Forums > Social Chat > The OFFICIAL Home of Poi Rollcall

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
With the continuing influx of new people (Big firey welcome to you all!) I guess it makes a lot of sense for us to have an official "getting to know you" type thread. smile Elders and Newbies alike, enter your details here and feel free to use/modify/disregard the format below:Name: flash fire (Sarah)Sex: female (remember, all possible smart responses to this question have already been done!)Age: 23Location: Sydney AustraliaURL: https://wickeffect.cjb.net/Toys:
all fire staff/double staff/double crossesBeen twirling for: about 4 yearsOccupation: corporate lackieHobbies other than obvious: reading, skiing, travelling, doofing, cruising in my Jeep!Favourite Colour: red Most viewed Movie: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or The Doors.Favourite Quote/Saying: an ye harm none do as thou wilt.Best twirling related moment in life so far: I will have to think long and hard to answer.So, post away kiddies! and feel free to occasionally bump this thread to keep it at the top.flash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 29 June 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Name: John Mitchel Aka, Knagi-Mud HandleSex: Male slightly over weight but it doesn't stop me from takin my shirt off and enjoying the fire.Age: 21Location: Brunswick OhioURL: Waiting on some nice pics and a couple of vidsToys: Ahh this is something I love to talk about I'm so proud of the kit I've put together I've got two arm length chainsone of them is a set of Fireflys from here the other is home made I can combine them, Towel wicks,steel wool wicks and kevlar are always with me, I also have a homemade 5 foot staff with kevlar and some LED heads for my poi, Hehe A bottle of 151 is also included in my set. Not to meantion the saftey eq. I've also recently added some eating torches for trailing and liquid dancing with.Time: I have 6 months on the chains now and about 3 or 4 weeks on the staff. I have a totaly balls out style to both I've had the staff about 30 feet up once.Occupation: Pizza driver!Hobbies: Scuba Diving, Going out Boating and Fishing, Spinning has consumed almost all my free time.Favourite Colour: Blue and Black.Favourite Quote/Saying: Check out my SigBest twirling related moment: The flowing catch of my staff comming down from 30 feet up.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Name : AxisFrom : Bristol ukBeen into circus stuff 8 yearsPerforming full time 3 yearsTrained with cosmos jugglers and then at Circomedia (one year RSA Diploma Circus Arts + Physical Theatre)Speciality :glowsticksBest Experience : Choreographing and starring in 2 million pound car launch Dubai, with 12 of best uk performers (skate naked, heir of insanity, Heliosphere etc) on enormous perpose built castle for show, loads of pyros etc.Also full moon party Had Rin, Thailand (just 4 a laff)Also into : NLP & Hypnosis 3d photography Playing musical Saw Writing music Making kick ass props MasksWicked!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Name: PeterSex: MaleAge: 33Location: Malden, MA (about 15 min north of Boston)URL: Toys: Glow sticks, my computers, Rattan Staff Been twirling for: About a month...Totally addicted after my first try.Occupation: Customer Service / tech supportHobbies other than obvious: Video games, Collecting music and anything having to do with paganismFavorite Color: silver (And I removed the U from color. I speak American.Most viewed Movie: The Princess Bride, LabyrinthFavorite Book: Snow Crash By Neal StephensonFavorite Music: Basically anything but country.Favorite Animal: As a pet dogs. As a wild animal, RaccoonsFavorite Quote/Saying: "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learn to feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, the stronger can be our spirit."--- Robert RodaleBest twirling related moment in life so far: Not smacking myself in the head on a constant basis

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

MogliGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
Name: Mogli (Stephen-pronounced Stefen)Age: 21Location: Sydney, at home now, but have been travelling for the last 18 months and about to leave for Europe again, then Canada.Email:mogli_stray@hotmail.comToy: Fire poi at the moment, but would love to learn new thingsHow long have I been twirling: 2 monthsOccupation: anything tha'll get me to the next destination, usually in hospitality though.Other hobbies: travelling, snowboarding, photography, anything outdoorsie really.Favourite saying: Live life don't just exist!Best Poi moment: every time I pick them upCheers------------------Live life, don't just exist.

Live life, don't just exist.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
name: Daniel Tylerage:24occupation: Chemisty lab teachereducation: Batchlor of Science, Biologygoals in life: #1 be in a Jackie Chan movie, even if all I can say is, "see that guy Jackie just beat up? That was me!"#2 learn the turning 360 btb weave (like Jo Derry, you GO boy!!!)hobbies: Painting/drawing mountains and trees. Playing music on guitar, piano and flute. Making cool stuff in my shop. Chillin, grindin and nuggs. Kung fu.favorite quotes:"happiness is a warm barrel" -My dad"This is my tactical partner Dan, he's the Iotola of rockin rola" -Greg"Show no mercy, men!" -toy souljers "No! Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."-Yoda"feel the chi" -mike d (black belt)"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum" -Duke Nukem

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
Name: strawberryfire sex:femaleage:22occupation: mother, soon to be nursetoys: a broom stick, very shortly going to be turned in to the real thing most thankful for: friends who own the real thingfav movie: grease (the essentual chick flick)most in need of : teachers for spelling and all things fireryaim in life: to get through it smiling and having fun!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
bumping so that all our new visitors/members can add their details! smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Name ~ laurenSex ~ FemaleAge ~ 17Toys ~ single staff, double staff, poiHobbies that dont include fire ~ making and recording music, travelling, raving etcFavorite colour ~ rainbowHow long ~ been twirling for about a yearFavorite fire destination ~ St Kilda, melbourne,Favorite quote ~ if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all - thumper (movie - bambi)Residing in ~ queensland, Australia,greatest achievement ~ remaining child - like for 17 yearsbright blessings!! grin

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
NAME: Ernie aka Tha JedimastahSex: maleHobbies: Percussion, cooking, biking, rollerblading, hacky sack, inventing, martial arts, writing, too many to list.Occupation: Cook at the Outback steakhouseLikes: Girls that POI!!!Dislikes: War, ignorancetoys: Quarter staff, Sword (dual swords), ropedart, tri-sec staff, nunchacu, Chains, etccolor: a lack thereof (in other words black)Favorite movie: Rush Hour 2Favorite Quote: "It cost $32,000 a year to keep a man in prison. It takes $32,000 a year to ceep a man in Harvard. Why not put a wall around Harvard?" CosbyWhy are all of the girls so far away?[This message has been edited by jedimastah (edited 05 October 2001).]

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Name: Jangla (James)Sex: Male Age: 25Location: Oxford UKURL: https://www.last-trance.co.ukToys:
Poi (only practise and glow sticks at the moment!)Been twirling for: 1 weekOccupation: software developer and DJHobbies other than obvious: reading, making and playing tunes, clubbin' it!Favourite Colour: UVMost viewed Movie: The Cube.Favourite Quote/Saying: we are all o fus in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.Best twirling related moment in life so far: Only just got them - give us a chance! Was a good feeling getting the glow sticks on for the first time and pulling off the 3 beat weave!

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

FireDragonmember
4 posts

Posted:
Name: FireDragon (Itai)Sex: MaleAge: 24Location: Originally Jerusalem,Israel. Currently on the move.Toys: Fire Poi. Been twirling for: Almost a year now.Occupation: Best i can think of is Travelling musician.Hobbies other than obvious: Diving,Aikido,reading,travelling, digeridoo, guitar, tabla, bartending. Meetinnnnnnng people (yes, it is a hint wink).Favourite Quote/Saying: Well. It changes every once in a while but lately it has been a quote by Nelson Mandela that is a bit too long to appear hear. Check out this page - https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001221.htmlBest
twirling related moment in life so far: It was one day in Goa,India. Everything went wrong and humanity had reminded me of it's ugly sides. Full of anger I spun some fire alone on the beach and two minutes later I found the fire outside absorbing the fire that was inside. I realized Poi are not just a toy.Shine on,Itai[This message has been edited by FireDragon (edited 29 August 2001).]

Shine on you crazy diamondPink Floyd

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Name: OliSex: MaleAge: 19Location: London and Oxford, EnglandToys: fire poi Have been twirling for: 2 monthsOcupation: Not a lot (ie student)Other hobbies: reading, skiing, clubbing Favourite saying: Chill, Winston!Most Viewed Movie: Star Wars

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
Name:Girl From Mars (Laurie)Sex: female (even though this is very highly debated among my close friends)Age: 20Location: Syracuse, NY,originally from Mars of courseToys: fire poi, glowstick poi, comet poi,diaboloBeen twirling for: about 2 yearsOccupation: graduated student looking for jobHobbies other than obvious: video games, computer graphics, readingFavourite Colour: yellowMost viewed Movie: empire records, soon to be tomb raider.Favourite Band: No Doubt------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Plasmatormember
4 posts

Posted:
I post rather infrequently, but here ya go anyway smileName: Bob.Sex: Male (Don't know too many Bob-girls)Age: 20 (1 more month, then I can drink smileLocation: Austin, TX, USAURL: https://www.plasmator.net/poiToys:
Mainly poi.Been twirling for: about 4 monthsOccupation: Code MonkeyHobbies other than obvious: Kites, Explosives, theatre, technical theatre, computers.Favourite Colour: blackMost viewed Movie: Princess BrideFavourite Quote/Saying: a bunch at https://www.everybodylovesbob.com/test.shtmlBest
twirling related moment in life so far: 3 of us lit the ground on fire, then spun poi around it. Pics are at the poi link above.------------------"Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation,Heaven in its infinite mercy sends them a nice plump missionary." - Oscar Wilde https://www.plasmator.net/poi

Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation,
Heaven in its infinite mercy sends them a nice plump missionary.
- Oscar Wilde

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Name: Neeko (Nick)Sex: MaleAge: 20Loc: Seattle, WA, USAToys: poi (usually w/ glowsticks, dabble with fire), devil stick and german wheelBeen twirling for: about 4 monthsOccupation: student with part time job at a video storeOther hobbies: drawing, reading, writing, rollerblading, and drinking too much coffeeMost viewed movie: At the moment, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrells and Cirque du Soleil's 'Quidam'Favorite color: BlueFavorite quote: "Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert EinsteinFavorite twirling moment so far: recieving a enthusiastic round of applause after swinging poi for a few minutes at party

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Name: Sorcha the Flaming (Haley)Where?: Calgary Alberta CanadaToys: fire poi, fire staff, fire baton, beaming poi, home-made sparkler poi, glowsticks.. anything ic an set on fire and get away with it.How long? about 2 years for poi about 4-5 months for staff.Astro signs: Gemini, (air makes the fire burn brighter *lol*)Fave book- Mists of AvalonFave movie- too many to list.. tank girl and the fifth elementOther hobbies- medieval recreational sword fighting costumes makeing etc..------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
Name: Matthew BeattieSex: MaleAge: 20Location: Hydepark, Leeds, UKURL: (ill post it up once its finished winkToys: UV/normal looking poi, a lovely cute cuddly n snuggly girlfriend...heheBeen twirling for: about a year on n off getting back into it now though...they broke n i just got some new ones...YAY!!Occupation: none as yetHobbies other than obvious: going to raves, dancing(liquid), playing my jaw harp, spending time with friends and meeting new ones all the time...Favourite Colour: anything illuminous or reacts oddly under UVMost viewed Movie: Monty Python's Life of Brian, The LabyrinthFavourite Quote/Saying: "if thou shalt harmeth none, do ast thou wilt, lest in defence"Best twirling related moment in life so far: this weekend as it happens...hehe...i was at an illegal rave just outside of york in the middle of the most amasing and tranquil forest ive ever seen...id taken a few happy pills n then offered a bag of dried mushrooms there were about 70/80 or so in the bag...id never had dried ones before and i wasnt warned of the effects...an hour or so later(it was about 5 am at this point n the sun was rising) there was a guy there with his UV poi so i asked if i could play he handed them to me very happily with a very big smile... smile i then proceded to twirl...i came up off the shrooms in a big n happy way...i cant explain waht i was seeing whislt twirling but i can assure you it was out of this universe...im not saying you should try this...im just saying that it was the best twirling moment ive ever had...*smiles*this was also the first time ive ever twirled poi on xtc...*smiels n huggles*goafire

**SMILEY**member
6 posts

Posted:
Name: **SMILEY** (Mick)Sex: MaleAge: 26Location: Melbourne AustraliaToys: Single fire staffBeen twirling for: 6 monthsOccupation: StudentFavourite Quote/Saying: "Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all itwas: just curiosity." (Morrison in LA,1969)Best twirling related moment in life so far: With out a doubt would be the first time I lit that staff..ever since then I can't get enough!!!Email: mick_r@iprimus.com.auICQ: 18512030

Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity. (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i guess it is finally my turn.age 23, male, tall and skinnymy name is michael posey, pronounced po-zeefriends call me the latteri do fire poi, poi, glowsticks and biginning staff since [josh] got me hookedbeen spinning for almost 2 years on and offjob: i build bombs missiles and rockets and fix the gun systems, all for the big jets.best moment in twirling, all of them, but i was especially giddy to spin with josh and katinca, and my first performance last weekend.worst moment, got lots of those and some of them still hurti love the outdoors, living on the beach, skiing in the snow, and backpacking through foreign countriesborn on the same day as santa claus december 6 1977. sagitarius and a snakefavorite sayings, "oops" "whats next"oh yeah and i live in san diego thats it!!now im gonna click my heels and go home.

anyone got a light?

Santomember
9 posts

Posted:
Name: Gene MillerSex: MAge: 20Location: Tasmania, AustraliaToys: fire poi, fire breathing usually with a bit of acrobatics thrown in.Occupation: Science Student, Tas UNIHobbies other than obvious: Living in and investigating around the most beautiful place on earth, Restoring and riding vintage Vespas, Saving Tassies old growth forests, Ramp skating, snowboarding, sailing, Raves, outdoor doofs, NOT watching television, playing guitar and singing in a loud and intoxicated way with all my wonderful friends. Fav Movie:Fear and Loathing, Lock Stock, City of lost childen. Favourite Quote/Saying: "looks like we're all afraid of breakfast... again.", "This is not a good town for psychedelic drugs"Music: tony joe white, taj mahal, ben harper, ani difranco, shiva shidapu.Fav Authors: Carlos Casteneda, Hunter S. Thompson, Poppy Z. Brite, Dr Zuess (The Lorax, man, thats what kids should be reading) and whoever wrote 'Trout fishing in America' if you can find this book, it will blow your mind!Favorite ally: psilosybin.General: Due to a strange chemical inbalance I can never be sad or depressed, I live in a constant state of extacy... Which is nice, one less thing to worry about smile If you ever come to tassie tell me and I'll take you into the rainforest and show you the truth about the world... maybe.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
bumping for all the newbies smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
Name: Eugene Sex: MaleAge: 17Location: Brooklyn, New YorkURL: ive got pics...but they r ooooldToys: Orange glowsticks that r attached to the drawstring of my old KikWear Pants (69" openings dudes and dudetts)Been twirling for: appx 1 year and loving itOccupation: studentHobbies other than obvious:Starcraft kiks ass, biology (imma dork..ur point), music, working outFavourite Colour: ORANGE!!Most viewed Movie:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 or 1 (3 sucked), Transformers, Mallrats Favourite Quote/Saying: Be baby free.. cover your tree... or just "Slipknot sucks"Best twirling related moment in life so far: When i got the weave down...man o man did that open doors...

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Name: ShannaSex: femaleAge: 22Astrology: CapricornLocation: Sydney AustraliaURL: https://wickeffect.cjb.net/,
https://wormz.cjb.netToys: poi, staff, doubles (starting), clubsBeen twirling for: about 9 monthsOccupation: geekHobbies other than obvious: horse ridingFavourite Colour: blueFavourite Drink: blue cordialFavourite food: anything with choy-sum and mushroomsFavourite animal(s): dogs and horse, i cant decide.Most viewed Movie: The Life of BrianFavourite Quote/Saying: "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by,And that has made all the difference." Robert FrostBest twirling related moment in life so far: I dont think that i can really think of a best right now. Maybe later.------------------Frenzie - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net**Updates to page coming shortly**[This message has been edited by Frenzie (edited 20 September 2001).]

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Hey! slipknot does not suck! grin

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Name: Mystik (Ling)Sex: femaleAge: 16Location: Maryland, apx. 25 miles from DCAstrology: gemiToys: glowsticks and strings, computer( ~200 mp3s)Been twirling for: 2 weeks tongueFav colors: blue, and HOT PINK (inside joke). No. Blue and RedFav movie: Star Wars, The Matrix...Fav music: rock, techno/trance, punk, metal, country...folk...etcHobbies: dancing, singing, writing, acting, dreaming, music, gamingOccupation: Prison..I mean...school...fav quote: "Holy flaming balls of Fire!"-- (Ling, playing Diablo 2)Best twirling moment(so far): A mother with her child says, "isn't that beautiful!" The little girl says, "that's so pretty, how does she do it?" ( wasn't even doing anything spectacular!)E-mail: deathrose220@yahoo.comICQ: 27222093 smile smile-=M-D=-[This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 20 September 2001).]

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
Name: Kneurbit (nur-bit) or also refered to as GraemeSex: Male Age: 25Location: Seattle, WashingtonImplements of destruction: Poi, Rope, ClubsBeen actively spinning: for 2 monthsDay job: Aircraft MechanicHobbies other than the obvious: industrial dancing, martial arts, snowboarding, costuming and props, reading (yeah, old fashion books).Lit up for the first time last weekend. I'll be hooked forever more...

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
Name : JohnSex : ...JohnAge : 19Location : middle of iowaToys : glowstring, poi, firepoi, some manriki chain(ouch!)Been twirling for : 1 1/2 yearzFavourite Colour : anything that glowzFavourite Quote/Saying : "if we do not live for this, then why do we exist"Best twirling related moment in life so far: pulled a 7point chase once and never again :/ -------------------------------------NeVeR St0p ThE RavE

GlowJedimember
13 posts

Posted:
Name: Chris Hubbard (Glow Jedi, Jedi)Sex: MaleAge: 23Location: San Antonio, Tx, USAToys: Multiple glowsticks, occasional fire (I ususally use 2-6" and 1-10")I've twirled for 2 yearsOccupation: RetailFav movie: Any scifiFav saying: Stop poking me!!!

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Name: Fire Princess (Rachel)Sex: FemaleAge: 21Sign: Metal Monkey/TaurusLocation: Camden, London/ North Laine, Brighton.Toys: Fire poi, doubles, zunis, glowsticks, staff.Been twirling for: 2 years (poi). Just started on staff...Hobbies other than obvious: 'Adventure sports'(anything that will almost kill you!),role-playing computer games (geeky, I know), reading, salsa, climbing trees, eating ice-cream, jumping in puddlesFavourite Colour: blue and silverOccupations: Psychology Student, office gimp, serving wench. Most viewed Movie: Requiem for a Dream (well I haven't seen it lots of times, nor would I want to, but it's the best film I've ever seen), Point Break, The Usual Suspects, Annie(!)Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings (has to be, really).Favorite Music: Grunge, dodgy 80's rock music (yes indeedy, Bon Jovi), 70's funk, prodigy, chemical brothers, Fatboy Slim...too many to list.Favorite Animal: Dogs and snow leopardsFavourite Quote/Saying: Treat others as you wish to be treated (or something like that - I think it's from the Bible, not that I'm religious)Best twirling related moment in life so far: When it just finally 'clicked'. I can't really explain... I was twirling with Diana and had just learnt 'the fountain' and whereas before everything had just seemed like a succession of moves, now it felt like everything flowed together beautifully without me having to think about it...Trippy...

hrh_telamember
2 posts

Posted:
I'm new to this so forgive any SNAFUs.Name: SaraSex: FemaleAge: 23Location: Cincinnati, OH (I'd rather be other places though)Toys: Currently only glowsticksBeen twirling for: about 2 weeksOccupation: Dramaturg and Box Office Manager at the Cincinnati Shakespeare FestivalHobbies: reading, writing, touring with bands (Phish, SCI, moe. etc)Favorite color: purpleMost viewed movie: PCU Favorite Quote: "The trick was to surrender to the flow"Best momment twirling: the momment I started.Looking forward to getting to know all of you.------------------The trick was to surrender to the flow. -Phish

The trick was to surrender to the flow. -Phish

Page: ...