Forums > Meet Others > Rovo in Thailand September 7th thru November 2nd

Login/Join to Participate

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
So I've just confirmed travel dates to Thailand for September 7th thru November 2nd. I'm hoping to meet up with as many spinny-folk as possible and would love any info other travelers have had in the past regarding their experiences with fire spinning, people to connect with, or even just some cool places to check out during my stay in the "land of smiles". Any advice/help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please respond here or feel free to email me at chrisrovo@yahoo.com

Peace, Love, Circles

-Christopher Lee Bevington "Rovo" Bailey

Peace, Love, Circles

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Bankok: open meeting every evening after 4pm @ Pra Sumen Park (nr. kao Sarn Road and Pra Artit Pier)

Koh Phi Phi: most likely firespinning there every night @ bars - cool french guy Ben-Ji

Koh Pha Ngan: every night spinning by Thai guys @ Drop In and Cactus bars. Good idea to ask kindly if you can have a dip of their petroleum and keep it modest. Best to introduce yourself way ahead of FMP.

Overall: keep it modest, know your limits on alcohol, stay away from drugs or at least in public, careful with the "buckets of joy", don't expect to win "fire competitions" @ local bars, never argue with the locals and walk away when it comes to aggressiveness... always consider: is it really worth it? Consider footwear on a scooter or motorbike, wear a helmet and keep it low.

Other than that: enjoy - you'll have a supergood time, I'm sure.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
The big tips i wish someone had told me before my trip was that

1. people open with a starting price that is 300 - 500% of the price that they will actually settle for when haggling.
2. the thai people have mad sales skills, everyone is trying to rip you off as much as possible
3. doing a hill tribe trek is amazing
4. assume nothing and double check the price on everything, we ended up paying more than we thought for some things due to miss communications (everyone is trying to rip you off) we had taxi boats organised and paid for buy the hotel and when they dropped us off the driver tried to charge us!!
5. get at least one hours massage every 2 days
6. if your getting a suit tailored the good tailors will insist that you need a minimum of 2 fittings and will give you as many as you need without charging extra, the main price in suites is the material ... if the suit seems to cheap then your probably getting a low quality material (which is fine if you dont wear them often)
7. regardless of how curious you are about gambling on the street don't play ... its illegal

I found the FMP to be ..... interesting ..... watching the locals spinning fire skipping ropes for the drunk tourists to use until it wraps around them and they fall over .... its both shocking and entertaining ... we flew out two days after, never have i seen so many people at an airport with bandages .... like 1 in 10 people on the plane had bandages

I found there was to much to see and do so I didn't get to any of the local meets, but saw a few performers at the hotels in Koh Pha Ngan, the poi i saw was really techy and flowy, the staff was basically really fast with lots of fire ... and drops

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ben... I thought that's been part of the obvious, so forgive me for not issuing warnings regarding rip offs...

Good to hear you made it without bandages and in one piece. smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

Peace, Love, Circles