Page:
AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i always seem to be in long flowy skirts, which is not always easyi dont have special twirling clothes but soon i would like to make some costumes.maybe some pants. i dont think i've ever twirled in pants! i think a giesha girl dress with pants would look good....what are peoples ideas on costumes?

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i only do glowpoi, but i spin in just boxers and baggy jeans. it works for me, but i've never tried to light myself on fire either. i think comfort is more important than apearance.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well I have the fortune and the displeasure to have good ole Uncle Sam dictate what I may and maynot wear. I usually just wear what ever I am wearing... ya that made sence. I usually end up in some hawiian shirt and baggy jeans, and my good ole sneekers. Nuttin fancy but with anyluck by the time I get home I will be good enough with them lill glowsticks that I dont have to dress nice cuz ppl will be looking at the pretty lights rather than my dorky pre-melenium garb. haha was that PC or what?!?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
pc = pretty confusing... ;-)

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Usually I wear a pair of tightish, black flared corduroy jeans, these help with doing leg wraps a lot. As for a top, I usually wear a purple tye-dye cotton singlet. However if I get hotter, I usually wear a crop top of some sort. Occasionally I wear a long brown, Indian wrap skirt. I am trying to learn how to twirl in it and do wraps, you can do it by putting your leg out of the split and wrapping the poi on your bare leg. But it's pretty tricky. I am told that it looks really fantastic though, so I have to keep practicing.I have also purchased some belly dancing chains, which I am looking forward to trying out on Friday night.Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Over my nakedness I wear fitting cargoes - they don't get in the way and I can carry a large jet lighter and a box cutter in 'em. dark clothing so new singe marks do not detract from the performance, and a black cotton vest - a good way to fasten loose clothing to your body without changing into something else. But for glow shit there's less need for dark clothing since I generally perform that in an MDMA context.for daytime staff/poi, i wear clothes. then i pat myself in the left ear while farting.hope this helps!------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day." =P

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Being one of those Gothic types my twirling gear is prodominantly black however being one of those creative types I added some bits to my clothes.I wear a pair of black jeans with a red flame pattern I aded to them that goes up to the knee and a black sleaveless T-shirt with a red flame shaped 1/2 shirt over the top. I also wear a pair of old boots that have the arch of the sole cracked the whole way through which give flexibility and stability.------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I would do it nude...only joking, I usually wear what i feel comfortable in. If i try fire twirling, I'd try it topless (I'm a bloke) just wearing trousers, well... I dunno, it'd look cool! grin (Even though i am a bit porky)I just go with the - if it's comfortable, wear it... But nothing too baggy for fire twirling, especially some shirts I've seen with long dangly bits off them... Imagine those catching on fire with fire poi... or even getting tangled up with the string while twirling normally!!! shockedSomething for the bloopers methinks!!!*Shirt gets unwound by twisting around poi strings*Now that would be a very cool idea!!! Watching the shirt unravelling (sic) while twirling, any nice ladies up for that being staged? winkSorry i kinda went off at a tangent there!!! There's no stopping me! tongueTaStu (spin doctor)

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

Missymember
10 posts

Posted:
like others have said, i try to wear as little as possible,natural fibers are best for less injuries. We discovered that you can line synthetic fibers with natural ones to help minimise the chance of them melting to your skin if you do catch fire. Mostly no matter what i wear i like to go on stage wet, soaking wet if its not freezing out.

6,978 posts

Posted:
What better costume idea than the Staff-twirling God of Monkeys?
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Posted by Bendy:*wishes he had a sequinned bra in which to spin* hmmm, id much rather have the wish of watching saffire spin in it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
I have a pair of black dickies that that I ALWAYS spin in and they have a big hole in the ankle from fire, and usually that's about it. and shoes of course. smile I also have that "I like fire" shirt Pele was talkin about, but i like irt too much and don't wanna set it on fire LOL.keep it PLURal Jon I.

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Mornin everyone..Morning Redragonx.. other dragon huh? how did you get your name hunny? (just realised that it was an old post)I usually wear jeans and a cotton hoodie.. got long red hair which I am very attached to.. grinbut in the summer I try to wear as little as possible to show off my body art.. which means hipsters and little tops.. but when I'm practising I cover up.. thinking of gettin so leather gloves as I burnt my hand the other nite.. ouch..Advise needed.. I washed my hand and did the ice thing for the burn, but I have got lots of little itchy bumps where the burn is.. am I allergic to my fuel?? I use parafin (dirty smelly stuff, but it's cheap to practise with)[This message has been edited by RedDragon (edited 21 February 2002).]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

6,978 posts

Posted:
Fear the twirler with loose fitting clothes, for theirs will be a fried butt =)
Political hatreds are funny.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
i usually just wear leather pants and a little cotton singlet or fitted cotton jumper in winter and in summer, i wear jeans or shorts or whatever i put on that morning (i dont own any plastic pants) and a little cotton black bikini top.. And i always wear my brown and beige llama wool beanie to protect my hair. Sometimes i even put bandaids over by peirced belly, due to clobbering myself with the end of a poi twice in one night and almost ripping it out... not cool!!

[ 17 April 2002, 18:07: Message edited by: sarah... ]

Fire... A bushmans telly

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
I wear a white top with scratch marks ( made and designed by me ) and usually jeans or a rusty green pair of cargo trousers. It's easy to do the splits in cargo trousers, I haven't tried doing the splits in my jeans but it seems possible, try it tonight at AdelaideFireNight.

PS - Josh it's David I do come to your Fire Nights

[ 19 April 2002, 18:16: Message edited by: TopHat ]

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I like to wear anything that's synthetic. Nylon especially. I enjoy adding an extra element of danger when spinning

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
i like to wear 2 fig leaves and some rhubarb to cover my-self when i twirl... I find the fig leaves are fine, but I am looking for an alternative to the rhubarb, as I am havin a reaction to the leaves...

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:
I Dressed up as a nurse once!

I always manage to burn myself so ive stopped worrying about what i wear!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I can't top Bender, but I have a pair of cherry red cargo pants that fit pretty tightly. They are synthetic, but I've also held a lighter to the and they do not burn. I've hit myself with flaming poi a few times while in the pants and the black mark wipes right off.

On top, I wear a black fitted cotton muscle shirt OR a tight white cotton T-shirt. I also have a tight-fitting T-shirt that says "DEMON" in big-firey red and black letters. But I reserve that one for raves and gatherings of freaky people.

And then black sneakers.

The point is that my colors are red, white, and black. I've often thought about coming up with a better/more original costume, but I figure that it's not really about the costume, it's about the dance, no?

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

6,978 posts

Posted:
I swear, this costume would make an awesome goth-cyberpunk firetwirling outfit.
armored. dark as fire soot. evil lookin. fitted, for all those figure hugging tuck moves. and for the exceptionally skilled, no hair covering.
/wishes he had man-breasts.

Non-Https Image Link

wooty.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Come Piggy... to the Nimbus cloud... Hey... wait a sec... wasn't that just a pic of Monkey Magic??? I gotta stop eating those mushrooms...

------------------
No harm, no foul.

[ 03 June 2002, 17:25: Message edited by: Arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Arsn:
I gotta stop eating those mushrooms...
now that we're 2 days into munchroom season, who else in melb area are harvesting??? maybe we should plan a whacky twirl session later this month for all this sillycibin action.
If you don't believe me, take all your albums, all your cds and Burn 'em. cos of all that firetwirling that's enhanced your lives throughtout the years......
rrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
ex-army combats and the sleveless spiral t-shirt I made the other day - sometimes with my waistcoat over the top. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid about my hair, I've got a heavy cotton headscarf I wear too. Hmmm, maybe I should get rich so I can follow mushroom season around the world

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
I generally wear plain black pants or bluejeans and a shirt (usually clingy tshirts) i can move in. And my 10-hole Greasies, which i love. Wore some low platform sandals yesterday, but they're aren't too good to dance in. I like sleeveless or very short sleeves, but when it cools down i'll wear longsleeve tops as well. Most of my tops are cotton or rayon w/ a touch of spandex. Not having done any performance spinning, i don't have any costume outfits worked out, but i have enough snazzy clothes (mostly rayon) that i could manage something...
The upside and downside of my Playboy bunny-gone-to-seed build:
Downside- Topless spinning is not an option for me.
Upside: I can wear almost any plain tight monochrome outfit and it looks costumey.
Sometime here i'll have my sewing-goddess sister make me some bitchin' outfit from leather scraps.

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i do fire shows in a yellow leather pikachu outfit, with portable van der graff generator and a 3 foot flaming weenie. beat that, yo. if you don't get that, glad, you are.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
p.s. bendy, where did you find a piccy of every one of my ex-girlfriends? mreowr! shrooomy dooomy i've been pretty loony lately, too! weeheee! jam? don't lets be silly!

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
p.s. bendy, where did you find a piccy of every one of my ex-girlfriends? mreowr! shrooomy dooomy i've been pretty loony lately, too! weeheee! jam? don't lets be silly!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Jade, leather sounds cool, but I dunno about rayon. I think the stuff catches fire fairly easily, and melts.

Another material that could be useful is the kevlar/cotton blend that they use in protective jeans for bikers.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

6,978 posts

Posted:
Um when we say leather are we talkin' light malleable flexible close fitting leather, or are we talkin' heavy armor class 3 night-elf leather?
I guess a mix of the two (say the lighter/flexible leather over joints, heavy armor over bits hit the most.) what would brian boytano do?

Rockstar, you fans need joo!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i got biomechanically engineered skin grafted kevlar/spider thread/pneumatic strength enhancing "leather" armor with light bending properties and retractible forearm chain (poi) handles and uberbrow flamethrower equipment in the tooshie area. urine and feces are processed in these catchpockets and circulated by foot pumps. then i drink it. YUMMY. needs a bit of high fructose corn syrup to make it go down. like everything else, apparently. old skool to the next level

Page: