiny, almost unnoticable spanner into the gigantic works that are this discussion...

methinks hell may well freeze over before we get complete agreement on this one.

i go with the clubswinging definition of a fountain meself but consider there to be a whole bunch of them now with poi (regular fountain, reverse fountain, buzzsaw fountain, butterfly fountain and so on).

incidentally nyc - isn't a waistwrap another named combo...? bit more complex than the fountain too
to add further to the debate, the gandini's call waistwraps low fountains

and here (if you're not bored enough already ) is a selection of my previous rantings on the subject:

fountain video (ignore the numbers though )
fountains and waistwraps
is the fountain a move 'family'?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Forget fountains! The real question is "Why the hell would Dantana bump this thread from a YEAR AND A HALF AGO?!"

Geez...

And coleman, when I learn how to do a waist wrap I'll let you know.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nyc - when are you coming to london...? a good ol' waistwrap workshop with bam and hels may well be in order soon...
want us to wait for ya?

as for bumping this thread, fountains have been discussed since (by many including myself) and currently there are open discussions on both butterfly fountains and isolated fountains.
i think dan wanted to point out the futility of trying to pin down the 100 or so definitions of what we consider a fountain to be these days by bumping a thread with similar arguments to those going on right now that was written ages ago.

and it just goes to show cos i blatently don't agree with the definitions above (i would call that a 'cross-follow to reverse cross-follow with windmill').

best not to keep on about it though

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I honestly don't know how I ran into this thread

maybe I was feeling spunky?!?!?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
hmm...foun·tain ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fountn)
n.

An artificially created jet or stream of water.
A structure, often decorative, from which a jet or stream of water issues.
A spring, especially the source of a stream.
A reservoir or chamber containing a supply of liquid that can be siphoned off as needed.
A soda fountain.
A drinking fountain.
A point of origin or dissemination; a source: the library, a fountain of information.

intr. & tr.v. foun·tained, foun·tain·ing, foun·tains
To flow or cause to flow like a fountain .
ok...so i was just bored and wanted to say something about fountains without really saying anything ....so here ya go

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just to be awkward

never thought of a fountai as a move, but as a family of moves, where the poi make lots of smaller circles within one big circle.

bad exp.?

thought so

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
no, actually I think that is a great explanation, the only one that truely makes sence. I recently figured out what a fountain was (from watching ghost in the woods (PK)) and that is what I saw. A bunch of small circles in a larger circle.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, can’t resist. The fountain is an “old skool” club swinger move, so the combinations are well documented. Check the first post in the club swinger thread for a link to an “old skool” description.

It’s not a difficult move to learn, and most people tend to discover it without knowing what it’s called. So, while it’s true to say that the fountain is a big circle, made up of little circles, it’s really the sequence of body movements (fwd to rev cross and follows; low, high and btb) that make it functional. I see it as a huge frame, that you can hang a lot of other moves off, and hey, it looks pretty too

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
awkaward? bluecat - you ignoring my posts completely nowdays or what...?

thought so

[edit for links that actually work]

[ 13. May 2003, 21:32: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

phyrepsyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
weave/corsckrew/weave/revcorkscrew/weave
no!!
corkscrews???dont you have to be in a horizontal plane??or floor??
i think a fountain is strictly a wall plane!!

i think this is more like it in my eyes?? am i wrong??
-------- -----------
weave // split time chase the sun // weave // chase the moon. ------fountain??

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Quite an impressive bump right there.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
ok, so been lurking on this thread for some time now. I'm happy that a fountain is weave-windmill-rev weave and thats cool. But the question i have is what then is weave-revweave-windmill-weave. just some weird variation....?

hmmm..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er... well in simplistic terms, keeping it all wallplane, weave -> windmill -> rev-weave (repeat) is an anti-spun fountain...

Rev-weave -> windmill -> weave being with spin..

(In my mind anyway...)

I still dispute there's a full windmill in a fountain though

*runs*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
There's no windmills in a fountain. Only the illusion of windmills... wink

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
There are no droids in a windmill.

Ive stopped getting hung up on names of moves.
I liked Durbs move description. Splittime swishy swashy.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: