Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > One handed split time butterfly + NEW MOVE!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
...is very possible, but tends to sort of, well, droop - kind of go into the horizontal plane. Is there any way to stop this?and can you go from 1hd normal to 1hd split time?and can anyone get two butterflies going at the same time? I think i could if someone handed me the fourth poi, but i havent got anyone to try with. Of course the extension of this is a 4 poi routine...ohh i just thought while writing this post... gotta edit the subject... ok, this is going to be SO fucking hard that its impossible, but imagine... a butterfly in each hand, in alternate timing, i.e. left down right down left down.. etc.... THEN DOING A WEAVE WITH IT... it is technically possible, as they would never collide, as its possible to do a weave with one poi going forward and one poi going back, but if anyone can pull it off, I'll marry them and have their babies...it would look so fucking amazing... go try! now! this is your new project all you 5million bt btb kamikaze flip weavers! and bring us a video!first start with two butterflies same time, then do crosses... then try a figure of eight. If you can get that you should be able to do a... double butterfly weave. Can i name this that? please? oh GO ON... it's a sensible name...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Could you explain that a little better?I understand everything up until the weave the buttefly thing. 2 words that really shouldn't go together. I know you can cross your hands when doing a butterfly (essentially a figure 8). Or do you just mean crossing your hands with one hand on top. Uncrossing them and cross them again with the other hand on top. If you mean this well... the baby's name will be phunky jr. smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Wait, reread your post. What you mean is doing a forward weave and a reverse weave infront of you at the same time?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Essentially, yes, doing a forward and backward weave at the same time. I think it should work, even if difficult. the only thing would be, when on the second and third beats, you would have to lift the outer hand higher up to avoid the incoming rvs poi from hitting it... you might need shorter poi or something.a 2 beat double butterfly weave should definitely be possible though. I wish i could go out and try this! I need to get the double butterfly down stable first, but can hardly poi at all because i tore a ligament in my shoulder a week or so ago :P

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Hey blackbird thar forward and backward weave is a move that my groupe call the anti-doubledutch

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
oh come on now you're just taking the piss...ok, well, can any of you do it?and can you give us a video? I wanna see it, not because i don't believe you but because i just wanna see it!or do you mean with two poi, forward in one hand and back in the other? because thats definitely not that bad... looks wierd smile

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
two butterflys at one time is very possible. i've seen it done. i was at this polynesian show and a hula girl with poi balls did a butterfly into a 1h butterfly then took a third ball out of her belt and spun that and then alternated them (the butterfly behind her head then in front again. then the single ball behind the head and back to the front etc)then she stopped the single one and pulled out another ball from her belt and started another 1h butterfly. so she had two 1h butterflies going at once, then proceeded into alternating those behind her head and back to the front.i was amazed and have been trying to figure out how to start a 1h butterfly from a stand still with on hand while the other hand is already doing a butterfly.insane i tell ya.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Girl From MarsPosts: 110From: Camillus, NY, USAhmm...you should be able to do more than that with 2 butterflies though... how about a double butterfly TTN?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Further to the skill of the polynesians and the maoris, I was taught that one handed start by a maori girl. It's all in how you hold it to start. Overlay the handles horizontally in your hand so one comes out near your little finger and one comes out near your forefinger, then it's sharp snap of the wrist anti clockwise so that they immediately spin in opposite directions, and start 'bouncing'. Problems come into it with weight, the islanders use really light poi. I was also told that it's important to maintain speed from the outset. My advice is to find a maori to teach you!

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Ah, of course, I will just pop down to the local Maori hangout and get someone to show me winkI have been asking everyone I meet from NZ if they've heard of poi, do they know any moves, etc. and so far all I've got is a lot of bewildered looks... the closest I ever got was someone who was half Maori who had done 'poi-poi' with short strings at school and could butterfly...Ah well. I guess I'll just have to stick to teaching myself grin

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
We have no islanders out here in ohio. However I did just run into a guy that figured out how to start a 1-hb with one hand. He slowly threw them up so that they sperated in mid-air then gave a quick downward snap (maybe it should be upward) when they were nearly apart. He wasn't able to get it to work on both hands. However he gave me the missing bit I've been lookin for since I started poi. I went home and gave it my all for like 4 hours. Only once did I ever get it work and feel right. All the other times I snapped it down at the wrong time and they just collided. However while messin around with it I did manage to snap into a 1hb with a leg wrap. I haven't been able to do it since. It was mostly just luck I kicked my leg into the cycle at the perfect second and it only cought the trailing poi. Since I got the missin peice I tried 4 chains on fire with nearly no practice. smile Oh a flaming 4 chain corkscrew is a butifuel thing. Managed to keep the weave apart for the most part. However I didn't even try and get them into a butterfly. I'm gonna take 4 strings the the local techno bar this weekend and have at it for 6 or 7 hours. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wow, I wish I could do the whole glowstick on string thing. But all I can do is a figure-eight while holding glowsticks, and I'm trying to do liquid. I'm just wondering how i can vary my routine instead of just doing the figure eight and basic things like that. I'd like to know how I can move into other cool stuff from the basic figure eight. How do I make it go behind my head, and still make it look good? I know these are a bunch of questions, and you're probably thinking "go to a rave" but I'm 14 and I'm short, and I have parents, so there is no way that I'm going to get to go for another year at least. Thanks.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Fireprincess...poipoi is the traditional Maori art, the poi as we know it is very very different but has similar roots.I get the feeling the polynesian dance you are talking about was also with light pois (poi=ball in Maori) and short lightweight strings.Asking them about longstring/heavy poi moves will quite likely get strange looks too, traditionally wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?