onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm looking for some music making software of a specific kind.

I used to have a free cd with a program called something like e-jay.

It was a simple 'drag and drop' sample thing, very easy to use.

I got fed up with it cos it needed the cd to work and crashed too much.

Does anyone know of something similar i.e: -

a selection of samples that you drag and drop onto a timeline, ideally trance type samples

preferably, but not necessarily, free

ideally copyright free samples so any music made with the software can be used commercially.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
your previous program was probable Dance E-Jay, verry good program. you can now get every thing from r&b, rock, rap, trance, hard house, rap and a few other e-jay titles all using the same system. once on your computer there a loads nof free samples on the net, and with the new version(i think they are up to 4 now) you can create your own from files or keyboard in the sopftware, or mic and your own voice.
hope this helps.

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dave ill sort you out on sat when i cum up for the PIP, ill bring you a few so you cansee which ones you like and then chose the one you want!

later days

*trundles off to go look through cd stacks for dave*

Step (el-nombrie)

the_sealmember
51 posts

Posted:
Try Re-Birth for a simple knob-fiddler program.

CakeWalk is slightly more advanced but you can pick it up pretty quick or FruityLoops for it's features - I highly recommend it.

By embodying a nolstalgia for the past in new materials we retard an acceptance of the present and by extension, the future, because the future is in the present
-Guerilla Television, 1971

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
fruity loops is a pretty decent groove maker.

But if you really wanna play get yourself some cubase.

Viva UGLY STAFF

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
also Buzz can make some amazing synthy stuff, but its not very user-friendly at times. and the drums samples don't sound as nice as fruity loops'.
but it might be worth a fiddle if you can't find something else.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dave ive got yoy frooty loops, e-jay dance, audio pro 9, sounic foundry amd cubase.

il write these to cd and give them to you on sat...laters man

Step (el-nombrie)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the replies everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by Mechhead:
dave ive got yoy frooty loops, e-jay dance, audio pro 9, sounic foundry amd cubase.

il write these to cd and give them to you on sat...laters man

Mechead, thanx, I'd appreciate that.

---------------

Last night did some searching on the net for software and 'Samplisizer' cropped up a lot.

Site had a 12mb download unlimited trial version with an incomplete set of samples.

Anyone thinking of trying this software I'll let you know in advance that the 'export' function is disabled i.e. whatever you create using it will not be usable outside of the samplisizer program.

I sent a polite e-mail to the company telling them that I thought it a bit dishonest of them to not let people know about the disabled function before they go to the time and trouble of downloading the thing.

I also let them know that I would never purchase software off a company that uses dodgy ploys like this.

This kind of shoddy marketing is rife on the internet and I would urge anyone else who's sick of it to send polite and concise e-mails to the companies concerned; if they come to understand that they're actually excluding potential buyers then they'll adopt a more honest approach.

I recieved a reply from samplisizer so they do pay attention to constructive critisism.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
oh im late but if you want to put in the time reason is the best program i have ever used. its like a virtual recording studio it can do everything you can even look at the back of the devices and move cords around and stuff just like a real machine. its pretty sweet.

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
"Bump bumpity bump"

Ok, so what's the latest on good "sample-licence free", relatively cheap music making software? I had a look at some of the packages in the above forum but they are now very VERY expensive (I almost needed CPR when I saw the price of cubase!). Fruity Loops (as far as I can tell) is now FL Studios (once again, check out the price!) while Reason is still cheaper than most but still quite a lot of $$$ for someone like me who only wants to convert some of the tunes in their head into reality as a hobby (I play a musical instrument about as well as a goldfish pilots a 747). Any ideas (without resorting to piracy) would be apprecitated.

Cheers

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
Go for "Reaper 2" i reckon

www.reaper.fm

Its got a really simalar linier interface simalar to Cubase or Logic, is completley free to download (although im sure they have a paypal donations ting)

There is bundled Fx and instruments with it, but if you want different ones . . . . .

Reaper will allow you to run Vst software (synths by other developers) Which will allow you to make far out bleepy sounds. nice
For those sort of Vsts go here

www.kvraudio.com/get.php

Theres a whole database of instruments and stuff to download and run in your Daw. Hours and hours of browsing

For samples and stuff go here and regester

www.freesound.iua.upf.edu

You can download Hits, loops, animal sounds . Allsorts actually.

ALL FREE, no catch music software, that will be just that little bit more personal and educational than E-jay *cough* *kiddies program* *cough*. ubblol

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
For my 2 cents worth, I think Reason is the best piece of kit out at the moment. Cubase is more proffesional, but very pricey, and to get the most out of it you have to get more VST plugins, which is still more dosh. I use reason for pretty much everything these days.

Cheaper solutions would be something like Ejay is probably best. Sonic Foundy used to do a program called Acid, but I can't find any recent reference to it, that was good too.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Ugoagogagogogogogo knows the score biggrin

Other than that it really depends how serious you are.

If you ever used Ejay then Steinberg Sequel might be worth a look (although it cant use any plugins)
https://www.arbiter.co.uk/sequel/index.htm or https://www.sequel-music.net

Anyone who has a Mac should play with Garageband. Its amazing considering that its free.

For just over £200 you can get an MBox Mini (1Mic & 2 Line input - 2 Line out USB soundcard) with Pro Tools. You get loads of stuff with it and now it has its own sampler (Structure) plugin that will play just about any kind of patch file.

https://www.digidesign.com and click products then Pro Tools LE or https://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=104&langid=51&itemid=23596

I cant believe that EJay is still going! Does anyone remember the mouse - record scratch thing from the first hip hop ejay?

Sambo - Sonic Foundry got bought out by Sony a while ago and they have split Acid into 3 programs. I dont know any more than that though.

As a side note if anyone ever wants to know about any music related stuff just drop me a message.

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
You could always switch to Ubuntu and get the ubunt studio packages. Lots of good editing software for audio and video. Look for a ubuntu studio cd image online from ubuntu.com and run it as a live cd to do your editing if you don't want to install it. I run w dual boot windows xp with ubuntu 9.1 hope this helps as there are not many good options for windows that are free. free.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
Wow G4dget, did you just copy and paste that same response? lmao

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea someone is really happy with Unbuntu right here wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

KaspurGOLD Member
110 posts

Posted:
I was bored at work and there are multiple posts about it so why not. Lol

G4dget

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Meh. Prefer Mint. Ubuntu with fewer bugs. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

KaspurGOLD Member
110 posts

Posted:
Asking what your favorite Linux distro is could almost replace the marmite, vegemite, Nutella war on the intro threads.

G4dget

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
Except for those who don't use Linux...

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I am shocked at no mention of sibelus in this theard if u know how to read sheet music u can do almost anything with it stupidly expensive mind.

I love Cubase or cubasis there very good for drag and drop things but again very expensive just my two cents

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

lilBrobecBRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
what a great topic! I began playing piano, then bass.. and thats where I'm at. I primarily use software for recording and editing midi. I'm on an electronic trip hop trip right now. haha it's impossible to label music genre's its just aalll expression.

in any case:
I started off with fruity loops which is fun but I found it limiting. Only because I record samples and half the fun is playing with the sound wave itself.
ABLETON LIVE is a great sampling and drag-drop program. Not so much for editing samples.
I use ACID PRO to record and play with my midi as you can alter the most minute (my-nute) detail of your recording.
As for DJing with from vinyls, to cd, to MP3, VIRTUAL DJ is a great software for even live entertainment. I havn't tried it myself but DJ friends have reccommended.

if all else fails... torrent.

EDITED_BY: lilBrobec (1281743166)

<><

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Digital Vinyl - Open Source (FREE)
Mixxx (any OS) - https://www.mixxx.org/
(aweosme bit of software!)
Xwax (Linux) - https://www.xwax.co.uk/

DAW's - Open Source (FREE)
Audacity (any OS) - https://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Ardour (Linux, OSX) - https://ardour.org/
Reaper (Windows, OSX) - https://www.reaper.fm/
(not actually free but unbelieveable value at $60 US)

Free VST's
https://freemusicsoftware.org/
Too many others to mention.

Although with that said Pro Tools is by far the best DAW (cheapest entry now is the MBox Mini ~£195) and the best digital vinyl systems are Serato (with the Rane TT57SL if you have the cash!) and NI Traktor.