Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Split-time seducing butterfly...

Login/Join to Participate

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
This is my favourite move - it works best if you are swinging in parties, nightclubs etc i only tried it with glowsticks but i bet it will work better with fire winkBasically you begin by swinging forwards (split time) at your sides and dancing with the music; then you look around and move slowly towards the girl/guy you fancy most! smile When you are close enough (they'll definitely notice you), you must smile and continue swinging - they usually smile back and stare - they usually want to ask something about Poi or just say something nice ; when this happens instead of stop swinging your Poi and move to him/her to talk what you basically do is continue spinning but make sure that there is a lot of space between the two Poi (you have to stretch your arms a bit)...you then start moving slowly towards him/her; it's important to make them feel that they are safe, so what you basically do is swing to their sides and continue moving until you are standing next to them and start talking to them while spinning at the sides; and now the tricky part - you can ask them to go out with you the next day or for their phone number or just to dance with you but just before you do that you bring the Poi together and switch to a split-time butterfly behind his/her back, in this way making it impossible for them to leave (you are sort of embracing them and doing the butterfly behind them)...it's important to continue smiling and make a joke about it or something so that they feel confortable; the great thing about this move is that once they turn around they see the Poi spinning like hell around them and they instinctively turn back facing you and move closer to you (so that they are as far away from the Poi as possible) - at this point you can even kiss them if you are really confident it's going well, or just insist that they go out with you the next day before you let them go free!!! wink it works amazingly well especially if you are a confident person and can make a conversation while doing the split-time butterfly (which is not so difficult)... well for the records i must add that when i showed the move to my ex-gf she preferred to get on the floor and try to leave by passing under my legs so be prepared for that counter-move; when i stopped her from passing under me, she basically defied certain death smile and just got on the floor and tried to pass through the swinging poi; at this point i made the mistake of raising one poi up so that she could pass unharmed but this is a sign of weakness, so i suggest that you continue spinning faster so that you let them now that if they leave they'll get it on the head - you can even throw in kicks and knees to prevent them from leaving without giving you their phone number grinwell enjoy the move, i hope it helps someone, if you need any help with it write back and i'll be happy to explain...oh and make sure that you can kiss and continue spinning at the same time smile , good luck,Simos

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Nice technique simos ... but ...I was wondering if you met another poi'er .. you spin high and they go low .. then try spinning the butterfly behind each others back ... getting untangled might be a bit more interesting though .. the timeing for getting out of it would need to be pretty good I think ... but I guess you could just stop and snog smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
haha grin - i've never thought of that i suppose; i might give it a try if i ever meet a female Poier smile - although i might be in trouble when i suggest doing the butterfly behind each other's back if she is reading this message smile - you have no idea how much those knees hurt Dean!!! grinhappy swinging,Simos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Simos,You know, I just described this very move over on the gen board for moves to do with two people, and getting out of it isn't so hard Dean. The one thing I will warn both of you of is this, if some guy tried that on me and I wasn't interested in anything but the fire...a sure way out is a hard stomp to the toe or shin, or a knee up. It'll effect your swinging and leave a gap for escape.Kissing while swinging isn't hard as long as it isn't involved. Though I bet kissing like in the movies would be funny....leaning into the kiss, one leg up behind you on tip toes on the other foot and swinging all at the same time....oh the image...oh the hilarity.I'll stick to non-swinging seduction...I'm a girl in a male dominated country...I can do that! tongue However, best of luck to you!!!!And you know...if you catch the girl on fire...just think of all the quality hours you can spend getting to know one another at the emergency room!Have fun...don't do anything I wouldn't do!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Jo

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Pele - thanx for the advise; i think the way things are going in my life lately with women it's better for me to get a set of beaming poi and apply Jo's skull-crashing move, only without the mouth-to-mouth and the CRP afterwards, so that i don't end up going insane...well Pele i think no girl would knee someone who is swinging fire around her; on the other hand if i were a woman in that situation i would gently persuade me to put down the poi and leave with her and knee me in the balls as soon as i put the poi down; the moral here is never to put your Poi down of course grin happy swinging,Simos

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
If you meet another person doing poi, get them to do a horizontal butterfly above their head and keep good timing (best for the tallest person to do this). Start doing standard butterfly yourself so you fit in with their timing. You want yours to cross at the top just before theirs do. Do quite a wide butterfly and lurch forward at them so you are doing butterfly behind their back. At the same time their hands go round your neck (hopefully not the poi as well or else cpr may be in order) and they should bring the pi down to a butterfly behind your back. They need to do this fast though to avoid tangling. It's not an easy move but it does work. Then neither of you can escape ;-)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Simos, Let me know how Jo's moves are working for you...maybe then I will try them myself.Something about me intimidates men....could it be my Amazon like height or the firey toys I use or the black leather? Hmmm....prolly...oh well...at least I'll have my poi to keep me warm!!!!!Hmmmmmm.....bash up side the head. You know what if you wait until they turn around and "accidentally" set the person on fire? Then you can extinguish her/him by saying that you are a professional with fire so you know exactly how to handle such situations. They will be sooooooo grateful they won't realise what...er...who hit them!!! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
here's an idea..... ask her out first and if she says no...BAM! use jo's move

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
yeah i guess that's why people say : 'he can't take no for an answer' grin - but i think i'll ask her out while swinging a set of beaming poi at my side - i get the feeling she'll say YES without even thinking about it...happy swinging,Simos

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Here's a much simpler (almost emarassingly easy), less dangerous way to get someone else interested using firestaff...While doing fire, just chat about their night and how things are going with them but stare intently at their eyes. If not already, do a lazy circle in front of you and then apologize, tell them that you can see the flames spinning around inside their pupils (best done form a long way off).If they believe you or not, ask them to come up really close (i often explain that if I drop the staff will go left or right, and directly in front of me is the safest place). Then ask them to look into your eyes, they will see the huge flames going around and around and the glinting combined with the motion is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.It might look silly in my eyes, but everyone I've done it too goes all quiet or giggly straight away.For busking, I tend to get couples to look into each others eyes, and then tell the guy he's got another 2 years, this got me a $20 tip once.If I wasn't engaged, it might be getting me a lot more. But she's the prettiest and sweetest of anyone anyway...------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
One very simple and surprisingly effective move (with fire) is to walk towards someone while doing the basic forward spin. The important thing here is to make complete and total eye contact the person even before you start walking towards them. So long as they are smiling, keep walking closer, but be prepared to back off if necessary. In most cases you can meet face to face, and often steal a kiss in the process. ;-)If you are feeling particularly comfortable, you can even go into the weave or butterfly arround the person.I was doing this with my 4-wick poi in NYC a few weeks back and actually had several people motion for me to come over to them once they saw what I was doing. ;-)-p.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
with being and girl and all, i think that spinning fire on its own creates its own sex appeal except i get the "holy shit she must be one of the untouchables" i so hope im not the only one.. other girls dont like me much.. *l*------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I realy though I was sick in the head, but now, after reading this...well what I mean is, I am calling you ALL sick wink, and I think I might be close to normal, NOT! .) How about these "moves for the ladies"...? {{{Registered trademake}}} heh ehe heh ehe1. Have you seen belly dancers? while doing a windmill, rotate your hips in the same or opposite direction (kind of like you were using a hoola hoop. can you also do it while turning 360 degrees? haven't tried that variation yet...2. do a butterfly, then bend back slightly and arch your back, while still doing the butterfly (I use finger loops) start rubbing you nipples with your fingertips... while doing a figure 8 in the verticle plane with your hips (allong with an occational hip thrust and jiggle and bounce)3. do regular butterfly then as you bring it behind your head thrust your hips forward and vise versa.4. do a low mexican wave and every time a poi passes in front of your body, do a pelvic thrust. up and down pelvic bounce also works.5. start with an alternating butterfly then bring the right poi behind you (low) as you turn right 90 degrees (you will now be swinging one poi forward and one reverse) you will be standing faceing to the right of "start") now put in a nice pelvic thrust and return to start, then do it the other direction and keep alternating sides (make sure you have plenty of spinnal wave, and keep loose)I don't realy know if any of these work, since I am still single frown and I don't do them publicly very often. Actually between two of my girl---friends... (NOT "girlfriends"), one gets a kick out of these and the other acts dicusted and acts like she is ignoring me (the whole pelvic thrust thing iritates her) (who knows though.....?) WOMEN! let me know if any of you sexxxy biznitches smile wink .)think these moves are cool...or erotic or whatever.Daniel

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I hear where you're coming from Sorcha... (is that name from that chick in Willow?)erm..I honestly haven't seen a guy do the pelvic thrust thing without being stupid with it (like just to get a laugh).. I've seen girls do it all the time though... it seems ye olde belly dancing is a stock standard of girl twirling in my extensive fire twirling observation experience. Of course some do it well and some do it... erm not as well.Personally when I had not ever twirled before and I had ppl coming up to me doing butterflies and that around me it just scared the crap out of me and made me knee them in the groin for making me go 'aahhh!' (this is with fire of course) .. I guess I am a very anti-control freak ..especially when I do not trust whoever is doing it to me.I agree twirling does have enough sex appeal already... although I guess twirling in what could be technically classified as 'underwear' always helps eh? Kind of being on a par with a stripper (who twirls fire) .. 'course guys are gonna luv ya.. (man she's showing so much skin!) .. so very predictable wink (Not all of the guys.. just.. a fair damn chunk of em).. I reckon if you can make a person's jaw drop while wearing what your grandmother would classify as 'fully clothed' then your on the right path smile (and no I'm not anti-costume or anti-skin-flaunting wink )

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King