Forums > Social Chat > Robin Hood Tax - please view and vote

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:

We got a similar campaign in German - did my vote already.

Oztrailia and Canada opposed the tax - as I remember - claiming that their banks have not been involved in the global meltdown.

IMO a lame excuse for blocking one of the most useful taxes which take from the rich and (might) give to the poor...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
certainly sounds good, although i have to wonder what that money would be being taken out of, as stated each transaction is a miniscule amount, but say for many businesses that make hundreds or thousands of transactions a year what would they really lose? a lot more than 0.05% of one transaction... the potential effect of the redistribution of 50 billion pounds (talking uk in this scenario) or more cannot have an insignificant adverse effect on a countries economy and some businesses ability to operate in them.

like communism, it sounds great but i would be cautious of its real effect, which i cannot remotely guess, its the reason why im not an economist.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Collin_CampGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
why not just take all the richs money and redistribute their wealth to the poor. thatll really give people the incentive to work hard and be inovative so they can become wealthy only to have their well earned mulah taken by the fed too! and im sure thatll give people plenty of work to do if the rich arent spending any money. and great idea trusting the man to take care of your money. The federal government always does the right thing! Especially with our money! Down with those evil evil corporations!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
do i detect a chorus of sarcasm? or is it a full blown ballard? tongue2

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
for one - rich people don't really *OWN* all their money... their money belongs to the banks... rich people are only rich on bank account statements and the Forbes list... non of'em got the cash stashed under the pillow.

for seconds - it's obvious that this tax does mean a lot of money and that it GETS opposition of the banks... I mean 100Billion not just get created out of thin air.

Basically it's a bank tax... still can't see any wrong with that...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt presume to know the simplistic videos true effect in reality, but i would suspect that a 100 billion tax on all the banks of the uk would make it non competitive on a world market and may result in those people 'who dont have their money' removing their money from the said uk banks, leading to bankruptcy.

thats about as simple and logical to me as saying taxing banks is a good idea...

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Collin_Campwhy not just take all the richs money and redistribute their wealth to the poor. thatll really give people the incentive to work hard and be inovative so they can become wealthy only to have their well earned mulah taken by the fed too! and im sure thatll give people plenty of work to do if the rich arent spending any money. and great idea trusting the man to take care of your money. The federal government always does the right thing! Especially with our money! Down with those evil evil corporations!

clap clap clap

That is all. *disappears*

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
"Let them eat cake!"

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...