Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
I have started to really get sick of people watching me twirl. I have not used fire in a while so I have been mainly using Glowing equipment.

The other day I got told it was boring they wanted fire. Then they go off and say oh he's too afraid to use it lit up. Does anybody else get remarks like these.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Xtremely Flameable:
I have started to really get sick of people watching me twirl. I have not used fire in a while so I have been mainly using Glowing equipment.

The other day I got told it was boring they wanted fire. Then they go off and say oh he's too afraid to use it lit up. Does anybody else get remarks like these.

I don't get remarks like that when spinning, but sometimes when riding on my unicycle get something similar.

Just ignore it, it's not like you're supposed to be entertaining them, it's totally their problem.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I've kind of had that. But the problem i have, is that i'm fine with glow poi and practice poi, but as soon as i use fire poi i lose my nerve. When people start going on at you to do it, your hearts not in it, or you are uncomfortable, and i find thats when you can mess up. Thats what happens to me any way, but im working on that:).
Generally its people who are being clever or show offy and they can't do it themselves that always make the comments.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yeah i have that all the time, for example, today at teh pub were i wrok i worked up enough balls to pick up a tiki tourch (a crappy night light style tourch) and try firebreathing for the very first and most likly last time(not cos i couldn't do it, far from it i like it, but iu had read pele's fire breathiong papaer on HOP and though it was too unsafe for me to just do again!)

ok so i am putting the fuel in my mouth and brewthing it across this flame and creating the plume of flame....and after 4-5 burst, ok its not hard but it does take some skill and i have no burns or probelsm appart from swallowing a pit of parafin fuel and bing able to tast it when i burp, i get the comments of
"is that it?"

as in thats so easy i could do it if i wanted, and so when i said go on then do it...off you go, ill set it up for you, just do it, they get all no i cant do it now i dont want to riun teh taste of my beer!

it really annoys me as well cos its always th same bloke doing it, teh one who cant do it and thinks he's clever by acting hard!

just ignore it or tell them to have a gop and if they can do it better clap and say well done and be humble!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
You could always hit back with a "Just after you do it!!!!" but that could lead to idoits with fire and that might not be as good as it sounds!!!! (they could burn you or others not just themselves)

It's all good

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive given up caring what complete strangers think of me! ive done so many silly things in public, that i simply dont give a sh*t.
try it! its quite a refreshing feeling!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I've commented to several people recently how there're three types of people who come up to me when I'm spinning:

1) "Can I give your firepoi a spin, please?" likely to get a spin -- they know what it's called, I may get them to spin unlit first.

2) "That looks really cool, can you show me how to do it?" likely to have some effort put in to show them how it works (free the memes!) -- in this case, they're not being show offy, they're often trying to show their appreciation. This is where I'm likely to help people.

3) "I can do that! Can I have a go?" likely to get handed some streamers or sock poi, if I'm in a good mood, just so I can watch them hit themselves in the nuts, and a bad mood is "nope, I think not." -- these are the kind you're talking about...

I also had some silly little girls once shout "You're not entertaining us" at me, but I think they rather missed the point. I'm not here for their entertainment, I'm here for mine!

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
My poi broke on Saturday as I was spinning fire and one of the poi got tangled in my plait (yes I know I should have worn a hat!), and no amount of shaking could dislodge it and I could not see, luckily the spectators reacted quickly and my tresses were saved! Afterwards one guy wanted me to keep swinging with one fire poi, but at this stage I was knackered had no desire no spin with 1 poi, I did offer to spin my electoglo's which I love, but at 5.30am I was in no mood to perform. They were a nice bunch of people and cool with that, especially when they realised I was there spinning for fun and as a friend and not being paid.

Its funny, but non spinners will always think the fire is more impressive, even if I don't lose myself in the dance as much as with ribbon poi as I have to consider not setting things on fire in a small space! I still love fire, and playing with fire, its very special, but I'm long past the 'oooh fire..' stage. Don't worry about others watching you twirl, just have fun, you are doing it for you not others, they don't have to watch if they find it boring.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
what i hate is idiots that are driving past and shout out stupid things like "put out the fire" and stuff along those lines its really annoying when your just getting into the zone and some moron jars you out of it.

to get away from it we moved teh twirling session down by the river in town to be away from the road, but then once the footy was over we had all the same morons walking by shouting stuff out. *sigh* some ppl just really should have had their vocal cords removed at birth.

at my first performance at this doof in the park i was spinning as fast as i could and i dropped the stick and some idiot had to yell out "you dropped it" i was not impressed at all but i kept spinning anyway after we finished he came up and said he didnt mean anything by it and that it was really cool to watch, i guess some ppl just speak without thinking inferiority complex or something

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
With the fire breathing most people would say "oh thats easy I can do that.

They don't realise that there is a big chance of blowback if you don't work it out correctly. Fire breathing may look easy but it ain't it is also one of the most dangerous fire arts.

With the unicycles I know what you mean. We have a Flameable Shop up here and I ride the unicycle there every now and then. People walk pass the store and just stare at you as if to say "what an idiot" or "Go join a circus". They do take much better to stilts though.

XF

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
i was poiing in oxford once and... for the very first time ever... like EVER... the end of my poi came off and nearly hit this guy. i ran over and was fully expecting a barage of talk including stupid student, police and what do you think your doing... but he totaly took it in the right way. this security guard who's like 5'6" comes up with the fattest beer belly comes over with another couple of equaly old and obselete pair of geriatrics and starts with the rent-a-cop routine "is that your fire over there?" pointing to staff and the other poi. now... at this point.. you've got to understand that i know he's seen me just nearly hit this guy by accident, i know he's been watching me for the last few minutes getting all important and shit..."yes" i say....."well, put it out" he starts taking a couple of steps towards me, trying to make me move back. "this is all bloody stupid, now just..." at this point, the tubster finds my finger pointing down into his face. "give me some ****ing respect" i calmly say. "your a security guard, thats it. don't think your anything more then that" he says nothing. sputters a couple of mixed up words, starting to look embarressed at the people staring at him now. "ju....just move on yeah?" if nothing else of that night... putting the fat rent-a-cop in his place was more then worth the while.

not rely public hekling.... which you get now and again.... but i just like the story!!!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
'you dropped it' is a standard heckle any juggler /twirler is likely to hear multiple times when playing. its often a silly joke! i mean - its pretty bloody obvious that you HAVE dropped it!
treat it with a laugh and a grin, maybe a sarcastic retort "gee thanks, what would i do without you?!" it goes down pretty well.

at a crappy uni college gig, there were lots of guys who thought they were all very cool (rich all boys college), they always shouted out "show us your fire" what kind of a heckle is that. i just had to remember they are absolute nobs!

when unicycling, i always hear "youre missing a wheel." like the "you dropped it" comment, its a bit of a joke, but not very funny after hearing it 5000 times. remember to laugh!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.