Page:
SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I want to get a 4 flowlight set up, flowlight heads and handles

My only qualm is that I don't plan on having cases on the handles as the cases would make them quite bulky (as far as handles are concerned) but I don't want them to just shatter if dropped so I want to know if anyone thinks this will happen

I am told the newer flowlights are quite durable, but I am admittedly skeptical.

Also, can anyone give me an exact weight of the flowlights with crystal cases and flowmass? I've been told you end up sacrificing brightness and brilliance for an unimpressive increase in weight

I really just don't want to drop a hundred bucks and end up dissatisfied

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
look up the flowtoys or HOP for the exact weights involved but you shouldn't have anything to worry about, the mass barely affects the light output but does make them a much better weight to spin with. as for the handles don't worry, flowlights are really tough, unless you were hitting you handles off something hard on purpose you'll be fine. I've been using flowtoys for years and even my oldest lights(which must be over 3years old now) and have seen some serious use are still working fine. That said if your new to doing throws etc i'd get some practice in before moving onto using a flowtoys setup just to take care of them as much as possible smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Flowlights are pretty hard. The only thing that can crack them are solid, hard surfaces (e.g bricked surfaces) and each other. All else requires a lot more force.

I've cracked two of my flowlights because I was spinning quickly and then they slipped (uncovered light on both ends), and they hit brickwork. I've hit wooden surfaces pretty hard, but it didn't crack my flowlights. Grass is trivial, it won't harm your flowlights.

Although, to put that crack into perspective, it's a barely noticeable crack going from the top of the battery door slot to the switch - it almost looks like it's part of the welding process.

In other words, it takes a hard drop on a hard surface with a fair bit of force.

Flowlight + crystal case + flowmass = 87g as far as I know

I have 18 flowlights so far. Big fan of flowlights. Plan on getting more.

Hope that helped :3

This statement is false...?

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I've had one of my flowlights crack completely while inside the cystal case and flowmass (probably due to it hitting the other poi,I don't remember it having any other major hits). But even though the outer shell of the flowlight (not the crystal) cracked completely into 2 parts, the inner workings were still completely intact and working (due to the protection of the crystal). Putting in back together was a simple glueing job. So I highly recommend getting the crystal mass, because it will definitely not break, even if everything else does. And this keeps the electronics safe.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I want a set so bad frown I dont have the money and have other things I want to buy first. It's kind of like hmm, fire or flowlights? Hmm, I'll take fire please, with extra flamey goodness. Then I actually never get around to flowlights. I'm thinking maybe set aside a small portin of what I put in for equipment aside for just flowlights tongue2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Hm, I would ALSO like to get a massive amount of fire stuff, but the truth is fire is not always available or an option. So... yeah. I have some fire stuff, but I've been growing my LED/glow/other non-fire stuff as well.

So far, Flowlights are one of my favourite additions to this collection. Not as versatile as a HoP pro-series ball (which wins just by being really simple), but it's way better in different ways. Also, the photos it makes are much cooler.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I HATE the HoP pro series balls! They are so, un-durable. Pretty much if they so much as hit a fly while I'm spinning they just turn off -.-

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI HATE the HoP pro series balls! They are so, un-durable. Pretty much if they so much as hit a fly while I'm spinning they just turn off -.-

I have to agree, my pro balls are pretty glitchy, they turn off randomly and it really angers me when I'm being photographed and we have to do it again because my light went out

I accidentally threw one against a tree (however lightly) and it hasn't worked correctly ever since, it didn't even hit the housing, it hit the soft part and bounced off onto the grass

I have considered returning them to be entirely honest

But back on topic, I am convinced to buy the flowlights grin thanks for the feed back everyone, now it is just a monetary issue

2,280 posts

Posted:
Same for me. I'm gonna pull out my replacement heads if I'm going to Detroit Techfest tomorrow. I have some that are untouched that HoP offered me to replace them. I haven't used them yet because I haven't had a situation where it's imperative they don't go out yet.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI HATE the HoP pro series balls! They are so, un-durable. Pretty much if they so much as hit a fly while I'm spinning they just turn off -.-

Mine do the same thing, every LED ball I've had so far has failed within a couple weeks at best. My flowlights have been bounce off the concrete more than once and continue to work perfectly. I've got mine in crystal cases and flowmass.

I've also used a bare flowlight as a handle, I actually find them a bit too small, think I'm going to get cases for the handles.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Then you could switch and use the one with the flowmass as a handle and use the lighter ones like glowsticks in the middle of spinning grin I just love that idea! I think I decided to screw fire snakes for now, I can just save up for some flowlights. I don't know which color it is that I see that I like the best. It's either water or water 2 I think.

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
waters got the green in there so it shouldnt too hard to tell them apart

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I checked it's water smile What I'm gonna like is that after I get my initial set. It's only... STILL $40 FOR ANOTHER PAIR! God... Flowlights are going to rob me of my money, I eventually want a flowpoi duo as well. With Water and actually looking over the video with my favorite color combination, another water, just different setting on the two.

118 posts

Posted:
what video? watermelon looks pretty awesome

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I don't know how easily members of the male persuasion can pull off looking cool while spinning something pink and glowing....

2,280 posts

Posted:
^^^that made me laugh laugh3

The video is playpoi's Dancing with Flowtoys. I love that color grin Green and blue are my two favorite colors, so that's probably why =3
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1275340199)

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
get crystal cases for your flowlights. it will be more durable! as for bulkiness, it's not...

for the weights, check it at HOP they use ounces. just convert it to grams if you want...

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
@SOD: water is better because it has blue-white and green on the bottom which makes it eye catching.. i'm not really impressed with water II because it's just blue-white and blue!

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DirtBagI don't know how easily members of the male persuasion can pull off looking cool while spinning something pink and glowing....

I've actually been thinking about getting spirit and love to put in my flowpoi duo.
Should probably get a s pair of fire first though, got water, earth, and air for now.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh I didn't know water had white in it too smile I personally love that color because, well it looks awesome grin

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i just got the waters blue/white/green they are great. i love them. also have some watermelon ones on the way

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
My current setup is crystal case + mass on the heads, and bare flowlight handles. I have parts on the way to make the heads double mass and put crystal cases on the handles because A) they are still too light, and B) I have cracked open my handles from botched throws that whip them into the (often concrete) ground. I'll let you know if I think the crystal cases make the handles any more unweildy.

As for colors, I think Air is one of my favorites because while the color may be slightly bland, they are really, really bright. I also have spirit, love, and my watermelon should be here soon. Spirit's probably my second favorite.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
im sad! my flowlights broke! i was even using crystal cases on it but after a high speed impact it just broke... no obvious cracks or something though but the internal i can hear some click-clack sound like somethings loose but can't see it and the other one just looks like nothing has happened but it won't turn on... i changed the batteries but still both won't turn on! any advices on how to troubleshoot it or something to make it work? i just had it for 5 days and it already broke on me! i thought it was a waste of money....

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Not sure if Flowtoys offers their warranty to outside purchases, but you could ask if you could get it replaced for relatively cheap.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Wow dude that sucks so much!

I checked out the flowlights with crystal cases last night and as far as handles go the cases don't add much bulk at all

Something else I noticed, they don't look like they give much protection to be honest, they are like a soft gel like case similar to something you would buy for $5 to put on your iPod - which leads me to two questions, first, do they really offer as much protection as they claim to? And, why are they so expensive? lol

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
i know it has been made tough compared to other LED toys but it is not indestructable. i mean, mine has no obvious cracks or anything, but maybe something internal broke for some reason. if only i know electronics that much then i would disect my flowlights and even modify them. hehehe!
EDITED_BY: johndhaive (1276194262)

118 posts

Posted:
@soopa ive seen them thrown against a wall in a case a couple of times and pretty hard and no damage at all. i think they work by softening any blows rather than having a solid case which can crack easily just like the flowlight itself

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
@Paddington Bear I wasn't suggesting they were useless, I have dropped my ipod time and time again so I definitely understand the use of a case like that, I was just saying that I've heard some interesting claims about the cases and that I think the price may be a little high

I'm still going to buy them lol and I guess to answer my own question, you gotta make money right?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I know they've said if they were more mass produced and they sold to masses they could afford to make it cheaper, but they're just a small business so they can't afford it though they would like to. That is actually on their website somewhere. Probably down as their story or something, it's been a while since I read it.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
inb4 "you gotta make money right?"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pretty much the reason, yeah. If there was the mass market, they could make the money with a smaller profit margin on each light (or whatever it is you are looking at). As it is, they get the money through a slightly higher price per unit, but fewer units.

At least as far as I understand it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: