Page:
Polifeciomember
27 posts

Posted:
For all theese people that doesn't know what capoeira is , it is a martial art convined with dancing , and you can do flips and all crazy things .

I want to know if somebody thinks that convine capoeira with poi is posibble , and if someone know somebody that does it please tell me.

Cheers

THE BEAM WILL BE WITH YOU... ALWAYS

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
There are a few HoPpers here that do combine capoeia(or however it is spelt), but I am not totally sure who all does.

I can do the genga(sp) just not with poi...yet!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:

yup. Have started capoeira precisely for the combination.
Fortunately- there is already a thread here

Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

KoRemember
25 posts

Posted:
yeah man, you can do it, but is very dificult, 'n u' need a lot of concentration, an focus.

you can try first whit the ginga and wave, or whit some armadas.

i saw a video from brazil, a mestre doing parafuro and mariposa whit poi. man, that's so cool, but you need been an expert whit the poi or an expert in capoeira.

bueno hermano, cuidese, la neta esta medio cabron, pero de ke se puede se puede, solo hechale ganas y trata de hacerlo primero con las cadenas apagadas y ke no te de miedo el madrazo.
camara...

Have you ever had a dream, KoRe, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dreamworld and the real world?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
true capooeira involves a life of music, fun, agility, strength, lessons and singing as well as regular batizados.

excellent poi technique incorporating capoeira does not need true capoeira.
it only needs capo movement(eg role, au) and floreio(eg mariposa, au sem mao). Kicks are more difficult to excuate without breaking your flow - the spinning flying kicks such as the parafusoo are best for that (thankfully i learnt it a few months before the COL4 entry date it's similar to the wushu tornado kick)
but any martial art is only learnt safely and truly at an escola!

and for goodness sakes, bandage up your feet when you practice capo! ohhh the blisters!!!! :trembles:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NoUsmember
35 posts

Posted:
i think its great... i practice capoeira but i think it would be super difficult to do something of the things i do... like makako with poi... but if you find a way let me know!!!

mmmmmm... I really don't know...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i do a bit of Maculele with fire its a good way to become more aware of hand movements when playing capoeira, ive found its easier to flow with than with staff. same deal with poi, i find doing it really really slowly allows you to think and feel your way through the movements.

bender just put some meths on the blisters and theyll harden up, besides you only get blisters for a little bit when your feet are soft

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
Have a friend here at OK, a great capoerist, full of energy, practically unstoppable (movement wise, he can't stop moving, I think he needs ritalin or something, but that would destroy a work of martial arts methinks, so no he can be as hyper as he needs), extremely agile, fit, and flexible.

The guy can move better than any of the breakdancers here I've seen, and a few of them have tried poi too. However even with all his skill he found that all he could really combine was the jenga and a few kicks with his poi...... too much relliance upon planting the arms to get that distinctive movement and flow down.

I myself, having learned from him (I suck at capoera though, so this isn't like an expert opinion), tend to agree. I enjoy practicing capoera but it just relies so much on being able to plant on my hands that poi would just be way too in the way.

Anywho, my take on it.

No one knows me like I do.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
try slipping the two poi onto one hand and butterflying/corkscrew with it, frees up one hand

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

6,978 posts

Posted:
^^indeeddly!
when poiing and executing acrobatics that require handplanting -capoeira or otherwise- it's sometimes good to get into it with a horizontal bfly. of course it will fly at head level if you execute a macaco :gulp!:
of the two most heard of forms of capoeria, 'regional' (pronouinced hee-jon-nahl) is more about rapid flowing movement and floreio, heaps and heapsof florio! the meandering pace and low stances of 'angola' are far lesss suitable for poi.
like any martial arts, you don't just learn the move, you learn it with context and in combination with other moves, i.e. never just jinga when someone's kicking you over with an armada, and don't macaco directly away from your opponent/partner as turning your back is one of the forbidden things to do in capoeira.
(ps soon ima put an animation of a parafuso kick with doublestaves up! yum fun yum )

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well wicked what movements are you doing with the staffs when you do parafuso? i so cant wait to see the video

Polifeciomember
27 posts

Posted:
Hey thanx everyone, if one day I'll convine them I wil upload the video.

I was just thinking if someone knows about some videa that I can download, i wold be very happy.

and for those who want to practice, I am all ears, just ask

thanx again

Polifeciomember
27 posts

Posted:

6,978 posts

Posted:
^^^ heh heh is that maculele?

Non-Https Image Link

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
just a question for the capoeirians, (is that a star sign?)
are there any there who have done capoeira and more traditional martial arts? the reason for my question is im intensly curious as to how much is funky spinning shite that looks good for an exhibition, and how much much has practical value is a more sparring martial arts situation.

ive studies karate and aikido in the past, in which most other senseis and students where quite disdainful of capoeira as all show and no substance - kind of like the infomercial aerobic Tae-bo. what do you guys feel about capoeira compared to other martial arts in that respect???

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

6,978 posts

Posted:
first and foremost, why do you want to fight?! just kidding, i see your point man.
capoeira requires and demands cooperation. there is no block, simply a esquiva (leaning escape such as negativa, esquiva lateral, cocorhino) away from the current attact at leaves one vulnerable to further attack. capoeira is just as much a culture as it is a martial art/dance. a Proper jogo (game) of capoeira is practiced in a a roda (circle of capoeristas) and is this regard, it's as much a musical ritual as it is a martial art. In places like australia, we are removed from the brazilian reality of tougher capoeira, favela culture and share no direct bond with the origianl Quilombo history, save for the odd Max Cavalera poster . Although the history of Capoeira spans back 400 years to a fight for freedom from portugese slavers, wushu (or as what most people would call 'kung fu') originated in a very violent and politically naughty area of the world. i can say naughty, right? whereas we have certain types of capoeira developed as a way of hiding a combat form (many angola movements with feet and arms close together originated from the awful era when those feet and hand were bound) wushu was developed as full blown warfare. If course it affects the issue that the shaolin temple was the first central collecting point -a martial arts university- of it's type and hence created a huge force.
It is this history that dictates the difference that you ask of.

(ironically, chinese martial arts predates most other commonly known asian martial arts, was developed by a Indian mystic called bodhiharma, who at the time wanted little more than to keep the monks from getting too out of shape for meditation, and viola, we have the 18 Lohan fist!)

today of course, this translates to much of 'kung fu' focused on winning - over yourself, your enemies, invders, that silly wooden man etc, and capoeira offers more of a celebration of a freedom that was assisted by the disguising of a martial art as a dance.

plus capoeira has more chicks. before you say anything mate, think about the marketing - kung fu flicks or brazillian dancing? it's just my observation

Polifeciomember
27 posts

Posted:
Bender that secuence is, Armada Armada martelo, Ratreira, Macaco and back fllip.

what I really enjoy about capoeira is first of all the exercise you make, and the joy of "fighting" and dancing at the same time, all the singin and clapping of the roda (circle of capoerists) makes you enjoy your self durin the fighting.

I think it's the best martial art because all that I've explained before

It also helps you alott because you learn how to reed your opponent movements and you can use that to be watchful all the time.

peace

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, I studied Hsing I Chuan for two years before Capoeira. I have also messed with Tai Chi and Wing Chun, as well as going to some fight clubs. Here is my take on things: Like EVERY martial art, Capoeira has its strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion (and it's not directed at you, but the martial art world as a whole), any martial artist that looks down upon another martial art is probably unstudied the art they are "disdaining", and has no right to comment. The Capoeira that is usually performed is meant to look flashy and showy. People are attracted to that more, so that's why we play that way in public. Capoeira actually has an intense ground-fighting aspect to it, we just usually don't show that because it's not as fun to watch.
When we play in front of people, we want them to see the celebration of freedom we find in Capoeira, not how much we could hurt each other. Study Brazilian culture and you will find that Capoeira was actually illegal for quite a while because of the lethality of the gangs of Capoeiristas. Capoeira has an amazing history behind it.

As far as it being a "practical" self-defense, let me put it like this. Kicks are always "do or die" moves. If they hit, it's usually over, if not, you are very vulnerable. So, it depends on the the situation. Also, ever tried to spar a guy that never stood still? I mean in Kung Fu, yeah, we bobbed and weaved and such, but we always had our "stance". But the ginga offers an intense variety of movements in any direction at any moment. Capoeira also incorporates some blocks, knees, and elbows similar to Muy Thai. Again, in public you don't see that, and since we usually aren't trying to hurt someone, there is no need to "show them off". But in a pinch, they come in real handy.

A lot of people don't know that Capoeira, like the Eastern arts, has philosophy and religion to it as well. Capoeiristas have a strong sense of family and honor amongst their peers. More so than many of the other martial art schools I've visited. They do have a philosophy system that looks inward as well, it just isn't propitiated thru meditative postures. At the beginning of a jogo (game), you might see a capoeirista drawing on the ground with his finger. A lot of times they are invoking deities or spirits to protect them while they are in the roda.

And the music is much more than just providing a rhthym. It helps the whole group get into one flow of energy that started the first moment capoeira was played. Like Pua Kua (one of the Neija sister arts), capoeira can become a moving meditation if you allow it to. And for many it is.

Now whether the art is practical for an individual, well, I always go to the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. You gotta do what works for you. Show yourself studied in everything, and start eliminating what doesn't work.

That's my take on things.

Thanks for opportunity to speak on this.

Agua

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi capoeira and brazilian jujitsu are extremes of each other but sometimes both enter the roda, capoeira is all about expression and brazilian jujitsu is very full contact, aggressive and lacking in style or rytheme. from what i have observed brazilian jujitsu type play is discouraged from play in most rodas, but not all.

send your karate and aikido senseis along to a brazilian jujitsu class and they will get a chance to see the darker side of the capoeira culture.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
Having been in BJJ for a few years now I was never under the impression that it was part of the capoeira culture.

I know the Gracies have fought capoeirists before, but then they've fought boxers before and BJJ isn't part of the "boxing culture".

No Brazillian Jujitsu guy I've met and trained with associates BJJ with Capoeira

Sorry if I sound pissy, I'm not, just the first I've heard of BJJ being associated with Capoeira in any way other than the fact that they're from the same country (Though BJJ is really not even a century old and stems from a Brazillian first having learned Japanese Jujitsu).

Don't use BJJ as an example of tough Capoeira ^_^ it jsut ain't so.

No one knows me like I do.

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
fun stuff.
all of its dance.

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
DaiTenshi,

As of late in Capoeira culture, there has been a some incorporation of BJJ. But I have never heard that it came from Capoeira culture either. Again, like I said, Capoeira has some nasty takedowns and ground-fighting techniques; some of these might have been incorporated into BJJ, who knows. In the end, whether it's wrestling, judo, aikido, chin na, capoeira, etc, all takedowns are pretty much similar. One style might have this or that which the other doesn't, but they all achieve the same result. And many techniques are found in all/most of the arts.

Some people argue whether or not this should or shouldn't be allowed in the roda. Some say it breaks up the flow of the "game", but does that mean it's not Capoeira? That's up to individuals to decide.

Simply simplify. ~Bruce Lee

Agua

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im really fascinated by the little known combatant elements of capoeira, I thought it was mostly entirely removed fro capoeira a long time ago.

It certainly would be nifty to see a good capoeirist mix capoeira with some other styles and become a action movie star.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
astar Mark Dacascos has done it see the movie only the strong (note all the brazilian capoeiristas i have met hate the movie) all the same its definately worth seeing.

DaiTenshi of the Mestres i have met they have done bjj and when playing in other rodas interstate i have seen capoeira games turn from capoeira into bjj maybe my statement was phrased incorrectly with the "capoeira culture" i didnt mean to give the implication that bjj is like Maculele being a direct part of capoeira more so that parts of bjj are incorperated in some capoeira schools. but these aspects dont usually surface very often unless there is some sort of dispute hence the best place to see it would be at a bjj class.

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm the drawing in the sand is derived from the catholic influences on capoeira.

also, Polifecio, you are almost correct with the animation's combo, however an armada is kicks with the lead foot heel-first, so the second move is not an armada martelo (a Parafuso is a jumping kick with the trailing foot striking inwardly) and the last move is not a true backflip as the hands are used to land (a Macaco em pe uses hands)

What name did your mestre give you? my capo name is olea de gato. seeing as I know little portugese, i needed it translated

I agree with youse that capo and bjj are different beasts in the same manner that Robbie Williams and Geri Halliwell are both british.
:imagines them both in a roda:

back to the thread topic, maculele is a fertile avenue to create torch-specific twirling movements - just not to be performed with traditional reed skirts tho!
or hairy legs

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
I'm not an expert on Capoeira, and yes, the Catholic religion played a part in Capoeira, BUT Capoeira has its own Theology, and it just fused with some of the Catholic Theology. Like when we sing "Ai, ai, ai, ai Sao Bento me chama" Sao Bento is the catholic symbol that took over for their incarnation of God as the God of War, Orixas (I think). Nestor Capoeira goes into that in his Little Capoeira Book. I haven't read his new one yet, but will really soon.

Their theology is in some ways similar to the Bhakti Yoga theorys of the Godhead. You have "God" as undefiniable, infinite. And this "God" must reveal itself through different limited incarnations (gods). Which is also much like the Hebrew Kabbalah theories. It's very cool, but is hardly taught presently in America.

And some Capoeiristas are drawing more than a crucifix. From what I remember from my studies, (which could be faulty of course) sometimes it's the name of the incarnation of the Deity, sometimes a glyph supposed to have magical powers to protect or strengthen the skin against the knives or razor blades that were stuck between the fingers and toes of the capoeiristas of old. I'll comment more after some more study.

Ciao,

Agua

6,978 posts

Posted:
heh yeah agua, it kinda reminds me of maximus from galdiator when he touches the soil before battle, though i don't think russel crowe could sing in portugese or any other language for that matter.. you'd just end up hearing 40 odd minutes of grunts. or i could be wrong.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
bender according to babelfish around the world olea de gato translates to olea of cat. so yeah the olea bit i dunno ask your mestre? how come ur mestre didnt tell u why he named you the name he did?

i was named o lobo (the wolf) based on new years stuff by my original capoeira teacher arnaldo junior when we went to train with mestre val boa morte he renamed me to gênio (his computer was full of viruses and trogens and i fixed it all up in half an hour so apprently that makes me a genius hence the name) but i now train with the chan man so i dont use those names anymore

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
Russel Crowe...grunting...in Portuguese...not cool. Please don't ever bring that up again

I actually have three names. Two official. One they just use to rag on me.

Agua I got because I always bring water to class for everyone.

Pokemon: We were partying over the weekend and the Mestre's from Brazil, me, and some of the students just crashed at the house we were at. I crashed on the floor. When I woke up in the morning, Mestre Parada was walking by and my hair was all spikey/messy/bedhead looking (which is the way I wear it anyway), and he pointed at me, said something in Portuguese, and said, "Pokemon".

Because I contact juggle, and bring my acrylics everywhere and am usually playing with them, my buds in class call me Tres Balas. I'm not so fond of that name, oh well.

Ciao

Agua

I've also found that the religious aspects of Capoeira are for the most part brought in by the individual. There is nothing wrong or right in the roda of Capoeira. Atheism to Pantheism, whatever. Some teachers incorporated it into their teaching, and some, like Mestre Bimba, wouldn't use an atabaque because of its use in religion (and he wanted the two to remain separate). So there's a little bit, I still have a lot more to study...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
thanks for the info guys. ive been searching for a new martial art to try (got bored with karate after 3 yrs, aikido didnt give me a decent workout). ive been considering hapkido, but might drop by a capoeria class sometime to check it out a bit more.

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
No problem. If you get into it and like it, be sure to keep in contact with your fellow capoeiristas here. There is so much to learn from every style of Capoeira. And I'm always wanting to learn more from others.

If it doesn't tickle your fancy, then keep looking for something that does.

And please be careful, stretch a whole lot, and think about strength training if you don't already. I popped my shoulder out of socket last Friday doing a handplant L-Kick. Luckily, it popped back after 5-10 seconds, but it still messed me up. It will probably be a month and a half (or more) before I can get back to doing a lot of the movements. It's no fun. Be sure to listen to your body. Push it, but not over do it. Stretching right before and right after class helps a whole lot. You probably know all this with your prior experience, but it bears repeating.

Axé,

Agua

Page: