Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

its inspired by the japanese guy off COL5, but a bit more random.

Firebandit, with the sunset silhouette? Those semi-isolation transitions were friggin amazing.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
behind the back reverse weave! Wh00t wh00t! I finally have it down pat. My thing was i couldnt get my hands in sync. So i weighted down a tube sock(sock poi made easy)and held it in both hands and just swung it once on either side so I knew how it would feel and such. Anyway. Go me ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

chaseSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
My roommate has started spinning with his bare feet. I told him I wanted to see a new move after being away for the weekend. It's quite hilarious, and pretty hard. we lay on our back and hook the loops on our toes - you just have to deal with toe sweat, lol. i don't know if anyone has ever tried this before. hopefully it works better for everyone then it has for me yet.

...it's safe to say that relationships inspired by the art of poi are not necessarily 'poi'fect...!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
lots of moves like weaves and hyperloops and inverted weaves and stalls and stuff while lying on my back a little bit ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
4 and 6 beat butterfly weaves! ubbrollsmile Thanks Dut (the butterfly prodigy) for showing me those in Knoxville.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

CanadainK9newbie
4 posts

Posted:
So. Yesterday I was waiting for my train out of Barcelona getting some good work done on the old btb butterfly. My first btb move - yeah!

However... as I was getting into it I heard a noise behind me, and looked back to see a guy rifling through my pack! The bastard must have had some serious salt - I was in the middle of a square in broad daylight. I was shocked, then mad as hell. He was shocked, then obviously scared. I yelled quite a lot (conveniently forgetting my spanish for the occation). He looked sheepish and avoided eye contact, and eagerly ran away when I gave him an oportunity.

Leason 1: watch your [censored].
Leason 2: btb stuff rocks!
Leason 3: Yelling at scumbags really does work.

Ah well. On to BTB weave!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
A kind of weave thing where instead of the planes being like this
|o|
you open it out like this
|
o
|
so you have clockwise on the left and anti clockwise on the right and you don't change direction so much as go kind of atomic for the transitions.
And airwraps that change direction mid wrap without slowing or stopping basicly by airwapping the transition above.
Suicide weave? you kind of let go of the string as one poi is going up under the other arm and then catch it again above it, it's like a micro throw, and you can keep doing it as each time you do it it resets your hands to where they were before you started.
Bunch of atom stuff just by spinning atoms slowly and randomly and watching where they go. pretty much any atom tangle comes out if you turn or at least swap the positions of your hands (crossed or uncrossed, leading or trailing, rather than position in space) and remember how many tangles there are.

It really is amazing how quick you learn after taking a break from poi...

--ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Are you talking about a figure of 8 weave? So you keep the crossover point in front of you but move each wheel plane round so it's all in the wall plane?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
single poi but two handed contact weave, not clean enough to love yet but soon......

two handed one poi propellors a week or two ago, very usful to extend arm changes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
5 or 6 beat corkscrew (not sure which, but it's definitely more than 4)

also lots of spirals, isolations, wraps. nothing looks really clean yet, but it will ubbrollsmile

.... some day.... smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
yay, 5bt reverse weave at last to complement the 5bt forward weave of a week ago. Also, forward 5bt to backward 5bt transitions and vice versa, up to (semi)continuous transitions. Now to figure out how to change one poi direction for butterfly weaves (TTN to start yeah?)

jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Are you talking about a figure of 8 weave? So you keep the crossover point in front of you but move each wheel plane round so it's all in the wall plane?

yes.

--ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ah cool, thanks smile

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Ah cool, thanks smile

Where's The CAT! eek

and err..... BHB Butteryfly Waist wrap.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that avatar is *waaaaaaay* cooler spiralx (but you knew i thought that).
someone else round here has the cat now (immortal angel i think) and hels bells had it for a good while way back when hop first got avatars.

i want x's current one on a t-shirt smile

Written by: tenticle

Suicide weave? you kind of let go of the string as one poi is going up under the other arm and then catch it again above it, it's like a micro throw, and you can keep doing it as each time you do it it resets your hands to where they were before you started.

badass smile
[Old link].

that wallplane madness sounds really cool tenticle.
any chance of full description in poi moves (or a video biggrin)?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
seriously old skool link... i even remember some of those people. And i'll attempt a description of the wall plane thing when i can find a way to draw a picture of it that isn't just a mess. Basicly though, if you imagine an infinity sign in front of you, the poi do two circles on the crossed side of the infinity and one on the same side. You could do it if at the point the poi is traveling down and the string is parallel to the ground, the poi string could instantly swap and be pointing in the opposite direction, connected to your hand at the centre of the other part of the infinity. obviously you cant do that, so you let the poi travel so that at the crossover point on the infinity sign both your hand and the poi head are at the crossover, and the poi is pointing straight ahead, then move your hand to the other centre. it's quite hard not to stall one poi at first, but force the stall to be a circle in corkscrew plane and then it works... Exagerate different parts and you get some nicely twisted variations, like the two circles on the crossed side are vertical, the one circle on the same side is horizontal. like this -o.
just open up a weave and spin slow and a bit iso, quarter time helps, you'll soon get it.

HTH,

--ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Cole - indeed, I'd love a t-shirt with that guy as well! Have you seen the official government document about why they chose it?

https://www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/pdf/matches2.pdf

Interesting reading smile

Tenticle - there's a whole world of stuff here I've been thinking about for a while involving two centres of rotation. It's like the next step on from atoms if you think about the angle between the planes...

| | Normal
/\ Atoms
-- Flat

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
btb waistwrap ubbrollsmile

& another isolated weavy thingy

different to the isolated weavy thingy i've already been doing though...

isolated buzzsaw weave perhaps...?

weavesmiley

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
under the leggy isolated weavy thing..hehe not too sure what it is..and another mysterious isolated waeve five beat thingy...hmmm...

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Atacan(aka muaddip)SILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
4 beat TTN starting btb over the shoulder (?). It is regular 4 beat TTN but you start your TTN from over the shoulder. So right poi spins over left should BTB and from there going forward makes the rest of the 4 beat TTN. Left retreats back and makes a spin over the right shoulder BTB going forward does the rest of the 4 beat TTN smile.

cheers,

P.S:It is a very simple idea but haven't seen any movies with this so far smile.

_ __ _
atacan

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
silly hyperloop combo. biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
split-time ttn, huggie-things, weird buzz-saws, AND AND AND thankyou bluecat biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Inside turns, inside buzzsaw waist wraps.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
as of last week:
butterfly outside tangle, butterfly outside tangling 4-beat turn;

as of last night:
butterfly inside hyperloops, split time butterfly outside tangle,
buzzsaw handcuffs!!, 'inside butterfly' 'double wrist wraps' (buzzsaw handcuffs, but bfly!!);
( ^^ i'm going to try to look up threads on this schtuff, i think you guys are holding out on me)

-- dut

Pikey PhilGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
NINE BEAT WEAVE

im very pleased smile

Keep it Pikey

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
How do you get 9 beats without turning, can't figure it out for the life of me.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
ok--now i really do have the btb weave! really! i do! i like going from that into a reverse split-time flower.

also have managed a ceiling-plane ttn, which is really fun and quite possibly my new favorite move (of the moment wink ). aside from all variations of flowers ubblove

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Pikey PhilGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hi spherculist,
I do a 7 beat weave then add a wrap round my wrists on each side,
I've now almost perfected an 11 beat weave with the same method only 2 wraps.

Are you around in Brighton over Easter?
Fancy meeting up for a session on the beach?

Keep it Pikey

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Pikey phil- you don't need those wraps in there for a nine...

butterfly hyperloops. finally.
figure 8 thing in floor plane, and a kind of cross between this and the weave one, and a five beat version.
various variations on microthrow weaves where you throw around other body parts than the wrist (such as the leg), and some where you pretty much only hold the poi string for half of any circle, and you are always throwing one or the other but not both or neither, but the poi follow the same path as they would for whatever move it is you want to do without holding on.
propellor to throw to opposite propellor on the other wrist and pass the other poi to the other hand and do the figure 8 change direction transition at the same time. (once. and it'll never work again, i betcha)
quarter time iso atom weave type thing.
quarter time iso 3bt weave with the middle of the strings always touching just enough to make them not straight. and some other quarter time iso stuff. quarter time seems easier than split time some how...

--ben

Page: ......