AmathriaGOLD Member
Untouchable Coffee Goddess
17 posts

Posted:
Okay, so, I've been spinning about 6 months. Some weeks are busier than others but I think I'm doing pretty good with my comfort level while spinning. I also came to find out I have pretty bad stage fright. Hah. Anyway! That is not the point of this post. I don't have any other friends that spin, or really know anything about it other than "ooooh pretty lights" so I recorded this and I hope you guys can maybe help.

I personally think I need more transitions between my moves so I'm not constantly doing the low wave and what not. Also any thoughts on ways I can improve my form would be excellent. Please help, constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Note: I just bought the 'pro series' handles because they have the pivot on the end of the handle and I think that will help with my flowers. I think I curl my arm because I'm trying to keep my planes. Not sure though, cause I haven't used them yet.

Thanks!

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
The more you learn, the more transitions you'll have. Your video looks good, you're consistent. Not constantly hitting yourself, which is even better.
Compliments on how much you've learned, at six months I was abysmal.
Your planes look clean, keep up the work on the flowers, and if you really wanna get good, learn the lingo inside and out. Youtube is an amazing resource.
Maybe you know this...
good luck!
EDITED_BY: anelaen (1276548524)

"you have to imagine the impossible is merely preposterous"

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
Thank you. I've gotten pretty good at dodging! Hahaha. I will keep trolling youtube and of course keep my eye on the tut's here. smile

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I like it. It seemed more dancy than most people smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
*uber applause* Finally another person like myself who is attempting to dance with the poi!!! Yes!!! Now dance more (like don't look hesitant to move your body and just groove with it, it's fun I swear!) and what you did will look 10X better and having the rotations match the BPM of the song you pick will help clean it up too. yes

For transitions, I noticed that you never once used the joy of stalls and they really open you up to many transitions and they give a wow appearance too. All the standard turns and extensions are simple and will open you up to more things along with learning reels on top of the waves you know and switching them out.

I think you did great and should dance a lot more than you were, clearly your body wanted to so allow it to rock out! grin

Most of my videos are on my facepage so add me if you want to have a visual reference of grooving and dancing with poi (well attempting to) YouTube keeps eating my audio tracks and forcing me to swap what I was actually spinning to so yeah I've given up on their endless audio swaps.
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1276703469)

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey as you are a dancer, my I ask... For me with zero dance background. I want to be more dancy with poi. Well by dancy I mean, hmm. I'm bad at explaining laugh3 Umm, maybe a video of a performance with lots of what I'm talking about.

Thomas kind of reminds me of a money or martial arts, and Alien John, idk it just makes me think of something urban. But I'm purely talking about foot/body movements here. Would you know how I could work on getting better at that because I can't exactly pay for dance lessons...

787 posts

Posted:
Well SoD, I think looking through beginner's and even kids level classes would help you and trying to mimic choreography without poi would be a start. This channel on youtube is actually middle school age choreography for house, hip-hop, pop/lock styles of dancing (I chose this for you because of the music styles and BPM compatibility in the videos I've seen you do) https://www.youtube.com/user/kundudance#p/u/0/rjrvOldTfZ8
I viewed all of these and the only thing needed to incorporate your poi is a change in arm stances.

Here's a beginner channel for modern (more compatible stepping stone moves for the style presented in the video you posted be sure to watch the series)

and all the ballet footwork is vital in that style to here those are

(all the related videos go through footwork and leg work)

Also look into learning some Bollywood/Hindi dance for the core and to groove like these type

(I think Bollywood and poi were meant for each other)

First and foremost try to get the feet, legs, and body moving the merge the two together. I'll edit this post with good beginners links to other styles of dance when I find appropriate channels. That should keep you busy for a bit SoD, while classes are best there is no reason why video lessons and asking for comparisons wouldn't do just as good! grin
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1276711372)
EDIT_REASON: enough links for SoD

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
EoN you have been added on fbook! And thank you for the advice. I want to start dancing around, and I don't know what I'm so reserved about it. Hahaha. I will loosen up for sure.

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
Oh also about stalls! I've played with them a little bit, but I think the weight of my poi are are inhibiting them from being really "clean." I did just order some 12.5 oz ones, so once I get those that's probably all I'm going to be practicing for a while. I'll have to upload a new video and get some more advice smile

787 posts

Posted:
Stalls are really tough without weight! The added weight will help you a ton, I honestly couldn't do tricks with fire until I moved up to the monkeyfists and I was stalling like a mad woman over the weekend. You'll get there and the new ones you have on the way will get you started. smile

I think dance and expressive movement are a very important thing to focus on if you want your poi to really appear as an extension of your body and expression. You move a lot more than many beginners I've seen spin which is good to meld the two together early on (which I'm not so techy, but getting there slowly, hoping to get newer video up soon), all in all a great start and with some tweaking and experimentation your talent will go through the roof.

Personally I've been complimented by tech spinners for my flow and to my surprise they expressed they thought I had higher skill and I've told them I thought it was the other way around. LOL I think if you have something unique and it comes natural, don't hold back. Just set yourself free and play with it! grin

~Rock on!~

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
Well I'm stoked now. Thank you. I'm glad people wont think I'm a re-re if I dance around while spinning. I love doing it. Haha.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for the videos, I'll be sure to look at those in my spare time, which I actually have less of now that school's pretty much over because i hang with friends all day laugh3

And no one herer will think you're a re-re for dancing. Poi is a type of dance smile If anything we like it much better with dance.